Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

One of my favourite ever NUFC games that, just absolutely clinical. Cisse will forever be one of the biggest enigmas I've ever seen watching us. HBA we always knew was a head case and blew hot & cold. He was legitimately one of the best centre forwards in the world for just 6 months though. :lol: 

Edited by Anderson

57 minutes ago, TBG said:

Can't help watching clips of Ben Arfa and think, what's he doing so far up the pitch when he should be tracking back and defending.

gonna see if this can get me some karma cheers 

13 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Someone said Gary Neville was more talented than HBA in another thread. Can you imagine?

Just compare their stats.

Neville is such a better defender.

Ben Arfa is like Gazza(just not as good).   There is something “broke”/different in his brain that gives him his genius.  But it also affects him in other ways.  Which ultimately stopped him reaching his full potential. 

On gazza I watched a program years ago that described him as a child.  He would near literally have a ball at his feet all day. Walking to school.  Walking home.  Then he’d be obsessed playing, practicing.  it was his life.  It could pretty much be described as a mental illness his obsession.  It’s what made him great and stopped him being an all time great. 

We like to beat pardew up about it but I think there was far more behind the scenes that justified his treatment of Ben Arfa to a degree.  

Edited by KetsbaiaIsBald

37 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

Ben Arfa is like Gazza(just not as good).   There is something “broke”/different in his brain that gives him his genius.  But it also affects him in other ways.  Which ultimately stopped him reaching his full potential. 

On gazza I watched a program years ago that described him as a child.  He would near literally have a ball at his feet all day. Walking to school.  Walking home.  Then he’d be obsessed playing, practicing.  it was his life.  It could pretty much be described as a mental illness his obsession.  It’s what made him great and stopped him being an all time great. 

We like to beat pardew up about it but I think there was far more behind the scenes that justified his treatment of Ben Arfa to a degree.  

I think Rafa and Howe would end up pushing HBA out of the door, too.  That’s not to say Pardew is on equal footing, nor that he handled HBA well - but I agree with the Gazza comparison.  The fact that HBA ends up at NUFC at all - and stays for a few years - is sad testament to a wasted talent.  The lad was well known about and was a wunderkind - he should’ve been moving to Barcelona (or similar) instead of us.

HBA was a sublime footballer - but clearly, there was more wrong than him just being ‘Pardewed’

If only Keegan got Ben Arfa to manage - even for one season. It probably would have been like his season at Nice. 

If he got a creative tune out of Owen, who was a fading speed merchant who was losing his legs, imagine what he could have done with the natural talent of Ben Arfa. 

One of the reasons we love him so much is that he reminds us of NUFC of years gone by - huge huge potential and amazing when it's all working but for some reason we always press the self destruct button and capitulate horribly. Whether it's appointing Dalglish, Souness, McClaren & Bruce after Keegan, Robson, Pardew (fresh start) and Benitez or it's only signing Bowyer or Anita the summer after a good season, or its buying good players in theory who promise a lot but it doesn't work out (e.g. De Jong, Luque, Owen, Cabella, Thauvin etc)

21 hours ago, TBG said:

Can't help watching clips of Ben Arfa and think, what's he doing so far up the pitch when he should be tracking back and defending.

Yeah no wonder Dan Fucking Gosling and The Mekon were better choices than that lazy oik, fuck football being enjoyable.

Pardew, what a class act he wasn't.

The movement was everything in those goals, such fluid interchanging. Not unlike what Eddie is trying to implement now. At the moment though, Almiron/Wilson and ASM/Murphy don't have the ability Ba and Hatem had obviously.

But Isak's certainly does, so much to looked forward too.

Edited by Bimpy474

On 30/04/2014 at 22:35, Dave said:

That was the other thing. He actually felt at home here and wanted to stay despite being frozen out. His output was phenomenal in a struggling team. And then when he was forced out he was the iconic rebel, the symbol of the revolution, of hope. There's plenty of reasons for the love story. 

HBA fell out with multiple managers in his career. 

To only blame Pardew is incredibly short sighted.  

On 25/03/2023 at 19:19, gbandit said:

More talented? You can argue he’s a lot of things, more successful, more balanced, more reliable etc but more talented? Who was this charlatan? Can they be named and shamed?

TBG is one of them. 

On 25/03/2023 at 18:38, TBG said:

Just compare their stats.

Neville is such a better defender.

He’s talking stats I’m talking talent. 

On 25/03/2023 at 11:02, Anderson said:

One of my favourite ever NUFC games that, just absolutely clinical. Cisse will forever be one of the biggest enigmas I've ever seen watching us. HBA we always knew was a head case and blew hot & cold. He was legitimately one of the best centre forwards in the world for just 6 months though. :lol: 

Nearly all the 11/12 goals were all legitimately world class :lol: