Alan Pardew

Mike

Where did I say that?

There were numerous contributing factors to our poor performance but I think the catalyst was awful, awful summer window leaving the manager with a squad not fit for purpose.

So your post was random, OK.

Not seen anything at all of todays match (or even read anything about it yet) but as far as I'm aware:

1. He picked the right team.

2. We won.

3. We won away from home.

4. We scored two goals.

5. We won even after being pegged back.

6. I heard someone on SSN say we were well on top after our second goal.

Better, Pardew. :thup:

Not seen anything at all of todays match (or even read anything about it yet) but as far as I'm aware:

2. We won.

4. We scored two goals.

He brought Sammy on when we were protecting a lead, pretty sure someone slipped him something before the game :lol:

2. We won.

4. We scored two goals.

He brought Sammy on when we were protecting a lead, pretty sure someone slipped him something before the game :lol:

It was like the anti-pardew today, no Shola in sight and no shutting up shop, just sensible playing down the clock in their corner for last few mins. Looked dangerous on counter and heard Pardew saying to keep the ball and on ground. Played some nice simple stuff and stepped it up when required.

I liked the shape we had today, still needs a bit of work but Cabaye in front of Sissoko and Anita may just work. Still think Cisse looked shit though, needs to get back to scoring

2. We won.

4. We scored two goals.

It was like the anti-pardew today, no Shola in sight and no shutting up shop, just sensible playing down the clock in their corner for last few mins. Looked dangerous on counter and heard Pardew saying to keep the ball and on ground. Played some nice simple stuff and stepped it up when required.

I liked the shape we had today, still needs a bit of work but Cabaye in front of Sissoko and Anita may just work. Still think Cisse looked shit though, needs to get back to scoring

I think that is the perfect position for Cabaye tbh.

He doesn't have the engine for box to box so that's Sissoko who will also go on his little runs, impressed with some of his balls for the forwards to run on to, Anita will play deeper keeping it smart and ticking over, Cabaye "defends from the front" as he likes a battle but he also has the quality to create or score goals.

Potential to be a very good trio there but as you say it still needs work.

Credit where it's due he picked the right team and sent them out to actually win the game. Should be automatic for all managers really but he got it right today and I hope he persists with this formation and mindset.

Well done Pardew. :)

2. We won.

4. We scored two goals.

I liked the shape we had today, still needs a bit of work but Cabaye in front of Sissoko and Anita may just work. Still think Cisse looked s*** though, needs to get back to scoring

He doesn't have the engine for box to box so that's Sissoko who will also go on his little runs, impressed with some of his balls for the forwards to run on to, Anita will play deeper keeping it smart and ticking over, Cabaye "defends from the front" as he likes a battle but he also has the quality to create or score goals.

Agree, always been potential in those players, maybe Pardew has finally understood their strengths, Sissoko in home games will bomb on more I reckon and hopefully Cabaye will just step back at that point to cover.

Can't wait to see Remy when fully fit and think Gouff coming off bench will cause havoc. Was impressed how we went on to win at 1-1 because I really thought we would crumble at that point but we just kept going and controlled the game well

2. We won.

4. We scored two goals.

On paper, the two triumvirates (Remy-Cisse-HBA and Anita-Sissoko-Cabaye) make absolutely shitloads of sense and have massive potential. Each player's style compliments one another imo.

Credit where it's due he picked the right team and sent them out to actually win the game. Should be automatic for all managers really but he got it right today and I hope he persists with this formation and mindset.

Thing is if he just settles on this and then looks at the backups for those positions rather than changing formation all time it would be better, Cameos from Sammy for now would be good and then look at where Bigi would best fit in, same with Campbell

2. We won.

4. We scored two goals.

I liked the shape we had today, still needs a bit of work but Cabaye in front of Sissoko and Anita may just work. Still think Cisse looked s*** though, needs to get back to scoring

Agree, always been potential in those players, maybe Pardew has finally understood their strengths, Sissoko in home games will bomb on more I reckon and hopefully Cabaye will just step back at that point to cover.

Can't wait to see Remy when fully fit and think Gouff coming off bench will cause havoc. Was impressed how we went on to win at 1-1 because I really thought we would crumble at that point but we just kept going and controlled the game well

:thup:

When they get a better understanding with each other Cabaye and Sissoko can swap it up during a match which will cause the opposition troubles as they will be facing a different threat depending which player decides to sit and which player decides to go forward.

Completely different players so if you are set up to stop Sissoko's runs but Cabaye is coming forward or if you have set up to stop Cabaye's passing/shooting and Sissoko is running at you...  :aww:

Thing is if he just settles on this and then looks at the backups for those positions rather than changing formation all time it would be better, Cameos from Sammy for now would be good and then look at where Bigi would best fit in, same with Campbell

I go back to my criticism of him from last year; keep it simple and stick to one 'philosophy'. He tries to hard to be Ranieri et al at times and he can't do it. Got it spot on today and importantly put emphasis on a win. Please please keep it up Alan; and pack the lies in. Babysteps I suppose.

2. We won.

4. We scored two goals.

On paper, the two triumvirates (Remy-Cisse-HBA and Anita-Sissoko-Cabaye) make absolutely shitloads of sense and have massive potential. Each player's style compliments one another imo.

Yip, he has just never played the middle 3 in the right positions, Sissoko deeper with Cabaye at the head of the 3 linking up midfield to attack will work, with Anita linking defence and midfield and Sissoko in between both. Ben Arfa and Remy opening them up and hopefully Cisse getting more chances and scoring a few. Need to look behind that first 11 and see what the choices would be when they are injured as Remy and Ben Arfa won't play full season, we certainly did not miss Jonas today and if Remy is out Gouffran or Sammy should be give the chance in the same formation.

Marveux should replace Cabaye's position, Tiote in Anitas and not really anyone in Sissokos

2. We won.

4. We scored two goals.

When they get a better understanding with each other Cabaye and Sissoko can swap it up during a match which will cause the opposition troubles as they will be facing a different threat depending which player decides to sit and which player decides to go forward.

Completely different players so if you are set up to stop Sissoko's runs but Cabaye is coming forward or if you have set up to stop Cabaye's passing/shooting and Sissoko is running at you...  :aww:

Aye, sounds good, you just know Pards will panic and change to 4-4-2 or defensive again at first hurdle :) - hope he can be brave and persevere, if we lose a couple of games heavily, so what as long as we are winning a few at same time. Who knows we may hammer a couple of teams

2. We won.

4. We scored two goals.

Aye, sounds good, you just know Pards will panic and change to 4-4-2 or defensive again at first hurdle :) - hope he can be brave and persevere, if we lose a couple of games heavily, so what as long as we are winning a few at same time. Who knows we may hammer a couple of teams

The cowardice will be in the back of my mind. Hopefully this start will stand us in good stead and he gets a little braver like the season we finished 5th.

I'd rather see Marveaux as the furthest forward in a midfield three, personally, with Cabaye/Anita fighting it out for the deeper lying position. Cabaye is better further back where he can dictate the pace of the game and utilise his range of passing. He doesn't have the pace/dribbling ability to warrant being further up the pitch for large portions of the game imo.

I'd rather see Marveaux as the furthest forward in a midfield three, personally, with Cabaye/Anita fighting it out for the deeper lying position. Cabaye is better further back where he can dictate the pace of the game and utilise his range of passing. He doesn't have the pace/dribbling ability to warrant being further up the pitch for large portions of the game imo.

Marveaux isn't exactly a pace merchant or at least fit enough to keep it up.

That was our best 11 today and I thought we played fantastic Barfa was great but I think special praise should go to Anita who has now overtaken Tiote as first choice, its about time, but it was a great day .

Marveaux isn't exactly a pace merchant or at least fit enough to keep it up.

Very good acceleration over shorter distances, perfect for roaming about in the final third. His fitness is a concern, though.

Guest Haris Vuckic

People who rate Marveaux  puzzle me. I just don't think they've ever played the game at any level or even in a kickabout with any urgency to it.

He's reasonably talented - nothing special - but his lack of heart and effort is critical to making him ineffective most of the time. Any success in football is built on hard work & unless you are a stupidly good player you really can't get away with being lazy or indifferent.

I do think he's talented mind - but simultaneously useless most of the time. Decent from the bench but I wouldn't start him.