Alan Pardew

Mike

Considering how unbelievably bad we've been at corners this season, I couldn't believe my ears at the moans when we took a short one against Arsenal. :lol:

Aye insane that :lol: I was really hoping for a short corner too :lol:

our defensive problems come from a lack of effective pressing at times, it seems when we have the ball high up the pitch, often from our full backs pushing very when we lose the ball we don't seem to try and get the ball back and instead either commit a foul or, way too often just let the other team run at our last men back who are backtracking themselves.

I don't think we're actually that bad at defending a crowded box either, we just give the ball away too much in the first place, and then allow too many dangerous counters, no matter how good your defending is, if you let an opposition team run at any defense enough they will score. Perch in defensive midfield can do alright but does not track no 10s well at all, and tiote gives away too many set pieces in dangerous areas. I don't think we defend set pieces that badly but we just allow too many, and you're bound to conceed then.

Can't count the number of times when we played against a team where they always seemed first to the second ball, quick to close us down, whereas we couldn't get near the ball till it was around our penalty area

Spot on.

We have defended very well in past when we get ourselves organised and in back to wall situations. Also against West Ham defended well. This is spot on around how we press like, we were very good at closing down last season

I actually don't have a problem with the club going for a tall and dominating CB in both boxes should Colo leave, would compliment Yanga-Mbiwa very well IMO.

Plus considering MYM's pace the player in question wouldn't have to be quick either.

Just hope he isn't pinning his hopes on that fixing everything.

Find it astounding he didn't mention our approach play, and how we drive forward. Because that is our biggest issue

For sure was just talking about the Centre Back debate ( if there even is one :lol: ) everyone knows what our problems are i'm sure even Pardew does but i doubt he knows how to fix them.

I think the most effective corner we've taken I remember in the current regime (AND GOD IT WAS A LONG TIME AGO) was a short ball to ben arfa, who ran into the box, was tripped and we were given a penalty

So f***ing long ago can't remember who it was against  :lol: :lol:

I think the most effective corner we've taken I remember in the current regime (AND GOD IT WAS A LONG TIME AGO) was a short ball to ben arfa, who ran into the box, was tripped and we were given a penalty

First game of the season. :lol:

I actually don't have a problem with the club going for a tall and dominating CB in both boxes should Colo leave, would compliment Yanga-Mbiwa very well IMO.

Plus considering MYM's pace the player in question wouldn't have to be quick either.

Just hope he isn't pinning his hopes on that fixing everything.

Find it astounding he didn't mention our approach play, and how we drive forward. Because that is our biggest issue

For sure was just talking about the Centre Back debate ( if there even is one :lol: ) everyone knows what our problems are i'm sure even Pardew does but i doubt he knows how to fix them.

Totally agree, I don't think he has a clue how to fix the issues and clutches at straws (Big 6ft 4 ones at that)

We beat Spurs first game of season and end up 16th ffs :lol:

The actual quote about the fullbacks is: "it's not like we play with our two fullbacks staying at home, they're encouraged to get forward and at times it's cost us in terms of goals conceded in terms of their progression up the pitch, but they haven't delivered the goals. I think Mathieu Debuchy, to be fair, has got a goal in him and I'd like to think he'd get two or three next year."

It comes after a question related to the stat that over the two Man Utd defeats, 4 of their 8 goals were scored by defenders, while none of our defenders scored at all in the entire season (aside from Santon when pushed up at Wigan).

Pardew himself then moves it on to praise the current FB pool generally and puts a focus on the failure of the central defenders to score from set plays.

So it's not as bad as it seems by a long stretch.

So put into context it isn't really that negative, fair enough.

What was the full quote around 6ft 4" players?

"We need to have more dominance in that area and it's all well and good saying the set play problem is down to tactics, delivery or whatever. Ultimately you need 6-foot-4 in this division to go and head it in or at least get first contact on it to head it across the box and we've not had that all year."

Even if i gave him the benefit of the doubt and allowed him this excuse, why is he then getting us to attempt them every time we get a free kick anywhere close to the half way line. :lol:

"We need to have more dominance in that area and it's all well and good saying the set play problem is down to tactics, delivery or whatever. Ultimately you need 6-foot-4 in this division to go and head it in or at least get first contact on it to head it across the box and we've not had that all year."

Our poor corners and free kicks have everything to do with delivery, if he doesn't see that then he's not going to sort it out.  Usually if you're going to score from a header it's going to be from a delivery at pace and at a height which allows the player to divert the ball towards goal but the main thing is that the ball has pace, something which ours constantly lack.

Exactly right. People talk about all the goals Evra has scored from corners this season, but the fact he has so many, and that Man Utd have more in total than anyone, is all about RVP's delivery, which is exceptional.

the fuck did pardew say this? :lol:

terrified about this summer if he's convinced them we need more "battlers" and "big men" to fix our problems

:anguish:

He's right, we've never had anyone under 6'4" that could score a header.  Gary Speed was a figment of our imagination.  Everton fans are still deluded that Tim Cahill was under 6', he was a giant.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

The Twin Tower striker force we had was an unfair advantage in retrospect. We should be deducted points and all the championships we won removed and given to our rivals.

Guest Slippery Sam

The great corner I can remember was one played to the edge of the box where Colo was running in to meet it and sent a bullet header toward goal. It was a fabulous set piece, but, unfortunately, didn't result in a goal.  Can't remember who it was against or where it was.

The great corner I can remember was one played to the edge of the box where Colo was running in to meet it and sent a bullet header toward goal. It was a fabulous set piece, but, unfortunately, didn't result in a goal.  Can't remember who it was against or where it was.

I think it's as well to have an element of unpredictability with set plays. Opposing defences know that with every free kick inside their half of the field, we're going to launch it to the far post side of the penalty area and hope that one of our centre backs is going to nod it across. They can prepare for it.