Alan Pardew

Mike

I'm not being funny, if that's real then I don't know what to say.  I thoroughly disagree with almost every single point there.

So it really is real and it wasn't just the wine making me thick as f***, Jesus Christ the blokes a total clown

Jack has summarised it pretty well to be fair, although it naturally reads a lot worse in bullet points than it comes across from the horse's mouth.

I know the two interviews have just been lip service for the most part, but there are some crumbs of positivity to take from them like a few acknowledgements of his own failings, an apparent clear plan for transfers this summer and the stuff about all the young players going back out on loan/Adam Campbell being primed to push on while staying here.

While I agree that the video rather than bullets probably adds more context, it's the thing around 6 foot 4 players required and the blaming full back attacking that gets me. They wouldn't have to attack so much if the Wingers were doing it and that won't happen with Jonas out left

It's not really about routines either, tbh. It's mostly about good delivery and players who want to attack the ball.

Nah, your wrong, jumpers mate...jumpers.  They're the key. Big fuck off jumpers.

The actual quote about the fullbacks is: "it's not like we play with our two fullbacks staying at home, they're encouraged to get forward and at times it's cost us in terms of goals conceded in terms of their progression up the pitch, but they haven't delivered the goals. I think Mathieu Debuchy, to be fair, has got a goal in him and I'd like to think he'd get two or three next year."

It comes after a question related to the stat that over the two Man Utd defeats, 4 of their 8 goals were scored by defenders, while none of our defenders scored at all in the entire season (aside from Santon when pushed up at Wigan).

Pardew himself then moves it on to praise the current FB pool generally and puts a focus on the failure of the central defenders to score from set plays.

So it's not as bad as it seems by a long stretch.

It's not really about routines either, tbh. It's mostly about good delivery and players who want to attack the ball.

Nah, your wrong, jumpers mate...jumpers.  They're the key. Big f*** off jumpers.

Thing is, i'm 6 foot 3, and i'm sure some smaller lads could out jump me, nothing to do with height, although it helps for leverage

Nah, your wrong, jumpers mate...jumpers.  They're the key. Big f*** off jumpers.

Thing is, i'm 6 foot 3, and i'm sure some smaller lads could out jump me, nothing to do with height, although it helps for leverage

:lol: it's beyond belief.  It's just one of the million things he's come out with which couldn't be more wrong.

The actual quote about the fullbacks is: "it's not like we play with our two fullbacks staying at home, they're encouraged to get forward and at times it's cost us in terms of goals conceded in terms of their progression up the pitch, but they haven't delivered the goals. I think Mathieu Debuchy, to be fair, has got a goal in him and I'd like to think he'd get two or three next year."

It comes after a question related to the stat that over the two Man Utd defeats, 4 of their 8 goals were scored by defenders, while none of our defenders scored at all in the entire season (aside from Santon when pushed up at Wigan).

Pardew himself then moves it on to praise the current FB pool generally and puts a focus on the failure of the central defenders to score from set plays.

So put into context it isn't really that negative, fair enough.

What was the full quote around 6ft 4" players?

:lol: it's beyond belief.  It's just one of the million things he's come out with which couldn't be more wrong.

I know, Shola is 6ft odd and can't think the last time he powered one in. Good attackers will always score from good set pieces regardless of height. Even Owen (Judas boooooooo) had a good leap on him and scored a few headers. Only real big lad good at scoring headers in league up front is Carroll.

"We need to have more dominance in that area and it's all well and good saying the set play problem is down to tactics, delivery or whatever. Ultimately you need 6-foot-4 in this division to go and head it in or at least get first contact on it to head it across the box and we've not had that all year."

I think the corner issue is really interesting actually. I think Pardew very much subscribes to the attitude of Joe Public - that the absolute worst sin a corner taker can commit is to hit the first man. I hear very little criticism at the match of the Williamson/Taylor back post floater, in comparison to days of old when an SJP crowd could be raised to boiling point by a couple of corners being headed away at the front post.

I won't argue that there's something incredibly frustrating about seeing a corner headed away at that point but quite simply, that's the way to take a corner to average the most goals, to fizz it in, just above the first man's head - think Ben Watson in the cup final, think every corner Laurent Robert ever took. Think Ba vs Wolves! Yes when it goes wrong, it looks fucking abject but this season has almost been an experiment in the alternative, what everyone wants, "make sure you get it in the box". Turns out that's the absolute worst thing you can do.

"We need to have more dominance in that area and it's all well and good saying the set play problem is down to tactics, delivery or whatever. Ultimately you need 6-foot-4 in this division to go and head it in or at least get first contact on it to head it across the box and we've not had that all year."

That's frightening tbh. Just incredible from a Premier League manager.

:puke:

It's things like this that annoy me, forever deflecting any kind of blame and putting it on something else.  The worst for me was when he had a pop at the young'ns.

Only real big lad good at scoring headers in league up front is Carroll.

Even then I would put it more down to his movement in the box, and his aggressiveness when he attacks the ball rather than his height.

That's frightening tbh. Just incredible from a Premier League manager.

That is unreal, it's all about good delivery and the way you approach them. Big players are not always good headers of a ball, just come up with better movement and get that ball whipped in

our defensive problems come from a lack of effective pressing at times, it seems when we have the ball high up the pitch, often from our full backs pushing very when we lose the ball we don't seem to try and get the ball back and instead either commit a foul or, way too often just let the other team run at our last men back who are backtracking themselves.

I don't think we're actually that bad at defending a crowded box either, we just give the ball away too much in the first place, and then allow too many dangerous counters, no matter how good your defending is, if you let an opposition team run at any defense enough they will score. Perch in defensive midfield can do alright but does not track no 10s well at all, and tiote gives away too many set pieces in dangerous areas. I don't think we defend set pieces that badly but we just allow too many, and you're bound to conceed then.

Can't count the number of times when we played against a team where they always seemed first to the second ball, quick to close us down, whereas we couldn't get near the ball till it was around our penalty area

Only real big lad good at scoring headers in league up front is Carroll.

Even then I would put it more down to his movement in the box, and his aggressiveness when he attacks the ball rather than his height.

Exactly, aggressiveness is key, Shola around same height and soft as shit. Our other players rarely attack with a lot of venom/aggression.

And the "this league" thing always gets me. I'm fairly sure we wouldn't score a corner in any of the big divisions - Bundesliga, Ligue 1, La Liga, Serie A and it's got nothing to do with the size of our players, it's the movement and intent

I actually don't have a problem with the club going for a tall and dominating CB in both boxes should Colo leave, would compliment Yanga-Mbiwa very well IMO.

Plus considering MYM's pace the player in question wouldn't have to be quick either.

Could give an idea of the type of centre-half we'll be going after this summer, if nothing else.

Possibly, we do need defenders to chip in with goals, Taylor used to score a few until he was expected way out for lofted free kicks and corners. Could just change the routine

Our poor corners and free kicks have everything to do with delivery, if he doesn't see that then he's not going to sort it out.  Usually if you're going to score from a header it's going to be from a delivery at pace and at a height which allows the player to divert the ball towards goal but the main thing is that the ball has pace, something which ours constantly lack.

our defensive problems come from a lack of effective pressing at times, it seems when we have the ball high up the pitch, often from our full backs pushing very when we lose the ball we don't seem to try and get the ball back and instead either commit a foul or, way too often just let the other team run at our last men back who are backtracking themselves.

I don't think we're actually that bad at defending a crowded box either, we just give the ball away too much in the first place, and then allow too many dangerous counters, no matter how good your defending is, if you let an opposition team run at any defense enough they will score. Perch in defensive midfield can do alright but does not track no 10s well at all, and tiote gives away too many set pieces in dangerous areas. I don't think we defend set pieces that badly but we just allow too many, and you're bound to conceed then.

Can't count the number of times when we played against a team where they always seemed first to the second ball, quick to close us down, whereas we couldn't get near the ball till it was around our penalty area

Spot on.

I actually don't have a problem with the club going for a tall and dominating CB in both boxes should Colo leave, would compliment Yanga-Mbiwa very well IMO.

Plus considering MYM's pace the player in question wouldn't have to be quick either.

Agree with this, more or less.

Just hope he isn't pinning his hopes on that fixing everything.

Find it astounding he didn't mention our approach play, and how we drive forward. Because that is our biggest issue