The Managerial Merry Go Round™ – Arne to Slot in at Liverpool

cp40

He's honestly a perfect fit for Man Utd. He'll stay for a decade.

:lol: David Moyes was under-qualified for the job, OGS is beyond that.

Pep Guardiola had a year for Barcelona B before taking over Barcelona, but also had 13 years experience as a player at the club. OGS has 11 years experience as a Man Utd player, and managed their reserves for three years. Management wise he's very inexperienced for such a big club, but taking his career as whole into consideration, him as a fit for the club itself is perfect. Hence why I think it'll work out great at Man Utd, but that he'd fail spectacularly at any other current Prem club.

Let’s just say I’ll be very surprised if any comparison between Solskjaer and Guardiola becomes relevant.

Pep Guardiola had a year for Barcelona B before taking over Barcelona, but also had 13 years experience as a player at the club. OGS has 11 years experience as a Man Utd player, and managed their reserves for three years. Management wise he's very inexperienced for such a big club, but taking his career as whole into consideration, him as a fit for the club itself is perfect. Hence why I think it'll work out great at Man Utd, but that he'd fail spectacularly at any other current Prem club.

Let’s just say I’ll be very surprised if any comparison between Solskjaer and Guardiola becomes relevant.

Already relevant, so I guess you're surprised. They're both good fits for their clubs due to their knowledge of the club culture, history and systems - even though their resumes say they shouldn't have been near the gig in the first place.

There's no comparison between ability made here. Just circumstances.

Man Utd had an understrength team vs PSG like. Got a good result vs Spurs away and a draw against Liverpool which was decent considering their injuries during the game

PSG result was the biggest fluke of all time

He's clearly done well to turn things around on the field, can't even argue otherwise. I do think a lot of it was just the classic new guy bounce though. Different face, different message, fresh start which have given them momentum and the results speak for themselves.

The players who were just relieved he wasn't Mourinho now have to accept he's the new guy permanently now and they could be sold in the summer. They may need to extend their contracts, he may sign players to replace them and that dynamic has now changed. The novelty of him will soon wear off and I honestly think it'll go completely to shit in 12 months time. It virtually never works out appointing a successful caretaker. This is no different, its a classic mistake.

Failed in the Premier League, ended up in a lower league for a while, then inexplicably given a job at a big club and did well in his first season.  Remind you of anyone?

:pardsgrin:

Failed in the Premier League, ended up in a lower league for a while, then inexplicably given a job at a big club and did well in his first season.  Remind you of anyone?

Again, I'm literally saying I don't think he'd be a success at any other PL club :lol: Just that I think he's a great fit for Man Utd as they've been so fucked up by Ferguson staying there for decades, that taking the one former player that has built his entire manager persona on things he learnt from Ferguson will likely work out for them.

Again, I'm literally saying I don't think he'd be a success at any other PL club :lol: Just that I think he's a great fit for Man Utd as they've been so fucked up by Ferguson staying there for decades, that taking the one former player that has built his entire manager persona on things he learnt from Ferguson will likely work out for them.

:thup: I’m with you - and there is absolutely nothing wrong with drawing parallels to Pep’s development at Barca. They’ve tried to replace Ferguson with a project manager and two “superstar” managers - now they’re trying something different.

If they wanted to go back to Ferguson’s culture and all that bullshit, who were the alternatives? How many managers played their football under Ferguson? Or even coached under him (and haven’t proven to be shite)?

I think they’ll give him a longer leash than Moyes or van Gaal got, with the board and crowd being much more forgiving.

I think if Solskjaer keeps the likes of Mike Phelan in his backroom team and Man United strengthen their weakest areas in the summer then I think they will consistently finish in the top 4 which would make the Man United owners happy. I'm not sure though if he can get them back to seriously challenging the league title, but time will tell. I think he is a good fit though because he is liked by both players and fans and the previous managers after Ferguson never had that. Pochettino probably has the better CV, but I don't think he has helped himself with negative comments about how Spurs don't need trophies and should be happy with just finishing in the top 4 every season.

Zidane is probably a better conparison. Enrique too.

Don’t think Zidane was any tremendous shakes at Castilla but it was always going to happen. 

I’m modern football if you’re not wedded to a philosophy, the media won’t fawn over a Manager. OGS is in the Zidane style of pragmatism, leadership and man management. Think Ancelotti is similar.

I do think pragmatism works better in cup competitions but ingrained philosophies is better for league campaigns.

You've said OGS will appease the Man Utd board in finishing top 4 every season without really challenging for the title, then say Pochettino shot himself in the foot for saying he'd be happy finishing top 4 every season.

Just ignore whatever I said in that post then.  :lol:

I liked OGS' response to "Shouldn't you dominate more against a team like Watford?" being "What do you mean "a team like Watford"? They are a good team. They are in the semis of the FA Cup and they have very good players. Possession today was 50-50 and they probably had more shots on target than us. I don't think you're giving Watford the respect they deserve."

I liked OGS' response to "Shouldn't you dominate more against a team like Watford?" being "What do you mean "a team like Watford"? They are a good team. They are in the semis of the FA Cup and they have very good players. Possession today was 50-50 and they probably had more shots on target than us. I don't think you're giving Watford the respect they deserve."

Well they should dominate more against a team like Watford

Well they should dominate more against a team like Watford

Not if your manager is a media darling.

Wonder how long it'll be before he's shamelessly pulling other manager's to bits on Sky's EFL coverage. 0.34 win % in his last three jobs. Awful given they two mid table and one promotion pushing team.

Wonder how long it'll be before he's shamelessly pulling other manager's to bits on Sky's EFL coverage. 0.34 win % in his last three jobs. Awful given they two mid table and one promotion pushing team.

Surely he'll not be re-employed anywhere any time soon?