Still Not Worthy Of A Thread

joeyt

When the stitching used to start coming apart on the ball and the orange balloon inside became visible  :(

Still get a couple of days playing heads n volleys in the backlane with that.

Guest firetotheworks

The tricolore from WC98 >>> *

http://www.soccer.com/channels/worldcup-ball-collection/img/france98.png

:thup:

I'm starting to warm to Sherwood.

I mean, he's an idiot and whatnot, but he's at least our idiot. And he has some interesting ideas.

Last week at Sunderland, he put Rushian Hepburn-Murphy on for the last 15 mins or so. A 16 year old even people who watch our youth team had barely heard of.

I think what I like about Sherwood so far is he renders things at least very interesting.

He said this about it on our official site:

Tim Sherwood insists the inclusion of Rushian Hepburn-Murphy was his way of sending a message to the club's academy - and aspirational young players generally.

Sherwood was only too happy to reward the 16-year-old with a call-up - and eventual participation for the final few minutes at Sunderland.

He says this gives a signal to other starlets in the youth set-up that they, too, could get their chance if they work hard and impress.

But the boss insists it also shows young players generally that Villa is a place to flourish if you're good enough at an early age.

He said: "It's about bringing your own through.

"That's what I did at Tottenham and pretty much five of them are first on the team sheet every week now. That is a good success for Spurs.

"I took a few young boys up to Sunderland. Rushian has done very well.

"The youth set-up have told me he's done very well with the U18s. I said I would put him on the bench and if we were 3-0 up, I'd put him on.

"That was in my dreams. I didn't expect it to happen.

"Sometimes you need to send a message out to the academy - not only to the academy but to the local area.

"If you want to play and you want to play in someone's first team - even at a massive club like Aston Villa - you come to this place because I am going to give you an opportunity. No danger of that.

"If you are good enough no matter how young you are, you are going to play.

"Why would you waste your time going somewhere else? Come here!

"I know all the young boys here. They are good lads and very respectful.

"I tell them that every day they are on that training field and every time they put an Aston Villa shirt on that they are on trial. You never know who's watching!

"Rushian was fortunate it was him this time. It might be someone else next time."

I'm starting to warm to Sherwood.

I mean, he's an idiot and whatnot, but he's at least our idiot.

:undecided: All that has just been said is valid, but I don't hate him. Surely it's a good thing to bring young players through? Stuffing the mackems like that made me warm to him too. I'm a bit conflicted with Villa, like, after the bedsheet brigade incident, so (no malice, Brummie) I'd like to see them go down and someone ask if Nigel fucking Kennedy or Prince fucking Wills is your next Messiah. Or the Lizard King Cameron. Also the wife has a wet spot for them as her first match was at the Holte End back in the 60s with some twat I haven't punched yet. :lol: So conflicted.

Sherwood is a fucking bellend, but that's such a refreshing thing to read compared to Pardew, Carver, even Hughton wanting to "protect the young players by only playing them when I think they're ready" which actually translates as "I'd rather play senior pros out of position, allow these young lads to stagnate in the reserves and see them end up at Ashington by the age of 23".

It may be sour grapes after going out because of it, but Wenger is calling for abolishing the away goals rule. What's your take on this, people?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/31958105

I like the away goals rule; I understand it may seem unfair but I'm afraid doing away with it it will motivate too many away sides to defend in two-legged cup games, and just try to exploit the home advantage to win the tie.

The away goals rule is great. It's also responsible for knocking out Mourinho sides at least 3 times in one form or another.

I wouldn't want a 0-0 first leg to be an advantage for the away side (in that first leg). I like that they have to win in the following game to go through in extra time.

It's also brilliant in extra-time too. One club has home advantage roaring them on for a winner but the other only needs 1 goal t change the whole complexion of the tie.

Decent draw, although I dislike playing the same team so many times in a season. Last time this happened Inter put us out of the CL...

Atlético are 6-0-0 against Real Madrid this season. Would be pure Atlético if they went on to lose the two more meaningful games of the lot.

Juventus with a great chance to get into the semi's.

Bayern to go through.

Have to fancy Atleti to do Real again.

PSG vs. Barca is tight. Something tells me PSG..

Those are my picks. Hope Real can turn it around. They have to get a score draw minimum in the first leg or else i'm certain Atletico will win.

In one version of FM they would do the semi draw at the same time.