Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

For an attacking midfielder (that's told to defend while watching the ball fly over his head) I don't think it's that bad. Add up the minutes played and you'll be lucky to be half way to 76 full league games. But yeah, have fun fishing!

I'll happily watch countless youtube videos of Hatem's bossiness and tell youse' people who don't agree with me to F off.

And you can carry on enjoying defensive wingers or saying I told you so, and all that fucking boring defeatist horse shit.

Can't believe Ben Arfa only has 13 goals in 76 league games, for an attacking midfielder its hardly amazing tbh

Shame Ben Arfa doesn't have the drive and determination to improve throughout his career when you look at other players around his age and where he could have been

It's not bad for a winger in a team with no emphasis on attacking or movement though

Guest neesy111

How many did Ginola score? He was pretty handy..

Ginola didn't actually score too many goals for us.  7 goals in all competitions.  Still a great player though.

It's true enough that you can't rely on him to do defensive work. You have to give him a free role behind a main striker and rely on others to fill any gaps. And from what Bruce is saying, this seems to be the vision of his future role that Hatem himself wants to insist on.

The first problem is that the level of club that he's playing for can't afford to have a player in that position in a highly competitive league. The second problem is whether he's actually good enough - not so much in terms of his skill, but in terms of work rate and footballing intelligence. The number 10s that we've had - Bellamy and Beardsley spring to mind - have worked their socks off and were also not averse to tracking back.

I guess if he was better in those areas, he'd be playing for Real or Barca - but he's not earned the right to play at that level.

It looks to me like he'll end up as a big fish in a small pond, playing outside the top leagues in Turkey or the like.

It will be very interesting to see where Ben Arfa goes on loan to next. It will be even more interesting to see where he goes in the Summer when he is a free transfer. His stock will have fallen as he hasn't been playing much for the last year. He'll need to impress in his next loan to get a decent deal in the Summer. Which club and manager in which league will sign him?

Guest firetotheworks

Can't believe Ben Arfa only has 13 goals in 76 league games, for an attacking midfielder its hardly amazing tbh

Shame Ben Arfa doesn't have the drive and determination to improve throughout his career when you look at other players around his age and where he could have been

Fwiw that's inaccurate. It's actually 13 goals in 48 starts with 11 assists. Which for an attacking midfielder is a ratio about on par with Juan Mata and substantially better than every other NUFC player. :thup:

It will be very interesting to see where Ben Arfa goes on loan to next. It will be even more interesting to see where he goes in the Summer when he is a free transfer. His stock will have fallen as he hasn't been playing much for the last year. He'll need to impress in his next loan to get a decent deal in the Summer. Which club and manager in which league will sign him?

I've used the Robert to Pompey/Benfica comparison before, but I could see a fairly big club from the second tier leagues (Portugal, Turkey, etc) who are still in Europe take a punt on him since he'll be eligible.

I've used the Robert to Pompey/Benfica comparison before, but I could see a fairly big club from the second tier leagues (Portugal, Turkey, etc) who are still in Europe take a punt on him since he'll be eligible.

I can see Demba influencing Besiktas into making a move for him.

I agree with Parky, if Hatem was playing Sunday league I'd rather watch that than most of what the PL offers.

Amazing this is still going on really: he's incredibly talented, undoubtedly has attitude problems, but has spent the last 3-4 years up against Pardew (and now Bruce). Nothing else needs saying really.

I hope Martinez takes a punt on him, I wouldn't like to see him at Everton but I'd like to see the lad succeed and have the opportunity to rub it in the face of Pardew and Bruce. Cunts that they are.

Guest TruToon94

Bruce and Pardew are both shite managers. Somehow they both think that an attacking midfielder is responsible for the entire team and the defence.

Hatem should have gone to Besiktas and I believe he might still. Still a great player, just needs a decent manager.