Alan Pardew

Mike

I think the most effective corner we've taken I remember in the current regime (AND GOD IT WAS A LONG TIME AGO) was a short ball to ben arfa, who ran into the box, was tripped and we were given a penalty

So f***ing long ago can't remember who it was against  :lol: :lol:

First game of the season. :lol:

I think the most effective corner we've taken I remember in the current regime (AND GOD IT WAS A LONG TIME AGO) was a short ball to ben arfa, who ran into the box, was tripped and we were given a penalty

So f***ing long ago can't remember who it was against  :lol: :lol:

The great corner I can remember was one played to the edge of the box where Colo was running in to meet it and sent a bullet header toward goal. It was a fabulous set piece, but, unfortunately, didn't result in a goal.  Can't remember who it was against or where it was.

I think it's as well to have an element of unpredictability with set plays. Opposing defences know that with every free kick inside their half of the field, we're going to launch it to the far post side of the penalty area and hope that one of our centre backs is going to nod it across. They can prepare for it.

Inside their half? Inside ours as well.

I'm willing to give Pardew another chance. I don't think it is a fair conclusion to say that last season's success was somehow lucky or the result of sheer talent and the vestiges of Hughton's (whose football was somehow worse than what we produced this year) team spirit, while this season's failure lies at the feet of Pardew. The two years are really mirror images of one another. Last season everything went better than you could really have hoped for. Cabaye, Ba, Cisse, and Ben Arfa just took to the team incredibly well and became leaders of the side, despite having half a year's experience in England between them. Young players like Krul and Santon blended in seamlessly. Rubbish reserves like Ryan Taylor, Williamson, and Guthrie, and Ameobi were able to hold things steady when we were inevitably struck by injuries and suspensions. We did play quite conservatively, but it worked because we were reasonably stout defensively, excluding Spurs, Norwich, and Fulham where it fell apart. We were also a consistent attacking threat through direct play towards Ba and the counter-attacking, quick strike ability of Ben Arfa and Cisse in the new year.

It was opposite this season. Anita and the new boys in January have helped keep us up, but none of them have really solidified themselves in the team. The younger players, excluding Bigirigmana, and unfortunately including Davide, have failed or regressed. The reserves have generally failed. Our style of play hasn't changed dramatically, imo, but we've somehow lost all cohesion going forward (making for boring, ineffective football) and all confidence at the back. I think Pardew has suffered a crisis of confidence. He's looked beaten down in his interviews and scared when things go wrong on the pitch. It's the same expression Cabaye was sporting the final third of the season.

Look, I'm like most supporters on here. My patience ran out after the 3-0 defeat at Sunderland. The meekness of our performance in that environment was beyond inexcusable. If he had gone, I certainly wouldn't have protested. If it wasn't for the capital that he created last season, I would have been enraged that he remained after that or Liverpool. However, last season sticks in my mind. The man, for all his faults led us to the highest points tally we've had since Sir Bobby, in what I consider to be a stronger version of the Premiership and with a playing squad I think is inferior to one we had available this season. If Ashley trusts him and will genuinely support him financially in the market, which he has done with the exception of this summer, I'm be satisfied to see how things progress for the last few months of 2013 with this squad (e together for a season. If he fails again, let him go, the leash should be short. If he recovers his managerial form I appreciate the stability.

Bit late to the party,  but that is a fantastic post representing a fairly balanced point of view. Prepare to be shot with shit though.

His quotes aren't too bad apart from the one about needing some monster to score from corners, that is very poor.

As has been said, the transfer strategy needs re-thinking. We may have talented footballers, but do their abilities help form a cohesive and effective team? Are there enough options throughout the squad for different opposition? Do we have the right back-ups in case of injury or suspension? Do the players purchased suit the manager's philosophy?

I really do think we'll see a big improvement next year but not because of the lack of Europa League or whatever, but we'll have had a chance to stabilise a little. As long as there are no major outgoings then the new lads can settle in more and the manager can be less protective of them and the team can get back to a more normal balance again.

He's right, we've never had anyone under 6'4" that could score a header.  Gary Speed was a figment of our imagination.  Everton fans are still deluded that Tim Cahill was under 6', he was a giant.

Don't forget that Shearer and Ferdinand, while not being dwarves, were not exactly freakish giants either at 6 foot and just under six foot respectivley, and both slightly shorter than any of our first choice centre halves this season.  As has been noted earlier a lot of ability to score from a corner is related to the aggression from the players attacking the ball.

Guest bimpy474

So rather than come up with something that takes a little imagination and know how. This clueless fuckwit thinks, lets just buy someone taller. Is he really this fucking thick.

The new gangly fucker whoever he is, will still have trouble winning a floated turd to the back post. What a complete useless clown Pardew really is.

Guest bimpy474

Hughton's (whose football was somehow worse than what we produced this year) team spirit, while this season's failure lies at the feet of Pardew.

That is an absolute load of tosh.

I was about to post the same.

Even the stats say we played the most long balls in the league, never mind what I saw in front of my eyes.

I have no idea where he gets that view from, all i know is under Hoots we scored from set pieces, played decent football and never surrendered a game like we have under Pardew.

In half a Premiership season under Hughton we scored 6 corners and 3 additional indirect set pieces. Our total for that season was 11 corners and 4 additional set pieces. Seems crazy now. We've scored one since then.

Guest bimpy474

In half a Premiership season under Hughton we scored 6 corners and 3 additional indirect set pieces. Our total for that season was 11 corners and 4 additional set pieces. Seems crazy now. We've scored one since.

And that is down to coaching imo, players obviously matter but a good coach can get goals from average players at set pieces with clever thinking. Fat Sam for all his faults is good at it. Pardew is embarrassing at it tbh.

In half a Premiership season under Hughton we scored 6 corners and 3 additional indirect set pieces. Our total for that season was 11 corners and 4 additional set pieces. Seems crazy now. We've scored one since.

And that is down to coaching imo, players obviously matter but a good coach can get goals from average players at set pieces with clever thinking. Fat Sam for all his faults is good at it. Pardew is embarrassing at it tbh.

Half of the corners under Pardew were scored by Steven Taylor...

Guest bimpy474

2 ? :lol:

2 ? :lol:

Though I can't remember the one against West Brom so I just went by .com's match report which said Olsson didn't clear the corner so I counted it.

The clued up coaches will tell you, timing and anticipation are far more important in an aerial battle. As was pointed out on a previous page, how many times did Owen score with his head? He had the knack of getting the timing right on his jump to beat men far taller than him.

Height is one thing, but I hope whichever potential signing knows how to actually use it to good effect.