Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

19 hours ago, Happinesstan said:

Seems Targett isn't the attacking WB I had assumed, but his passing is impressive. He'll be effective at recycling it through the middle  for ASM.

Attack the right with Trippier and the left with ASM, with two big Brazilians mopping up and recycling. Willock [subject to further incomings] and Wood [likewise] scoring the goals.

In terms of the new faces, you'd imagine Burn and Bruno go straight in. It'll be interesting to see who drops out though. I wonder if Targett will be rotated with Manquillo depending on the opponent and if we're going to attack their right flank.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Hopefully having a player who can naturally sit in will allow Willock and Longstaff to break forward.

Not so sure on Longstaff especially short term. I think he'll play with Shelvey feeding the ball out at least till he's sure Bruno is used to the pace and physicality of the prem. 

32 minutes ago, Collage said:

Wood needs pace and movement around him. I’d be tempted to revisit Rafa’s three amigos (Perez-Rondon-Almiron) and play ASM-Wood-Almiron up front.

Me too, just losing the theoretical crossing of Fraser. That could be a good source of chances for Wood if he can raise his game a bit in that area. 

Bruno should help in getting Wood more involved, he should be able to fill that gap between the midfield and forwards. ASM is just going to do his own thing, so we need Fraser to get a lot closer to Wood and make things happen. 

1 hour ago, TorchyTBB said:

Sorry if this has already been asked/answered, but when does the revised squad have to be submitted to the premier league? Ta.

Day after transfer deadline (today)

Just thinking out loud but I wonder if you could solve the problem of Fraser/Murphy being our only right wing options by not playing one and using a 3-4-2-1 instead.

Dubs

Schar - Lascelles - Burn

Trippier - Shelvey - Bruno - Targett

Joelinton - Saint-Max

Wilson

Targett as a wing back isn't ideal if he's not up to much in an attacking sense, but he would be play quite defensively anyway and allow ASM and Trippier to do their thing further up the pitch.

4 minutes ago, Smal said:

Just thinking out loud but I wonder if you could solve the problem of Fraser/Murphy being our only right wing options by not playing one and using a 3-4-2-1 instead.

Dubs

Schar - Lascelles - Burn

Trippier - Shelvey - Bruno - Targett

Joelinton - Saint-Max

Wilson

Targett as a wing back isn't ideal if he's not up to much in an attacking sense, but he would be play quite defensively anyway and allow ASM and Trippier to do their thing further up the pitch.

I think Targett could be perfect on that side, allow ASM to do his stuff in that part of the pitch, and offer support when he needs/sees it. ASM likes it to feet, and just going off Targett's lack of assists and excellent progressive passes, might suggest he's the guy to do that. It could be a very astute signing.

Once Wilson is back I'm sticking to my Double Brazilian pivot with wither Miggy or Willock playing as a not quite attacking midfielder/not quite number 10 and then ASM and Fraser/Murphy supporting Wilson.

I don't think we have the right balance to play a true 4-3-3 and we need something that gives the 'no 10' license to break forward.

This could also work with Wood but you are looking for the 2 wide forwards (plus Miggy/Willock) to be breaking past him a lot or playing wide and swinging balls in.

Perhaps Murphy when Wilson is back, Fraser when Wood is playing 

12 minutes ago, Papavasiliou said:

I'd be binning off Krafth from the squad before Lewis or Hayden.

Krafth is a bit more versatile, and can play RB and CB. Lewis is more limited in that he can only play LB, which is a position we've got adequate cover in. Hayden is also crooked for the majority of the season.

2 minutes ago, 54 said:

Krafth is a bit more versatile, and can play RB and CB. Lewis is more limited in that he can only play LB, which is a position we've got adequate cover in. Hayden is also crooked for the majority of the season.

Aye but he's shite in both of those positions.

We've got a RB and a CB in this window and he should already have been bottom of the pecking order for both spots.

14 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Hayden might have played his last game for us then.

Hopefully - he brings nothing to the pitch, except getting grass stains on his arse from an injury every game

Edited by Awaymag

I wonder if we'll see Joelinton possibly moved to a more advanced role? Left side of a front three perhaps?

Bruno G       Shelvey

ASM                Almiron              Joelinton

Wood

Wouldn't mind seeing that as a front 6. (Don't really have a preference for who partners Bruno in CM, went for Shelvey by default)

I'd want Almiron and ASM to be quite interchangeable there, basically Almiron on the right in defense and central in attack. Don't ask much of ASM defensively, let him float and be a threat on the counter.

If Wood starts to play well I wonder if Howe has plans for him and Wilson to be on the field at the same time. Could actually see them being a decent pairing.