The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

4 hours ago, Froggy said:

Did I think highly of Ole as a manager? I defended him when he deserved to be defended and criticised him when he deserved to be criticised. I thought his time was up before the board sacked him. He still has the third highest win percentage of any manager in our history but ultimately the lack of trophies killed him. 

The major difference for me and the main point I'm trying to address is that everyone seems to defend Bielsa despite him having an absolutely atrocious season. The main defence being how he brought them up from the Championship so he has done a good job. Ole led us to a second place finish, so why the absolutely massive negative attitude towards him? He did not deserve the disrespect he got from opposition fans, but at the end of the day he wasn't good enough for Manchester United. 

I'll admit it's hard to think with a clear head when it comes to judging your own manager, especially when it's a club legend. :lol: Doesn't mean I don't or can't have opinions on managers of other teams. I've thought for a long time Bielsa is overrated. Not bad, just not a great coach like the media paints him because of how he sits on a cooler during a game or because he has unusual methods. 

You overrated Ole massively mate. You kept defending him, and yet you have the gall to slate Bielsa who had a fraction of Ole's spending power. I can understand it to some extent, Man U seem to have a real hate/hate relationship with Leeds for some reason. No idea what that's about.

33 minutes ago, joeyt said:

What more should he have achieved to make it a full done job?

Kicked on from last season and not free fall? He has a history of relatively short stints having not achieved anything remarkable apart from entertaining football and innovative coaching style.

Again, compare him to a 'shit' manager like Unai Emery....? :lol: No contest in terms of achievements. 

7 hours ago, TRon said:

You overrated Ole massively mate. You kept defending him, and yet you have the gall to slate Bielsa who had a fraction of Ole's spending power. I can understand it to some extent, Man U seem to have a real hate/hate relationship with Leeds for some reason. No idea what that's about.

Aye I defended him on here. :lol:

The rivalry with Leeds originated from the War of the Roses. It's steeped in history. One of the most legitimate rivalries in football. I suggest you read up on that if you have no idea what it's about. 

9 hours ago, Dinho lad said:

Kicked on from last season and not free fall? He has a history of relatively short stints having not achieved anything remarkable apart from entertaining football and innovative coaching style.

Again, compare him to a 'shit' manager like Unai Emery....? :lol: No contest in terms of achievements. 

Who has said Emery is a shit manager ffs :lol:

12 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

He did a colossal job at Leeds. His impact on the entire club and city has been huge. Leeds fans' feeling about their club pre and post Bielsa is almost beyond comparison. 

Absolutely. They went from Steve Fucking Evans, Garry Monk and Paul Heckingbottom to one of the most revered coaches in the game. In the second division.

Seen a lot of Man Utd fans online making noises about how Bielsa is overrated and a fraud etc, I’m guessing mostly skewed by hatred between the two clubs and it also must be difficult to see one of his footballing disciples dominate at Man City.

Actually very difficult to see as they are so far behind despite all of the American money splurged on their club. 

Think we should know more than most to listen to fans opinions when it comes to their own club and the vast majority of Leeds fans are devastated. 

6 hours ago, Froggy said:

Aye I defended him on here. :lol:

The rivalry with Leeds originated from the War of the Roses. It's steeped in history. One of the most legitimate rivalries in football. I suggest you read up on that if you have no idea what it's about. 

I mean we are talking about football here, not the middle ages, this isn't Game of Thrones. Man U seem to have quite a few rivalries don't they? Leeds, Man City, Liverpool. It must get tiring.

4 hours ago, joeyt said:

Who has said Emery is a shit manager ffs :lol:

Plenty on here, let's just say, 'downplay' his managerial ability. (maybe because he upset HBA's fanboys). :lol:

The point is, the rave Emery gets on here is far less than Bielsa, even though Emery has proved himself to be a better manager. 

15 hours ago, Dinho lad said:

It's the clique again mate, don't let them believe you're getting worked up about something that was never said.

In the 1990s and 2000, there was this German manager - Wolfgang Frank - who primarily operated in the Bundesliga second division. He was a big fan of Sacchi. Went and studied Sacchi's football and then spend time at Ajax and studied their total football principles. Bought those back to Germany and installed those principles at Mainz. First person to use video based evaluation of opposition and introduced zonal marking and counterpressing in Germany. Wolfgang Frank was the original German gegenpressing hipster manager. 

He had success at Mainz but was never able to cross the line - unable to get them promoted. His central defender at Mainz was Klopp. When Klopp was interviewing for the Mainz manager position, he said his goal was to go back to the principles of Wolfgang Frank. 

By every tangible metric, Wolfgang Frank was a failure at the highest level. Nothing of note in his CV, except losing a German cup final. At the same time, Klopp considers Wolfgang Frank to be one of the most important managers in German football and one of the greatest footballing minds. He states everything he applies in the field was learned from Wolfgang Frank. That Mainz school also generated Tuchel. Low and Ragnick also were inspired by the Frank school of coaching. 

Mangers like Bielsa, Wolfgang Frank - I wouldn't want them at the current LFC. But that does not mean we shouldn't admire them for what they did. 

6 hours ago, Dinho lad said:

Plenty on here, let's just say, 'downplay' his managerial ability. (maybe because he upset HBA's fanboys). :lol:

The point is, the rave Emery gets on here is far less than Bielsa, even though Emery has proved himself to be a better manager. 

If he has said anything negative about HBA he deserves to be labeled an ignorant cunt and a shit manager tbh.