Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

I hope supporting Wilson more would help, anyhow. It depends on exactly what is wrong with him, but I'd hope that if it's psychological, him being less of a big fish in a small attacking pond, with less pressure on him would help.

And if it's his legs, which I find more likely, then maybe we can get a mini Shearer-style renaissance out of him by surrounding him with pace and energy.

Edited by 80

Be more than happy to see Isak and Wilson together, has looked like it could be useful in the very limited time we've seen it. Especially v Fulham. But I don't want to see Wilson starting at the expense of Isak anymore, it doesn't make sense now.

Think we're decently likely to see Almiron-Isak-Gordon start against Wolves. I just can't see Howe moving away from 4-3-3 as it's such a balanced shape for us. I think he'd rather try different personnel as a starting point and change formation in-game if needed. Personally, I'd give Almiron a rest.

I think it's definitely time to get Isak in the team. If we're going to do that he needs runners beyond him based on what I've seen of him so far, so that means Willock and Almirón.

Pope

Trippier  Schar  Botman  Burn

Guimaraes  Joelinton

Almirón  Willock  Saint-Maximin

Isak

In defence this can become a simple 4-4-2 pressing shape with Willock and Isak pressing from the front:

Pope

Tripper  Schar  Botman  Burn

Almirón  Guimaraes  Joelinton  Saint-Maximin

Isak  Willock

In possession if might be something more like a 3-2-5:

Pope

Schar  Botman  Burn

Guimaraes  Joelinton

Trippier Almirón  Isak  Willock  Saint-Maximin

3-2-5 gives us a good rest defence to prevent counters and gives us plenty of passing options from the back. Bruno should be able to progress play better in this kind of role too. ASM and Trippier holding width. Almirón, Isak and Willock occupying the channels.

Edited by Smal

With Big Joe out for 2 games the 4-3-3 loses its natural balance anyway, so may as well try something new.

Bring Targett in at left back, to give Burn a rest if nothing else.

Bruno and little Joe in the middle, again I think Longstaff could do with a little rest but nothing in little Joe/Longstaff for the second position

ASM and Gordon wide

Isak and Wilson up top

We'd be exposed against the better teams, but this would give at least half the league a different proposition to think about on how they deal with us

People forgetting Willock has been a generally good LCM as well? His best spells for us are at LCM - he’s constantly pressing, winning balls all over the pitch and has that ability to drive us forward. His absolute best was when Joelinton played left wing. For next two he’s going to need to work with with Maxi or Gordon. Could be deadly if they can get it going quickly. 

image.thumb.png.9f3e7c242636a57a9c49786e788e81de.png

Not sure how viable the above is, Gordon would need severe training to play LWB but it's a way of getting Isak on the pitch but sharing the load of leading the line at the same time.

I've given no consideration to the numbers btw, before the position/number nonces get triggered.

Edited by Sima

The major risk of playing Isak and Wilson together is that if one gets injured - which they’re quite likely to if history is anything to go by! - then we have legitimately no back up. Putting both on the field at the same time increases the chance of one of them getting injured.

20 minutes ago, Kanji said:

People forgetting Willock has been a generally good LCM as well? His best spells for us are at LCM - he’s constantly pressing, winning balls all over the pitch and has that ability to drive us forward. His absolute best was when Joelinton played left wing. For next two he’s going to need to work with with Maxi or Gordon. Could be deadly if they can get it going quickly. 

:thup:

He's very impressive on the ball.

4 minutes ago, Smal said:

The major risk of playing Isak and Wilson together is that if one gets injured - which they’re quite likely to if history is anything to go by! - then we have legitimately no back up. Putting both on the field at the same time increases the chance of one of them getting injured.

Isak's injury that he suffered this season was the first long term one he's had in his career.

If Gordon is comfortable right wing, then imo he should get a chance there, with ASM on the left and Isak up top. Almiron needs a kick up the arse, he's been virtually invisible since his goal at Leicester.

I'd like to see us go 4-2-3-1.

Targett in for Burn at LB.

Bruno and Longstaff in CM.

Isak up top.

ASM, Almiron and Gordon in the three. Actually not sure which positions across the three I'd play each of those, though. Some intriguing options there.

You could play ASM just off Isak, give him a bit more freedom. Those two seem to have a decent understanding. Almiron and Gordon on the wings would allow you to have both full backs well protected, too.

Would also be quite interested to see Miggy central. Been figured out a little bit on the right and #10 was always his best position previously so could be worth a go there with Gordon playing on the right.

Ideally I'd want Isak off Wilson but Wilson is just so out of form man, seems mad to persist with him.

Would defo try ASM on right, Gordon on left. Almiron needs a break, rest him for the next two. 

Would like Ashby to come on as sub for Trippier at some point if we're ahead by two in the next few games. 

Isak has to start up top. 

Willock in for Joelinton's suspension. 

Give Burn a rest for the next few, put Targett in. 

Wilson can come on for Willock if we need a goal, Almiron for ASM if we're leading and need to hold onto the game. 

Schar should start but more confident in Lascelles than before .

The only indispensible players in their roles:

Pope

Trippier

Botman

Bruno

Isak

Possibly Joelinton

The rest are interchangeable. 

We need to add at least 3 indispensible players - a Diaby, a Maddison, and a Tierney for this summer. 

2 hours ago, kingxlnc said:

Would defo try ASM on right, Gordon on left. Almiron needs a break, rest him for the next two. 

Would like Ashby to come on as sub for Trippier at some point if we're ahead by two in the next few games. 

Isak has to start up top. 

Willock in for Joelinton's suspension. 

Give Burn a rest for the next few, put Targett in. 

Wilson can come on for Willock if we need a goal, Almiron for ASM if we're leading and need to hold onto the game. 

Schar should start but more confident in Lascelles than before .

The only indispensible players in their roles:

Pope

Trippier

Botman

Bruno

Isak

Possibly Joelinton

The rest are interchangeable. 

We need to add at least 3 indispensible players - a Diaby, a Maddison, and a Tierney for this summer. 

We MAY get Maddison come what May this summer but I’d say less likely than likely if we get less than EL. No chance with the other 2 without CL.

Unless we put another great run together and get CL I think this summer will be another of looking at £25-£40m signings from abroad to take us forward rather than the bigger names that we’ve been linked with over the season.

2 hours ago, NEEJ said:

Some really nice stuff in there. Seems like we've been leaving ASM higher and wider to help with isolation on the switch where possible. He's had plenty of touches in games he's started recently but it's not really amounted to much; personally, I just feel like he tries to cut inside to work a shot way too often even when the obvious space is on the outside. I want Targett back in the team but didn't think it was a game changer - on this evidence, having him against 'weaker' sides is a biggie to meet our general gameplan as he has a decent early cross on him.

I like the bit about overloads which then give us a natural presence in the box after the switch. Feels like if we had a wide forward on the right side who can attack crosses in the box then that'd be a help.

Had an interesting debate with a work colleague today regarding the pros and cons of Europa League football next season. He felt that it’d put pressure on our already weak squad and likely derail our league campaign next season, and would rather finish 8th this year than 6th, and then push for Champions League the following season. I felt that the benefits of the EL outweighed the risk in terms of showing progression to the likes of Bruno and expanding the squad from a better position being able to offer European football. Given we need to get more bodies in anyway I’d rather we attract a slightly higher calibre 

Curious what others think? I can see his point in that we don’t want to be another West Ham, but also don’t think there’s any guarantee that we’d nail top 4 next season without a European campaign as you can’t predict how good a season the other big teams will have. Shying away from European football now feels massively unambitious to me 

We've had some absolute nutters making the same argument for not qualifying for the Champions League.

I do think it becomes a good debate when it comes to the Europa League and particularly the Conference League, though, mainly due to the financial differences involved.

I'd probably still want us to qualify because the net benefit should still be higher for the club overall, and from a purely sporting perspective you want to be competing for as many trophies as possible, but I can see the perspective that it might put a lot of strain on a squad that already appears to struggle with a game a week in terms of fitness.

Speaking purely as a fan, though, the more games the merrier.

I have to say I don't think the Europa League or Conference makes any difference to the players you can attract, but if we're serious about getting to the top it shouldn't be viewed as a hindrance to getting to the CL at all. If you want to get there and fight on all fronts, you improve the squad, it's what all of the top 6 already do and it's the leap you have to take. If you end up largely playing the same XI in all competitions you've only got yourself to blame really.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Europa League would definitely be a good thing. It would demonstrate real progress to everyone inside and outside of the club, and deliver a footballing education to us. As I've said before, I expect our first campaign to be humbling, so better we get that done sooner rather than later, for Eddie and the board's sake, never mind the supporters. I think there's such a lot of reasons why we shouldn't be turning our noses up at that.

The conference league, I'm less sure about... I guess it can't hurt too much. It's basically a season long intertoto, right?

1 hour ago, 80 said:

Europa League would definitely be a good thing. It would demonstrate real progress to everyone inside and outside of the club, and deliver a footballing education to us. As I've said before, I expect our first campaign to be humbling, so better we get that done sooner rather than later, for Eddie and the board's sake, never mind the supporters. I think there's such a lot of reasons why we shouldn't be turning our noses up at that.

The conference league, I'm less sure about... I guess it can't hurt too much. It's basically a season long intertoto, right?

This is mostly where I fell on it. Back in Europe is real, tangible progress and portrays a club that's on the up to future signings and to those we've already sold on our project.