The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

2 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Lampard back to Chelsea until the summer is my guess.

They are only 10 points away from being in the relegation battle, I guess it’s doable.

Have no sympathy whatsoever for Potter mind. This is one of the most obvious turn of events you could predict in world football and he's a complete fool for leaving the situation he was in to go to fucking Chelsea. 

55 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I’d imagine both Rodgers and Potter would have clauses where they don’t take another Premier League job for the remainder of the season.

Matt Law was saying Potter wasn’t put on gardening leave so assume he’s free to do whatever he pleases

Potter had to take the Chelsea job when it was offered. If he said no, then he’s tagged as being afraid of a big club and doesn’t get offered anything else big.

But he’ll take his payoff and move on, with the Chelsea sacking as “Well, it’s Chelsea” and not much damage done to his rep.

2 minutes ago, Exiled in Texas said:

Potter had to take the Chelsea job when it was offered. If he said no, then he’s tagged as being afraid of a big club and doesn’t get offered anything else big.

But he’ll take his payoff and move on, with the Chelsea sacking as “Well, it’s Chelsea” and not much damage done to his rep.

I'd say he'd have more about him if he didn't care with how he was tagged or had the confidence to think his ability would be seen by clubs less insane than Chelsea. If he'd continued as he was at Brighton he still would have had the option of other clubs imo, or could have succeeded at Brighton maybe.

It's going to Chelsea specifically that makes him daft imo. They're a complete basket case with a revolving door of managers and an owner who thought Tuchel wasn't good enough and thinks he's playing Football Manager. I honestly don't know what Potter was expecting.

9 minutes ago, Exiled in Texas said:

:clap: 100%

And it absolutely could’ve worked at Chelsea too, under some different circumstances. And it would’ve been a huge upgrade to his CV. 

22 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I'd say he'd have more about him if he didn't care with how he was tagged or had the confidence to think his ability would be seen by clubs less insane than Chelsea. If he'd continued as he was at Brighton he still would have had the option of other clubs imo, or could have succeeded at Brighton maybe.

It's going to Chelsea specifically that makes him daft imo. They're a complete basket case with a revolving door of managers and an owner who thought Tuchel wasn't good enough and thinks he's playing Football Manager. I honestly don't know what Potter was expecting.

The reputation of a manager in football is very volatile. It only takes one wrong transfer or a couple of injuries to key players for a club like Brighton to slide, and immediately the envious looks from some of the more established clubs disappear.  As much of a basket case Chelsea are, I don't blame him for accepting the job. 

Look at Eddie Howe. I posted here the summer before you were taken over that Eddie's achievements at Bournemouth is one of English football's great stories. There was not a lot of enthusiasm toward him at that time on here. I don't know the details of your managerial search, but my impression is that if Unai Emery had shown a strong interest in the Newcastle job, there is a good job Eddie Howe might still be in the managerial wilderness. Correct me if I am wrong.  

No chance Potter could've turned down the Chelsea opportunity, even if it was obvious the owners insane. There's always a revolving door of managers coming through that mid table pack of clubs, but how many of them really get a chance to step up to the clubs that regularly compete for silverware, knocking back the chance he would know he could just as easily not get another opportunity.

Now he's had the chance, had a payday and drop back into that realm and try something new, this won't have tarnished his reputation, with the mid table clubs if he wants a job there.

Or he can take some time off to learn more then look to come back stronger like Eddie did

On 01/04/2023 at 11:44, Stifler said:

Potter, Cooper, and Rodgers hat trick tomorrow/Monday?

All ex Swansea managers, we're wondering if there'll be a hat trick.

We'd take any of them to replace what we have now.

Boehly 

4 hours ago, brummie said:

Boehly is a fucking moron.

The absolute definition of knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing.

What a horrific club Chelsea are.

He must be the only American who doesn't understand stats. Amazing considering how their sports are viewed.

Expected points since December 1st.

image.thumb.png.9c63ae8dc355cf404656b84344178578.png

We should know this ourselves, but if you're missing chances, it's easy to get into a vicious circle of doubt and blame, which eats at self-confidence and makes you miss even more chances. It's not easy when things aren't going well, but jobs #1 and #2 are to keep the faith and block out the noise. As a new owner with a new manager, it can't be that difficult to answer every question with "we're doing a rebuild". We completely shat on Arsenal at the end of last season, but look at where they are now.

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Potter will be fine. Could even see him getting a pretty good job on the continent. 

I think Potter is quality. I wouldn't be surprised if we take a look at him post-Klopp if he is still available. Plenty of great managers including Rafa and Klopp and others have relegation on their CVs.  I would not be surprised if he bounces back given the right setting. I can see Potter doing well at places like the RB franchises, Dortmund, etc.

5 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Have no sympathy whatsoever for Potter mind. This is one of the most obvious turn of events you could predict in world football and he's a complete fool for leaving the situation he was in to go to fucking Chelsea. 

No manager has ever suffered for crashing and burning at Chelsea.  Without fail they've pocketed a dump truck full of money and walked into another top flight gig that was at a higher level than the job they had prior to Chelsea.

Only a fool would've stayed at Brighton in that situation.

Edited by Pandamninator

Chelsea is just a big mess. Their player recruit and manager policy is pure lunacy.  Otherhand, Potter`s faith remind me of Moyes in ManU and Hodgson in Liverpool. Some managers just work better with smaller clubs. 

8 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

True, but he probably earned more in those 7 months than he has in his entire football and managerial career combined, maybe 2 or 3 times with the payoff.

He had lego pieces from 10 different sets fired at him and told to build a skyscraper.

He was absolutely doomed the moment he took the job. I don't think his stock will take a massive hit. Will walk back into another PL job.

Was never going to work, sorry managing a big ego squad like chelsea is a different job than managing an underdog side with no expectations. This is not to diminish doing the latter, as embarassing as it must be for him how great brighton have been since he left he did a great job. No doubt Potter has fantastic attributes but I don't think there is a more difficult dressing room traditionally than the chelsea one, and it stays as such due to the ludicrous spending policy. IF they wanted to become a team focusing on playing style they should have given potter a sympathetic sporting director who will work with him on targets and built a team around him, rather than super stars. But that doesn't bring in the marketable money. 

They will bring in Naglesman i suspect who will do the same thing as with bayern in that do ok for a while then lose the dressing room, cos thats what dressing rooms at these clubs do, they have won everything, the manager who comes in hasn't so why should they listen to him? Zidane would be a sensible shout for them but doubt he'd come

5 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Was never going to work, sorry managing a big ego squad like chelsea is a different job than managing an underdog side with no expectations. This is not to diminish doing the latter, as embarassing as it must be for him how great brighton have been since he left he did a great job. No doubt Potter has fantastic attributes but I don't think there is a more difficult dressing room traditionally than the chelsea one, and it stays as such due to the ludicrous spending policy. IF they wanted to become a team focusing on playing style they should have given potter a sympathetic sporting director who will work with him on targets and built a team around him, rather than super stars. But that doesn't bring in the marketable money. 

They will bring in Naglesman i suspect who will do the same thing as with bayern in that do ok for a while then lose the dressing room, cos thats what dressing rooms at these clubs do, they have won everything, the manager who comes in hasn't so why should they listen to him? Zidane would be a sensible shout for them but doubt he'd come

They largely haven't signed superstars.