Other clubs' transfers

TBG

Still think James is the most needless signing in football history.

I reserve this.  I think Ronaldo may have had passed his peak.  If that's the case,  it is not meaningless.

what evidence is there to suggest that?

Last season saw his lowest goalscoring return since his first season at Real Madrid - when he missed several months through injury. Particularly his form dipped significantly sine January last year.

Of course, we are still talking about a ridiculous return, but Real Madrid have to start planning ahead. James also potentially enables Ancelotti to play his preferred diamond formation.

he played with a thigh injury I think for large portions of they year I believe.

In any case - that would make a Suarez signing make sense. Not James.

Guillem Balague says that Di Maria has chosen to go to Man Utd

£56m according to SSN. Mental.

Really? One of the best wingers in the world imo.

LvG will probably play him central though.

As good as he is, where will he play? Reeks of trying to sign a big name player to appease people rather than signing somebody who is actually needed to improve the team.

Di María's fine as central player; it's not like he's been seeing much of Real Madrid's wings with Ronaldo and Bale around.

He is but that probably causes more problems than it solves for Man Utd if he plays there.

Di Maria was always great as a winger but his true best position has always been as a B2B CM.

It was like that at Benfica and with the national team his form exploded when they moved him to CM. Last season at Madrid by far his best and most consistently best performances came in that position, him playing that role was one of the key reasons they won the CL.

Really Man Yoo to get the most from these players should switch to a 442 diamond, but I doubt Van Gaal will deviate from the 352 although he probably should.

Di Maria was always great as a winger but his true best position has always been as a B2B CM.

It was like that at Benfica and with the national team his form exploded when they moved him to CM. Last season at Madrid by far his best and most consistently best performances came in that position, him playing that role was one of the key reasons they won the CL.

Really Man Yoo to get the most from these players should switch to a 442 diamond, but I doubt Van Gaal will deviate from the 352 although he probably should.

:sweetjesus:

Van Gaal has adopted the 3-5-1-2 fairly recently hasn't he? I don't see why people think he's so wedded to the idea apart from he liked how it worked for Holland and it accomodates RVP and Rooney in the same system in their preferred position. He won't be able to fit Di Maria into the system so will probably go 4-3-3 and p*ss off Rooney and RVP and possibly be the better for it.

I really hope they get 7th again or something. Think Van Gaal will do fine though but will start slow. If board panic and sack him early they will sink further.

Van Gaal has adopted the 3-5-1-2 fairly recently hasn't he? I don't see why people think he's so wedded to the idea apart from he liked how it worked for Holland and it accomodates RVP and Rooney in the same system in their preferred position. He won't be able to fit Di Maria into the system so will probably go 4-3-3 and p*ss off Rooney and RVP and possibly be the better for it.

I really hope they get 7th again or something. Think Van Gaal will do fine though but will start slow. If board panic and sack him early they will sink further.

Doubt it.

As good as he is, where will he play? Reeks of trying to sign a big name player to appease people rather than signing somebody who is actually needed to improve the team.

Appeasing others - in that manner - doesn't strike me as something van Gaal does. If this is done without his consent expect to hear about it.

He's an incredible player but not what they need. There really doesn't seem to be much thought or any kind of plan put into Man Utds transfer dealings post fergie just throw money randomly around and hope you get it right.

Di Maria is a good but not a great winger. However as a left sided midfielder in an Ancelotti 4-3-3 he's phenomenal and completely reinvented himself last season. Before Ancelotti he wasn't much to talk about and nowhere near the worth he is right now.

Always thought he was a player that picked up knocks but it looks like he's averaged 48 games a season for Real since he's been there.

Good addition to the league if he comes imo, when he's on it he's outstanding to watch.

Rooney          RvP

Mata

Di Maria        Herrera

Carrick 

?

Would ask a lot from fullbacks. Although ADM can easily shift closer to touchline to bring width