Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I don't understand your argument at all like OT. Even now Atletico Madrid are on the verge of winning La Liga and the CL. History is littered with teams going above and beyond what's expected. Saying otherwise, even with a cynical outlook on it ignores the amount of recent finals reached, leagues won and cups won by teams that you wouldn't expect to across Europe.

I think there's an error in conflating the exception with the norm. Atletico winning this year doesn't vindicate the fact that La Liga has been a two-club shop every year since Valencia torpedoed themselves.

Obviously there's no such thing as a statistical impossibility, and there are all kinds of cups in every country so even smaller teams will win sometimes (that's probably why cups still exist), but I just happen to think that the disparity in prospects for success between a small subset of clubs and other clubs is too large.

Of course you could think that while the disparity exists, it's still within reason. that's a subjective judgment call and entirely up to you.

I don't understand your argument at all like OT. Even now Atletico Madrid are on the verge of winning La Liga and the CL. History is littered with teams going above and beyond what's expected. Saying otherwise, even with a cynical outlook on it ignores the amount of recent finals reached, leagues won and cups won by teams that you wouldn't expect to across Europe.

I think there's an error in conflating the exception with the norm. Atletico winning this year doesn't vindicate the fact that La Liga has been a two-club shop every year since Valencia torpedoed themselves.

Obviously there's no such thing as a statistical impossibility, and there are all kinds of cups in every country so even smaller teams will win sometimes (that's probably why cups still exist), but I just happen to think that the disparity in prospects for success between a small subset of clubs and other clubs is too large.

Of course you could think that while the disparity exists, it's still within reason. that's a subjective judgment call and entirely up to you.

Haven't really followed this whole conversation, but two questions, firstly haven't football always been like this even without the mass influx of money into leagues? And secondly what do you suggest is the best way to go, what system would you have implemented?

Guest firetotheworks

I'll just get straight to the point.

Do you think that we shouldn't try to win a cup in the same way that: Swansea, Wigan, Portsmouth, Birmingham, Spurs, Middlesbrough have won cups in the last 10 years (that's 6 times out of 10 years where "non-entitlement clubs" as you put it have won cups) or compete in finals in the way that Millwall, West Ham, Cardiff x2, Everton, Portsmouth, Stoke, Bolton, Wigan, Villa, Bradford and Sunderland have in the last 10 years? (that's 12 times out of 10 years where "non-entitlement teams" have competed in a finals)