The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

Think Leeds should have stuck with Bielsa till the summer at least, then reassessed depending on what league they were in.

There's not much you can do re personnel now, and I reckon they are so drilled into a certain way of playing that it will be hard to change it fast. And, they're running out of games to get safe, so there isn't time to learn how to completely change things.

E.g. imagine taking a punt on someone like Allardyce, and how long it would take the team to adapt to his 'pragmatic' anti-football. A shame, I liked to watch Bielsa and his style of football - it was an interesting addition to the league and he seemed a genuine character.

3 hours ago, Nobody said:

Ragnick is doing a pretty terrible job at Man Utd mind.

I feel like every team that play Man U have a great game. They are making it too easy to play against them. We played arguably our best game this season against them, and would have beaten them comfortably had Wilson and ASM stayed on the pitch. 

I am very, very happy we ended up with Howe over Ragnick now like. 

And yet he's only lost 1 league game in 14, strange old game innit.

And like you, much happy we ended up Eddie like.

Not that I think he would leave celtic at the moment, but I'd like to see Ange Postacoglu be given a shot in the premier league, and I think he would do a good job following on from Bielsa, plus if they do go down I reckon he'd be able to bring them back up pretty quickly

11 hours ago, Dinho lad said:

Yes, he got them up (eventually), but so what? Hughton's done that too. Hughton is rated justly but Bielsa is a bit overrated.  

But anyway, this is not about Leeds solely; Bielsa's career is defined by' half-done' jobs. 

He got them up after making the playoffs and then winning the league comfortably. No other manager at Leeds had done that since they were relegated

He then kept them up comfirtably last season and was on course to do the same this season until the last few weeks

He got two Leeds players into the England squad too. I'm not sure how that's a 'half done job'?

That just cements their relegation doesn't it?

My main worry for Leeds was he built them to play in such a way and when he transferred the reins they would struggle. To do that during a relegation fight seems mental. 

12 hours ago, HUGZ said:

Leeds fans are gutted, which should tell us everything we need to know.

We were gutted when Ole went... It doesn't tell you anything other than how popular he was with the fans. 

I know a few Leeds fans personally. They didn't WANT him to go, but felt he HAD to go. 

They've just broken the record for most goals conceded in a month in the shortest month of the year. They've conceded 60 goals and there's 12 games left. 

He's a good coach who gets vastly overrated because he has a style that is kind on the eye and because he is an eccentric character.

A lot of people state he's done a great job because he took Leeds up and had them mid table in their first season back. Paul Jewell did that with Wigan in 2006, Steve Coppell did it with Reading in 2007, Tony Pulis did it with Stoke in 2009, Alex McLeish did it with Birmingham in 2010, Brendan Rodgers and Paul Lambert did it with Swansea and Norwich in 2012, Rafa did it with yourselves in 2018, Nuno did it with Wolves in 2019 and even Chris Wilder did it with Sheffield United in 2020. Its not a special achievement. It's a recurring theme that a lot of newly promoted clubs play out of their skin in their first year in the Premier League. You need to solidify the club as a Premier League side, something he has failed to do. He has never had a plan B. Man United have struggled in recent years and you always looked forward to playing Leeds under Bielsa. It felt like the most winnable game of the season.

There's still a love in going on around him now despite him being sacked. I find it completely baffling to be honest. The media still praises him yet suggests Benitez is done after his Everton stint when Benitez is a far superior coach to Bielsa in every way except aesthetically. 

He's ultimately not good enough to manage at the top level. 

8 hours ago, Bimpy474 said:

And yet he's only lost 1 league game in 14, strange old game innit.

Yes. To say he's doing a terrible job is absolutely batshit mental and quite frankly hilarious. We've been incredibly unlucky in many of the draws as well. The way we're playing is night and day compared to the first half of the season. 

FWIW only City have won more points than us since Rangnick took over. Terrible job indeed.

Edited by Froggy

3 minutes ago, Froggy said:

We were gutted when Ole went... It doesn't tell you anything other than how popular he was with the fans. 

impressive how you can always bring the conversation back to being about you.

loads of Man Utd fans wanted Ole out. same can’t be said for Bielsa.

2 minutes ago, HUGZ said:

You should have a look at their forum matching on together. Overwhelming majority wanted him out before & after their game yesterday 

Edited by gdm

Spoke to my Leeds friend this morning, who has very mixed feelings on it. Bielsa is loved by the majority, but he recognised that they're too open. Doubts if anyone can come in at this stage and make much of a difference. Personally think it's a shame if they get relegated instead of Burnley or Watford for example.

3 minutes ago, HUGZ said:

Absolutely not about me, just giving an extremely similar comparison which counteracts your point. 

And the same absolutely can be said about Bielsa. You're just wrong, and that's OK. 

6 hours ago, Kaizero said:

I desperately want to see Kjetil Knutsen manage a bigger club to see if he truly is a miracle worker or if his magic is a right club at the right time type of magic or proper magic.

I've seen you post about him before and was curious so went to see his achievements. Really quite incredible what he has done with Bodo and the results against Roma and to a lesser degree Celtic have opened some eyes. 

I'd be interested to see him take a job in England.