Squad & tactics (2023/24)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

rnro2GkISLvO.gif

...for playing with three at the back?

Given how poor our wing options are it might be worth a look when ASM is out as we look utterly fucking hopeless without him.

We have three CBs who have all looked good this year to the extent that Howe is rotating them. Even Lascelles looked much improved against Liverpool.

Might be an idea to get an extra one on the pitch and change the shape of the team to accommodate it?

Would lend itself to Isak and Wilson starting as a pairing up front and would be ideal for Trippier as it would give him license to play even more advanced than he already does.

The obvious question mark is over Targett as a wing back. He's probably a bit limited both athletically and technically to be a good wing back but he's a really good crosser of the ball and wouldn't disgrace himself by any means IMO.

I don't know, hopefully ASM is back for Fulham but if not I wonder if we might see Howe change it up a bit.

Even though Joelinton isnt a 6, I would like to see this tried:

Pope

Schar     Botman    Burn

Trippier    Bruno     Joelinton      Targett

Isak      Wilson       ASM

On 18/09/2022 at 20:41, STM said:

Even though Joelinton isnt a 6, I would like to see this tried:

Pope

Schar     Botman    Burn

Trippier    Bruno     Joelinton      Targett

Isak      Wilson       ASM

I really agree with this actually in games we ought to be dominating. Trippier can push on and go wide to allow Isak and Wilson to play more central, it would I think require ASM to stay wider and of course you know him and tactical discipline...

The big unknown factor is if Isak and Wilson will dovetail or step on each others toes. 

On 20/09/2022 at 13:04, Tiresias said:

I really agree with this actually in games we ought to be dominating. Trippier can push on and go wide to allow Isak and Wilson to play more central, it would I think require ASM to stay wider and of course you know him and tactical discipline...

The big unknown factor is if Isak and Wilson will dovetail or step on each others toes. 

We dont need to have three at the back when ASM plays as Trippier always bombs on and targett generally stays further back to leave us with a back three.

we would have even less attacking threat if we go five at the back.

I think that bruno on form, isak out on the right and swap miggy/anderson for willock and we would be much more creative??

miggy ——bruno——joe

isak——-wilson——ASM

• 5 weeks later...

I don't think we discuss our system enough as it's quite hard to pin down what it is or compare it to another side, it's almost like Eddie has invented a new style even if it has similarities with other systems, Gegenpress etc.  I think you can tell that Eddie has implemented a lot he learned watching Simeone in his time in Madrid.

How would you describe our system?  Which club/managers system is the closest approximation?

• 2 months later...

And if you could compare them to another team in the past ten years, who would be the apt comparison?

For me, you seem similiar to some of the Atletico teams over the years, very physically strong team full of workhorses with a few world class players sprinkled in.

Intense is the right word.

We've had very good teams over the years, and some functional ones (eg Rafa), but the difference here is that the relentlessness on the pitch matches the atmosphere in the ground. I've never really experienced that before and I'm old enough to recall the Keegan and Robson days.

We've certainly never had a team like this in my 35 years.

Our previous good sides in the last 30 years were always hampered by the lack of a solid defence. This is the first time I can recall us having it all, ridiculously solid at the back whilst still scoring goals for fun. It's great to be able to stick it to the charlatan's in charge before Howe who repeatedly told us that we couldn't have both.