How far can they go - what would break you?

Guest Howaythetoon

But what else do you do when you love football and you support NUFC?  There's little choice but to keep in touch with it somehow, or else fuck off football altogether.

Aye, the state of NUFC really is affecting my love for the game as a whole to be honest.

Never ever thought I'd see a day where I considered fucking football off, I'm not close to that point yet but just being a fucking neutral is such a grim thought.

I jacked a couple of years ago. Stopped the season ticket, stopped away games, stopped watching matches or highlights on the telly, stopped listening to radio coverage. I often don't know when or who we're playing. If I see the scoreline after a match I don't celebrate if we win, I'm not miserable if we lose. I'm completely numb about what happens at NUFC.

I've got better things to do than waste time and money on the shite that Ashley and his cronies want us to lap up like bleating braindead sheep.

A few weeks back I was in town on a match day so nipped into the boozer to see the lads I used to go to the match with. Out of a group of 20 season ticket holders every single one told me the same thing - "It's shit, I can't be arsed to go, but if I didn't go I'd never see me mates, so I've got to keep going".

There were plenty of shit times in the pre-Ashley era but I've never seen such widespread malaise amongst a very loyal and passionate group of lads.

Ashley has ripped out the soul of the club.

I'm completely broken and have been for a while.

Not one penny goes to Newcastle United, SD or Sky.

I watch the matches online for free, and I guess I always will, but I felt no emotion about the score. We beat Hull and whilst I smiled at the goals, I didn't celebrate. That wasn't a conscious decision on my part, it was just that I genuinely felt almost nothing. It was like watching Villa V Everton, or Stoke V Swansea, or any other combination of teams from anywhere in world football really.

f*** them. Why should I care about a club that doesn't care about itself? Why should I invest money or emotion into something that's pointless, that will never invest back into me? What, quite frankly, is the point?

Apologies if it comes across as dickier than intended, but why do you even waste your time watching online?

My only link to it is this place, it feels like a support group. Just keep checking in to see if everyone still feels as numb as I do. I had a brief feeling of excitement when Pardew left and the hope that we might get a positive new manager. Back to not giving a fuck now. There's a place going in hospitality at the weekend and I've had to turn it down because I know I'll spoil it for everyone by hating myself for being there.

"Hi my name is Matt and I'm a recovering NUFC supporter, it's been 3 months since my last match" *small round of half hearted slow clapping*

Pardew killed it for me, the whole situation was farcical! When he left there was a small glimmer of hope and I actually felt something again. But then as the weeks rolled on and it became more and more obvious that it was the same old Ashley smoke and mirrors culminating in Carver being given the nod the optimism took a nosedive again.

I have to admit I did follow the Hull game more fervently than any Pardew game or the Carver games up until then, on here only and at the end I felt something in response to the win. Like I've said, I'll take the remainder of the season for what it is and Carver gets my support as INTERIM head coach. Summer is the make or break for me, there are ways and means where the fans AND Jabba can get what they want out of the club and if Ashley brings in another Pardew I'll know he's just being a vindictive, spiteful, hateful prick and the club will be dead to me.

For some reason I remembered the other day about when they changed the name of the club on the east stand to 'SPORTSDIRECT.COM NEWCASTLE UNITED SPORTSDIRECT.COM' and even went so far as to change the bit with the club's actual name into the Sports Direct font.

For some reason I remembered the other day about when they changed the name of the club on the east stand to 'SPORTSDIRECT.COM NEWCASTLE UNITED SPORTSDIRECT.COM' and even went so far as to change the bit with the club's actual name into the Sports Direct font.

I really, really miss the old Newcastle United sign.

I really, really miss the old Newcastle United sign.

Should have bought it then, shouldn't you. Hardly Mike's fault.

I watch the matches online for free, and I guess I always will, but I felt no emotion about the score. We beat Hull and whilst I smiled at the goals, I didn't celebrate. That wasn't a conscious decision on my part, it was just that I genuinely felt almost nothing. It was like watching Villa V Everton, or Stoke V Swansea, or any other combination of teams from anywhere in world football really.

f*** them. Why should I care about a club that doesn't care about itself? Why should I invest money or emotion into something that's pointless, that will never invest back into me? What, quite frankly, is the point?

Apologies if it comes across as dickier than intended, but why do you even waste your time watching online?

Habit? Something to do on a weekend? Something to talk about at work on Monday? Why watch anything, I watch QI but don't celebrate Alan Davies' correct answers by jumping out of my chair and fist pumping the air.

I guess it's all of the above really. 

Impossible to answer. You've stopped supporting a club that means a great deal to most on here and while we can say why it's important to us (family, history, socially, whatever; Oh, and however disappointing the incumbent custodians, remains an important showcase for the city outside the region), I don't imagine it'll help.

Hope you find some pride in the club again some day soon and help make it great again, it certainly seems to be hitting a low point for many at the moment. :undecided: :thup:

They've already broken me. I truly hope we get relegated every year to the point of irrelevance - only then do I feel the fat man will leave us in peace.

Burn the place down, salt the earth and start again.

Old friend of mine who died 5 years ago had it right and he had been following the club since before WW2 ; he said they might as well knock the place down and build flats on it.

Can't see a better alternative in the foreseeable future.

If it wasn't for NO I'd have been completely broken and just watched the European game casually and the PL with disgust. I'm not giving a single fuck about this shit until MA is gone or until we hire a proper manager and act like a semi ambitious club. Don't see much changing from that department.

Glad they've found a way to alienate an American who's fell madly in love with a club and city he's never been to and who's been supporting them like a mad man for nearly 20 years. If it wasn't for you lot and the friends I've made here id say I probably wasted 20 years of my life falling in love with KK's dream and SBR's class and all the wonderful players that could and should have won something here and left empty handed.

If it wasn't for NO I'd have been completely broken and just watched the European game casually and the PL with disgust. I'm not giving a single fuck about this shit until MA is gone or until we hire a proper manager and act like a semi ambitious club. Don't see much changing from that department.

Glad they've found a way to alienate an American who's fell madly in love with a club and city he's never been to and who's been supporting them like a mad man for nearly 20 years. If it wasn't for you lot and the friends I've made here id say I probably wasted 20 years of my life falling in love with KK's dream and SBR's class and all the wonderful players that could and should have won something here and left empty handed.

As far as I'm concerned we should just rename this wonderful place "-Online" until Ashley leaves.

As far as I'm concerned we should just rename this wonderful place "-Online" until Ashley leaves.

"SD Online" FTW

Define broken. I wouldn't say we have been broken more like slowly poisoned. It's so much worse looking back to how much different i felt. If I reflect to several years ago and look how I feel about the club it's scary. Each passing humiliation is just numbed.. I get angry then I simply find myself questioning why I care. Especially now I'm living in Canada. I find myself more excited by the mls right now.

We have been slowly drained of hope and interest. One by one, humiliation after humiliation. This summer will be a huge summer for the club. If we continue on this course and don't hire someone credible and spend money in the summer I think there will be a considerable amount of people that will, as much as they can, walk away from the club.

This club has been my biggest passion since I was a kid. I will always love it, but I cant keep letting it ruin my day or make me feel like crap when I try and muster up excitement just to be slapped back down again by the clubs predictable lack of ambition.

Our fans are too good for the club at the moment and there is only so much more people will endure, each time the interest and love will fade just like everything that was good about this club and made us fall in love with it seems to be. Like most things in life once it's gone it will be hard to get it back. Job done Mike.

what's especially galling about this is that as ashley turns the slow knife to get his revenge on us and keeping us roasting in perpetual football hell, it's not actually costing the prick any money to do it, indeed he's going to end up making money

had it cost him money to be this vindictive and a prick then there would have been something there fore us, but as it is he's going to win repeatedly until he gets bored with it, which will be never