The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

His Chelsea tenure has ultimately allowed people to come to lazy conclusions about his ability.

I don't think so. He's genuinely naive tactically.

He's done enough in his career to suggest that isn't the case. Think it might be getting on top of him a bit in the premier league.

But he really hasn't. Going undefeated in the league was a great achievement but the Portuguese especially in that season is pretty weak.

He's made some of the same mistakes time & time again.

Was it a great achievement or wasn't it? 20 points clear, 13 goals conceeded?

And the Europa league was similarly weak of course that season.

I don't know how anybody can say with any confidence that AVB is a good manager. People say he is tactically astute. He is actually pretty awful tactically from what I've seen. He plays the same tactics every game, plays a high line with players unsuitable as with Chelsea and plays a high line against really fast attackers. If he was great tactically he could develop a tactic which would suit his players but he instead plays a style totally unsuited to his players. Bale single handedly won them loads of games last season to disguise his system's flaws

Spurs won't finish above 4th while Levy is running them.  Seems to me he's more bothered about balancing books than attracting players to the club.

Finished 4th 2012. I don't think his ambitions are in question tbh, but more the setup has failed due to him buying the players rather than letting his manager manage the club. He loves making money, but more often than not it goes straight back in to the team, problem is this time it was spent by a party who wasn't the manager.

Not sure when club in general will ever learn this lesson, it mostly doesn't fucking work.

I think AVB is overrated, if anything. There's a reason Mourinho wants nothing to do with him. Makes it perfectly clear AVB was NEVER his assistant. I reckon he knows that AVB is going to be found out.

That's rubbish imo.  It's mourinho being a cunt as per usual to anyone who disowns him.

Maybe. I have no inside knowledge. It's just a gut feeling. But it's well known the reason AVB left was because he wanted more responsibility. Jose had him working as a scout and refused to promote him. Then they had a falling out.

The fact Mourinho didn't want to promote him speaks volumes to my ears.

or shows that Mourinho is a complete cunt since AVB has hardly been a complete disaster and utterly clueless since he became a manager.

Maybe it was all ego. Who knows? All I know is Mourinho didn't promote him and, to me, AVB comes across as a chancer.

He hasn't been a total disaster, no. But he has his UEFA licences. He's had his training to the point where he can manage professionally. But outside of that I can't see anything that separates him from the bloke on the street.

I think he's very fortunate to be where he is.

Would it make much difference to the league though? How often have mid-season managerial changes dramatically changed the fortunes of a team?

I'd say that probably happens quite often.  Roeder, Robson and Keegan (twice) for us for a start.

Mostly yes but the 2008 version of Keegan didn't win a game for two months after he was appointed.

Would it make much difference to the league though? How often have mid-season managerial changes dramatically changed the fortunes of a team?

I'd say that probably happens quite often.  Roeder, Robson and Keegan (twice) for us for a start.

Mostly yes but the 2008 version of Keegan didn't win a game for two months after he was appointed.

We were going down under Allardyce, we instead stayed up under Keegan and started playing excellent football that could have been built on if the owner wasn't such a childish, manipulative fucking arsehole.  The Keegan appointment is a good example of appointing a manager and seeing the fortunes of a team change.

I think AVB is overrated, if anything. There's a reason Mourinho wants nothing to do with him. Makes it perfectly clear AVB was NEVER his assistant. I reckon he knows that AVB is going to be found out.

That's rubbish imo.  It's mourinho being a c*** as per usual to anyone who disowns him.

Maybe. I have no inside knowledge. It's just a gut feeling. But it's well known the reason AVB left was because he wanted more responsibility. Jose had him working as a scout and refused to promote him. Then they had a falling out.

or shows that Mourinho is a complete c*** since AVB has hardly been a complete disaster and utterly clueless since he became a manager.

Maybe it was all ego. Who knows? All I know is Mourinho didn't promote him and, to me, AVB comes across as a chancer.

He hasn't been a total disaster, no. But he has his UEFA licences. He's had his training to the point where he can manage professionally. But outside of that I can't see anything that separates him from the bloke on the street.

Jose Mourinho always had a local assistant where he went - Clarke (Chelsea), Baresi (Inter), Karanka (Real), Steve Holland (Chelsea).

Unfair to whack AVB with 'he's not good enough' when it's clear Mourinho has his preferences when it comes to appointing his assistants.

Speaking of Mourinho, plenty of other Chelsea managers have been sacked for less. They've been really poor this season, especially in the cups yet remain in touching distance at the top.

This is probably his biggest ever challenge. At Chelsea, Inter and Madrid he inherited class teams that needed a bit of tweaking and direction. His transfer record is poor so it will be interesting how it works out

Mourinho's got a very gifted squad pretty much all over the pitch at Chelsea tbh, I've got no idea why he went into the season with them 3 as his strikers though.  Seemed daft then and seems daft now.

shit without drogba

Speaking of Mourinho, plenty of other Chelsea managers have been sacked for less. They've been really poor this season, especially in the cups yet remain in touching distance at the top.

This is probably his biggest ever challenge. At Chelsea, Inter and Madrid he inherited class teams that needed a bit of tweaking and direction. His transfer record is poor so it will be interesting how it works out

Di Matteo was, but this was because he was unwanted, the same with Grant. Chelsea are still on course to do well in the three competitions that "matter" and will likely go top if they can manage a win next Monday.

That's rubbish imo.  It's mourinho being a c*** as per usual to anyone who disowns him.

or shows that Mourinho is a complete c*** since AVB has hardly been a complete disaster and utterly clueless since he became a manager.

Jose Mourinho always had a local assistant where he went - Clarke (Chelsea), Baresi (Inter), Karanka (Real), Steve Holland (Chelsea).

Unfair to whack AVB with 'he's not good enough' when it's clear Mourinho has his preferences when it comes to appointing his assistants.

Jose was happy giving him a scouting role but wouldn't promote him. Obviously I can't know what his reasons were but the long and short of it is that he didn't want AVB heavily involved in the team. As a result AVB left and they're no longer mates. Jose knows AVB way better than most and he either didn't like him, didn't trust him, or whatever.

Also worth noting that AVB has alienated the squad in both of his last two jobs.

Jose is very into his psychology and motivational techniques. My guess (and it is only a guess) is that AVB is a massive prick who does not play well with others.