Manchester City vs. Newcastle United - 19/08/13 @ 8pm (Sky Sports 1)

Elliottman
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No chance Pardew plays Jonas out of position when he has a perfectly good defender who has proven he can be effective at left back.  Plus Pardew needs Jonas to do a job on their right midfielder.  That will probably be James Milner.

No, it will be Navas.

Don't mind Jonas starting this one, it's one of about 3 games in the season where I'm happy to see him in the team. He's good at doing a disciplined job in front of his full back, and he can take pressure off the back 4 with his dribbling and winning free kicks. For that reason he should be mainly be used from the bench when we have something to hold onto, but I don't see anything wrong with him starting this one. He's actually scored at City as well. It's not as if Sinclair or Ince or anyone else would spend the 90 mins dancing into the City penalty area either.

While Mbiwa and Jonas is about as solid as we can get down the left, I think the defensive minded Pardew will be panicking about City running rings round Ben Arfa and Debuchy on the other side (in the only pre season game I went to Debuchy gave away yet another penalty to go with the 2 he conceeded last season, and the sending off). I think that may have been on his mind when he moved HBA inside and put Sissokho out wide v Rangers. I don't know if he'd go ahead and do that at City but I think there might be a surprising selection in there somewhere

I'd take Ben Arfa as a striker next to Cisse if it meant we could play a compact midfield of Tiote, Sissoko, Cabaye and Marv as tip of the diamond and Tiote playing his bruising role. Not like that is my preferred system mind you. I'd rather we bring Gouffran on as a sub for Marv?

Having a compact side isn't the issue,  there are a number of ways of doing this.  The problem is having the ability to break and relieve the pressure, this is where Pardew will fail.

Guest bimpy474

Am I the only fan absolutely dreading the first day of the season. Wishing for more time! Don't see anything other than an absolute tonking here.

I'm at the stage i'm more excited about watching other teams than my own :lol: its quite sad tbh.

Just shows you how bad our football was last season. Well, got to hope for better this  :undecided:

Am I the only fan absolutely dreading the first day of the season. Wishing for more time! Don't see anything other than an absolute tonking here.

I'm at the stage i'm more excited about watching other teams than my own :lol: its quite sad tbh.

I know, comes to something when you find yourself cheering on hughton and Norwich and thinking what great signings Redmond and van wolfswinkle are. Ahaa!

My thoughts too tbh ,excited for the new managers and new players but dreading watching us at this moment in time  :undecided:

My thoughts too tbh ,excited for the new managers and new players but dreading watching us at this moment in time  :undecided:

im just saying its a nothing game, our season starts next week :lol:

We'll roll over and get our tummy tickled on Monday night. AP will set us up to sit too deep, invite pressure and play hoof ball to relieve pressure in a continuous cycle.

We should be better than that but he'll have the players utterly convinced that the best we can do is hang on for as long as possible and try and nick something.

I'd play something like a 4-1-4-1. I'd be tempted to play Cabaye in front of the back for as Tiote would be a liability there against this lot and we'd need someone who can actually play. I'd have Sissoko and Tiote in the middle with HBA and Jonas out wide with Cisse up front.

We have better players left out however, we'd get murdered if we took them on especially as AP has never used his best players in a system to make best use of their talents. We should have a starting 11 that could pay fast, exciting football, full of movement. Instead we've got restrictive, predictable and defeatist tactics that should only be seen from League One downward.

I'll settle for a bit of positivity and attacking intent. Expecting us to lose anyway, just want to see us try something different.

Aye, I'll take anything other than total cowardice as a positive. We'll know the craic an hour before kick off. In fact I'm 90% sure we already know it, Jonas and Tiote WILL be in the starting 11.

I'll settle for a bit of positivity and attacking intent. Expecting us to lose anyway, just want to see us try something different.

:lol:

Away to Man City I don't think we'll see any of that from Pardew.  Backs to the wall, scared and in awe of the massive club, we should be happy to be playing in such a prestigious establishment.

I would have thought this would be the type of game that would suit Anita rather than Tiote, City will be playing technical football rather than relying on winning physical battles all over the pitch. With midfeiders like Cabaye, Anita, Jonas and Sissoko to call on we should be able to put out a pretty decent side easily capable of competing in midfield, provided we don't just sit back and concede possession.

All Pardew has to do is kick the dressing room door off it's hinges, stand in the middle of the room and shout; "WE ARE CANCELLING THE APOCALYPSE".

If that doesn't get us fired up, I dunno what will

If you can keep your head when all about you

Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;

If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,

But make allowance for their doubting too;

If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,

Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,

Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,

And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise

Ladies and gentlemen, Newcastle United will be playing 5-4-fucking-1.