Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

Give him any decent top flight professional's mindset / work ethic and he'd be a multiple league winner with a whole host of individual awards. 

Give him the mindset / work ethic of a Speed / Shearer and he'd be a Ballon D'or winner even in the age of Messi and Ronaldo. 
Give him the mindset of an Ibrahimovic or Ronaldo and he'd be vying for GOAT status with Messi. 

59 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I guess that year at Nice was probably the best of his career? 

He was doing unbelievable things seemingly week in week out, though I confess a lot of the things I saw were clips like the above, can't speak to how he was performing over 90 minutes. Don't really care either, he's a fucking magician and I love him

2 hours ago, kingxlnc said:

Give him any decent top flight professional's mindset / work ethic and he'd be a multiple league winner with a whole host of individual awards. 

Give him the mindset / work ethic of a Speed / Shearer and he'd be a Ballon D'or winner even in the age of Messi and Ronaldo. 
Give him the mindset of an Ibrahimovic or Ronaldo and he'd be vying for GOAT status with Messi. 

Totally agree!

It's harsh to say he wasted his career but he should have done a hell of a lot more with his talent!

4 hours ago, St1pe said:

Artwork. 

Look at that man,he could do anything he wanted. It's always puzzled me when people sneer at the opinion he could have gone to the very top,if he'd just had the application

7 hours ago, kingxlnc said:

Ben Arfa is my generations Tony Green. All I've heard is how good he was without never seeing him play. In the 2043 version of N-O we'll be saying oh Ben Arfa was one of the naturally talented players NUFC ever had to incredulous youngsters who having been spoiled by over a decade of success can't believe anyone from the 'poor' years could ever have that title

By all (my dad and pretty much anyone over the age of 60) accounts, Green would have probably been a contender for all-time greatest player if he hadn't had to retire because of injury. He always winds up in the top 10 lists even with it. Ben Arfa was more a mental thing for me, but if he didn't have that in him he'd not have played for us in the first place.

Would Ben Arfa be more 'Jinky' Jimmy Smith? 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

I was at that Everton game, that shot was the hardest hit shot from distance with little back lift or effort that I’ve seen. It absolutely flew in, I don’t think anyone there could quite believe it.

Everything about Hatem was great. The way he rocked up at the airport unannounced without permission. His debut against Everton. Often wonder what we could have done that season had Hughton not been sacked and Hatem stayed fit.

7 hours ago, Holloway said:

Look at that man,he could do anything he wanted. It's always puzzled me when people sneer at the opinion he could have gone to the very top,if he'd just had the application

The fucking skill he had, man. Incredible.

Got dealt a shitty hand with the absolute fucking dinosaur managers he had over here.

37 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

Everything about Hatem was great. The way he rocked up at the airport unannounced without permission. His debut against Everton. Often wonder what we could have done that season had Hughton not been sacked and Hatem stayed fit.

He was genuinly looking unplayable. Rapid as fuck with and without the ball. 

The most skillful player I have ever seen play for us. The first time I saw Bruno play in the flesh was this season at home to Brentford. I just remember being in awe of him. Last time I felt like that was watching Ben Arfa. The Bolton goal still fills me with unbridled joy.

Ben Arfa is a flawed genius of a footballer.

He's one of those talents that comes along every so often who require careful man management to ensure his skills benefit the team but also his mental well being is not disrupted by overworking him to training methods employed for the less genius members of the squad, if you get my meaning.

Basically Ben Arfa was a crowd pleaser and could've been up there with the best of the best if injuries and attitude and man management were more on point.

I suppose you could say catering to his whim at times to ensure you got that genius from him.

I loved his skills at Newcastle. At times he could frustrate but then again his genius more than made up for it. It's just a shame injury robbed us of more of his game.

Imagine having a fired up Ben Arfa of that time as a part of this set up, assuming he could work under Eddie Howe's training standards, because as some players once said of his time, he looked like he trained at 50% against their 100%  because he made it look so easy.

Definitely well up there as one of the most exciting players I've seen for Newcastle.

Unfortunately his time has passed at the top but great memories.