Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

HBA fell out with multiple managers in his career. 

To only blame Pardew is incredibly short sighted.  

TBG is one of them. 

He’s talking stats I’m talking talent. 

:lol:

• 2 months later...

Would love to know how he looks back on his career and especially his time at Newcastle. He gave us huge entertainment and joy, would be nice if he felt positively about his time here and about how he was received 

• 5 months later...

Weirdly he always kept himself pretty fit, despite outwardly not giving a shit.

Hopefully someone sits down with him one day and really gets some answers. I can’t imagine being that good at football and doing so little with it, but I do understand not being competitive and not fitting in with football culture. 

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Hopefully someone sits down with him one day and really gets some answers. I can’t imagine being that good at football and doing so little with it, but I do understand not being competitive and not fitting in with football culture. 

Not like he’s won nowt though…he’s won more trophies than most players. Obviously that might have been more, but maybe he just played football to enjoy it. I sort of get that vibe, life maybe wasn’t all about the relentless pursuit of winning but more to do with expressing himself through the joy of football.

9 minutes ago, Mike said:

36 isn't that old...

With the amount of time off he's had he's practically 30 years old and in his prime in footballing years.

Could be an extra body for a team competing on multiple fronts..

A prime HBA with the right mentality consistently would have been THE perfect player for our right hand side. The thought of it makes me drool even though it's just imaginary. 

Natural talent he had is just second to none. One of my favs ever.

Edited by Ikon

14 minutes ago, wormy said:

With the amount of time off he's had he's practically 30 years old and in his prime in footballing years.

Right? He's essentially 30 years old, would only need him to play 30 mins a game...

14 minutes ago, Ikon said:

A prime HBA with the right mentality consistently would have been THE perfect player for our right hand side. The thought of it makes me drool even though it's just imaginary. 

Natural talent he had is just second to none. One of my favs ever.

He would never fit in this team mind , imagine asking him to press like we do , he just wouldn't do it .

4 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

He would never fit in this team mind , imagine asking him to press like we do , he just wouldn't do it .

That's why i said with the right mentality. Even then, if we wanna evolve and become one of europes best we can't just have 11 pressing physical monsters. 

We will have to change slightly and get top top technical quality in to get to the next level. Obviously there are technical players with decent pressing ability.

Imo there will have to be a slight compromise between physicality and technical ability to get to the absolute highest level.

1 hour ago, wormy said:

Very surprised he hasn’t ended up in Saudi like. Seems perfect for him. 

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

He had a good career all things considered.

Almost 500 professional appearances at the highest level.

Represented France.

Won Ligue 1 a number of times with different clubs. As well as a bunch of cups.

He didn't go on to become a giant of the European game like Karim Benzema and he definitely had the ability too. But he did have a good career. He gets lumped in with the likes of Taarabt but HBA's career is a level above.

Oh yeah, he did decently well, he just had the ability to be a multiple champions league and ballon d'or winner (probably).

He won't go down as one of the best players of all time, which he should have. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo