Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

I was fortunate to see this man (god?) play a few times. Understand that this was in the age when footballs were heavy leather, boots were real boots not the slippers of today and centre halves kicked shit out of forwards for fun. He was, without any doubt in my mind, the most extraordinarily gifted footballer I have ever seen. to this day. He never got injured, never fell over, never got 'taken out' and always looked like the ball was glued to his laces. Amazing turn of speed, ability to run with the ball, turn on a sixpence, see a pass ans score some utterly divine goals. And fucking good looking too! What happened towards the end of his career was a travesty, but man, he left some great reminders of his ability.

I was fortunate to see this man (god?) play a few times. Understand that this was in the age when footballs were heavy leather, boots were real boots not the slippers of today and centre halves kicked shit out of forwards for fun. He was, without any doubt in my mind, the most extraordinarily gifted footballer I have ever seen. to this day. He never got injured, never fell over, never got 'taken out' and always looked like the ball was glued to his laces. Amazing turn of speed, ability to run with the ball, turn on a sixpence, see a pass ans score some utterly divine goals. And fucking good looking too! What happened towards the end of his career was a travesty, but man, he left some great reminders of his ability.

High praise indeed for Hatem.

got a bit excited in '82 as there were rumours of him being asked to come out of retirement to play in the Spain world cup. came to nowt unfortunately.

That bald centre-back man. Didn't want to know :lol:

:lol: on the highlight vid he's having some convo with that dude, defo rinsing him

:lol: I don't speak a lick of french but he's def saying "Oh yeah? Yeah? Aiight!"

When are we going to lock this thread, btw. Torture.

Best debut of all time? Easy! SuperMac against Liverpool. The best ever, by a country mile.

As I said earlier Supermac or Mickey Quinn nothing compares

The best bit about SuperMacs debut was him coming off after scoring the first two to have two front teeth out, then coming back on to get his hat trick. Instant hero. Forever.

I'd forgotten all about that, the teeth. The photographs of him grinning in the weeks that followed. :lol:

----------------------------------

As we're we back in time there, and as this is the Ben Arfa thread I was watching

the other day and saw shades of Ben Arfa in some of those runs, the balance and keeping his feet when knocked, the swerves and turns..

Yeah, that was unreal. Amazing skill.

It's fantastic to watch, he was an unbelievable talent but........the standard of defending in that video was laughable at times.

• 3 weeks later...