Stewart Downing

NUFC_Sam

Guest bimpy474

Is he better than Jonas  :undecided:

Yes, but that still doesn't mean we should get him.

Sinclair or Ince for me.

Agree, i dont see the point at £5m, espeically when the other two would be no more than £8m. Both 6 or so years younger and more importantly, far better players.

Surely Ashley would rather spend 8m (and probably pay less wages) for an up and coming resale value player like Ince than £5m for a past it Downing who if we signed would be on bigger wages and blatantly leave for nowt after a few years?

Guest bimpy474

Surely Ashley would rather spend 8m (and probably pay less wages) for an up and coming resale value player like Ince than £5m for a past it Downing who if we signed would be on bigger wages and blatantly leave for nowt after a few years?

You would think so, this has the hallmarks of a JFK suggestion this one.

Don't want an orthodox winger. Definitely don't want Stewart Downing.

Without debating the merits of Downing the team that won the Premiership last season had players who could play effectively as wingers in their squad. They didn't use them that way every game but you have to have options.

I agree in principle but I think an interest in players like Downing signals a return to a flat midfield four, which doesn't suit a large number of our better players.Also, I'd like to see Pardew successfully implement a cohesive style of play before worrying about tactical flexibility. His indecisiveness about such matters last season didn't help us at all.

If we sign Downing I guarantee 90% of the forum will be counting down the day he and his big wages fuck off within 2 seasons (probably just the 12 months tbh).

I am very, very open and welcoming to new signings, I have backed some really bad signings. The one signing I really was against was Alan Smith, this is the second one. I couldn't be more certain this would be a shite signing, absolutely, 1,000,000,000% certain.

Don't want an orthodox winger. Definitely don't want Stewart Downing.

Without debating the merits of Downing the team that won the Premiership last season had players who could play effectively as wingers in their squad. They didn't use them that way every game but you have to have options.

I agree in principle but I think an interest in players like Downing signals a return to a flat midfield four, which doesn't suit more a large number of our better players.Also, I'd like to see Pardew successfully implement a cohesive style of play before worrying about tactical flexibility. His indecisiveness about such matters last season didn't help us at all.

I do think Pardew did nor/does not close the deals on player transfers. I also think he was left short for a good chunk of last season. Reinforcements were provided in January but tbh its not so easy to bed new players into a squad mid season. OK got that stuff out of the way! Downing would be a weird signing in terms of age/profile etc but he's better than what we have to do that job right now. A lower league. younger player would make a lot more sense. Give the manager a decent range of weapons and if he doesn't deliver he has to go and there is no poisoned chalice for whoever takes over - but if that is JFK I am back to sniffing glue.

I'd sooner watch 'Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot' on a loop than see Stuart Downing in a Newcastle shirt.

As a matter of interest why? I'm not saying he's the most cost/effective player we could go for for but as an out and out winger he's way better than what we have and the money side of it isn't our worry, is it? 

Really surprised there hasn't been more noises about Sinclair. Not just from us but I mean from anyone? He's completely wasting his career at City but was quality when at Swansea so it would be stupid on his part to remain there for another season.