The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

No offence at all to brummie, but i've just seen this, and :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can understand that there isn't a dearth of managers out there to choose from, and it is definitely better than appointing the likes of Redknapp/Venables/Curbishly....but fucking hell...

Yes, you're right, it is, but you forget, these are the brainiacs who appointed Alex McLeish.

Try and imagine if McLeish, with his tedious anti football had been Sunderland manager, and had got them relegated whilst acquiring a reputation as the most depressing, negative manager in the league.

Then try and imagine you'd just finished 9th in the league after a very difficult season, but one in which you'd started to play some good football. And then imagine that McLeish had just got Sunderland relegated, literally a few weeks before, and you'd gone out and made him your manager.

These are the fucking idiots we are lumbered with.

We are basically fucked until these people go. I don't give a fuck how much money new owners have, I honestly do not, I just want them to have a. a brain and b. be prepared to not just throw their toys out the pram and fuck off home, taking the ball with them, at the first sign of things getting tricky.

He's not even a bad bloke, he's just blunt and honest which verges on tactlessness at times. I'd have him at NUFC in a second, though that's hardly much of an endorsement.

He is a bit dim and clearly unqualified for the job.

That's about it, really.

He isn't a horrid Redknapp style crook, he isn't a mendacious turd like Pardew, he isn't a vile lizard-troll hybrid like Allardyce.

He's just woefully unqualified for the job.

We are in serious trouble. We've just lost five games in a row and have scored two goals in our last ten league games. And what's more, that has come after two and a bit seasons of equally awful records.

If we'd just finished 13th or something, I might understand it, but anyone, anyone who thinks that a rookie manager with a shitforbrains intelligence problem who has managed a total of 22 matches in any league is going to turn around a club sat in 18th position with that sort of problem is fucking insane. Or Randy Lerner.

I absolutely despair of these people, despair.

It's obviously a rash appointment because they just wanted a new man in right away, but didn't he do alrightish at Spurs?

Yes, but I'd suggest that taking over a club in sixth place, with a squad like theirs, having already been there as assistant manager, and keeping them where they were in the first place, is really nothing to suggest he can turn around a club sat in 18th place having lost five games in a row and scored two goals in 15 hours of football

If we were sixth now and he was our assistant manager anyway, I wouldn't be that bothered, but we're not, and he isn't.

He'll do enough to keep them up.

They could be managed by someone from the academy and they'd stay up, it's the same with us people just underestimate how embarrassingly bad the bottom half is. Villa maybe s*** but there's at least 4 or 5 teams who are worse.

I know you'll have no doubt posted about it plenty when he was there, but how did you rate Sherwood, Leffe?

It's all so very strange. Before his appointment as Manager/Head Coach/whatever at Spurs, he'd been quietly building his power base for a while. Nobody was really sure what he actually did, but he clearly had the ear of the chairman and was supposedly part of the panel making transfer decisions (him, Levy, AVB and Baldini, off the top of my head). He seemed to be almost unaccountable, yet powerful - almost poisonously so. Then for some reason, he decided to throw this position of power away to pretend to be a manager for half a season.

The only thing I can think is that he's breathtakingly arrogant exceedingly confident in his own abilities. FWIW, I thought he did a pretty good job, given his complete lack of experience and coaching badges. He took the opportunity to throw some kids in and got good results for the most part. I thought his interviews were refreshingly blunt and honest too. I do think that there's something of a Pardew element, in that he's a bit of a chancer who isn't really a coach, more an old-school manager. I think he's blagging it, but that could still be just enough to keep them up.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Sir Les and a couple more familiar faces down there before long. I think Sherwood fancies himself as a sort of new wave Harry Redknapp.

He'll do enough to keep them up.

They could be managed by someone from the academy and they'd stay up, it's the same with us people just underestimate how embarrassingly bad the bottom half is. Villa maybe s*** but there's at least 4 or 5 teams who are worse.

Scored the least amount of goals and let in some of the highest amount. On paper they are a better team than most down there but their performed and results say something else. They remind me a lot like us when we went down, plenty of talent enough to stay up but mis management and lack of passion from players lead to our downfall.

He's not even a bad bloke, he's just blunt and honest which verges on tactlessness at times. I'd have him at NUFC in a second, though that's hardly much of an endorsement.

He is a bit dim and clearly unqualified for the job.

That's about it, really.

He isn't a horrid Redknapp style crook, he isn't a mendacious turd like Pardew, he isn't a vile lizard-troll hybrid like Allardyce.

He's just woefully unqualified for the job.

We are in serious trouble. We've just lost five games in a row and have scored two goals in our last ten league games. And what's more, that has come after two and a bit seasons of equally awful records.

If we'd just finished 13th or something, I might understand it, but anyone, anyone who thinks that a rookie manager with a shitforbrains intelligence problem who has managed a total of 22 matches in any league is going to turn around a club sat in 18th position with that sort of problem is fucking insane. Or Randy Lerner.

I absolutely despair of these people, despair.

I think Ronaldo's view of Sherwood is about as positive as the bloke deserves. In his time with Spurs he really came across like Pardew (not in tactics etc but as a person) and seemed like he had the potential to be worse tbh.

Don't know about lack of intelligence really, but yeah he's certainly under-qualified. What happened to ex-players coaching in the lower leagues? They just get thrown great jobs now after proving fuck all, while at the same time the standard of English football plummets. Sure that's coincidence mind.

The black manager thing will never go away. It isn't an issue, no one (in this scenario) is going to say no to a person on their skin colour. You aren't going to appoint someone worse to look after your multimillion pound investment because of colour. You appoint the best person you can attract, the best fit, the most experienced or the cheapest, depending on your angle.

If this were true, no one ever would have appointed Souness or Pardew. They look at some extremely vaguely defined qualities of 'leadership' (a white man), 'tactical nous' (a white man) and Englishness (a white man), not anything genuine (difficult to define). It's extremely difficult to hire the right person, even more the right leader, so they go with their gut feeling, which is based on prejudice and usually wrong.

Excellent points articulated well. I know some people genuinely find racial discrimination hard to believe. But we've seen how  being "a good football man" is a loaded statement filled with bias.

I don't think the accusations are of a conscious discrimination as in, OK, who are we going to get a manager - no, not him, he's black.  More that when thinking about potential managers, black players or coaches just don't come into their minds at all.

The huge absence of black managers is clear reason enough to demonstrate both that discrimination is happening, and this happens without anyone being a mad racist discriminating purely on people's skin, but on a series of prejudices that starts from black players assuming that they can't make it in coaching so not even trying through to black managers struggling to get enough experience that they then can't get jobs at the top level because there are already so many white coaches moving about and upwards.

British football management is a joke top to bottom. At this rate Alan Pardew has a genuine chance of becoming the next England football manager. The frontrunner's CV consists entirely of a part-time coaching job and impressing as a TV pundit.

What did Gareth Southgate do to get the Villa or England U21 job? What did Pearce do to earn his jobs?

The huge absence of black managers is clear reason enough to demonstrate both that discrimination is happening, and this happens without anyone being a mad racist discriminating purely on people's skin, but on a series of prejudices that starts from black players assuming that they can't make it in coaching so not even trying through to black managers struggling to get enough experience that they then can't get jobs at the top level because there are already so many white coaches moving about and upwards.

:thup: Can't believe some people refuse to accept this. Discrimination doesn't mean people are just outwardly rejecting applicants because their black, there's a whole host of issues that go together to create the problem.

I know you'll have no doubt posted about it plenty when he was there, but how did you rate Sherwood, Leffe?

It's all so very strange. Before his appointment as Manager/Head Coach/whatever at Spurs, he'd been quietly building his power base for a while. Nobody was really sure what he actually did, but he clearly had the ear of the chairman and was supposedly part of the panel making transfer decisions (him, Levy, AVB and Baldini, off the top of my head). He seemed to be almost unaccountable, yet powerful - almost poisonously so. Then for some reason, he decided to throw this position of power away to pretend to be a manager for half a season.

The only thing I can think is that he's breathtakingly arrogant exceedingly confident in his own abilities. FWIW, I thought he did a pretty good job, given his complete lack of experience and coaching badges. He took the opportunity to throw some kids in and got good results for the most part. I thought his interviews were refreshingly blunt and honest too. I do think that there's something of a Pardew element, in that he's a bit of a chancer who isn't really a coach, more an old-school manager. I think he's blagging it, but that could still be just enough to keep them up.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Sir Les and a couple more familiar faces down there before long. I think Sherwood fancies himself as a sort of new wave Harry Redknapp.

Spot on.

:thup:

What was interesting today (well, the second half) was that, for the first time in about 2 years, we got midfielders into the box.

I make no claim to know a huge amount about tactics, but that was a glaringly obvious problem Lambert had. Play two midfielders who are really the same player (Cleverley, Westwood), and another who is not hugely dissimilar (Delph) and have then stand next to each other in the middle of the pitch for 88 of the 90 minutes, making no attempt to get into the box.

Meanwhile Weimann and (when playing) Agbonlahor would get sucked back into midfield, leaving Benteke alone up front, in a different fucking postcode, getting more and more frustrated.

Anyone watching that, though, who wonders why Villa fans have been unhappy needs to realise, that first half, that is what we have been watching EVERY MATCH at home for the last five years under Lambert and McLeish particularly, and Houllier a fair amount.

In fact, even when we finished sixth three times in a row under O'Neill, home matches were awful, as we didn't get to counter attack so just had zero idea what to do.

I doubt there's another club in the top flight for whom home matches have been so eye bleedingly horrific as ours for almost ten years.

tbf Southgate and Pearce at least have the UEFA Pro Licence. Sherwood is still studying for his, as is Sol Campbell.

I thought you had to have that licence before you could even manage in the PL?

you get a pass if your in the middle of getting it I think. I'd wonder why he didn't have it to begin with if he wanted to become a manager considering he's been retired for 10 years

tbf Southgate and Pearce at least have the UEFA Pro Licence. Sherwood is still studying for his, as is Sol Campbell.

I thought you had to have that licence before you could even manage in the PL?

That's supposed to be the case but they've granted exceptions in the past if you're actually in the middle of the course - think it takes quite a while to do the whole thing.