Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

Maybe (similar to a lot of our other players), his struggle for consistent form was due to the fact that he was constantly rotated in and out of the side. We played 46 league games and he only started 24 of them.

His best stuff was at the end of the season, when he was picked on a regular basis.

Not really sure he had a "poor season" when he finished our 3rd highest goalscorer, only behind Gayle and Ritchie. A few poor games, aye, but a poor season?

It's because we know how talented he is, and how good he can be. Very happy to see him finding some form at the end of this season :thup:

But, aye, poor season might be going too far. If his form didn't pick up then yeah maybe.

• 2 months later...

I like Perez a lot. He's an unorthodox type of forward, the thing he's missing more than anything is pace but if he had that he'd likely be less good with the ball coming at him awkwardly when he's static and he wouldn't be at Newcastle tbf.

He's a clever finisher and though he can be bullied out of games he's definitely worth persevering with and one of our better players imo.

I like Perez a lot. He's an unorthodox type of forward, the thing he's missing more than anything is pace but if he had that he'd likely be less good with the ball coming at him awkwardly when he's static and he wouldn't be at Newcastle tbf.

He's a clever finisher and though he can be bullied out of games he's definitely worth persevering with and one of our better players imo.

Played up front on his own a few times in the prem and done well (amazing that movement andfinishing can make up for brute strength) and as much as I don't think that would be ideal for him I think he'll do better in the prem than the champ (performanced wise he already did)

He's one of those between two stools players though, not enough of a finisher to be a no 9 not enough of a creator to be a no 10. Sounds like he was very good against Hellas, would be nice if that carried through maybe he can find a more lethal edge to his game and nail down that position even if it doesn't quite fit. Definitely think if he could learn to shoot a bit less predictably (think, may be wrong, too many of his shots are reasonably tame more than being off target or out) and toughen up. Big ifs now as he was pretty rubbish for too much of last season.

Guest Howaythetoon

For no know reason I have a funny feeling he will step up this season and become a key player for us. I just have that hunch that for some reason out of all our players he is the one that can step it up and considerably so over his Championship campaign.

For no know reason I have a funny feeling he will step up this season and become a key player for us. I just have that hunch that for some reason out of all our players he is the one that can step it up and considerably so over his Championship campaign.

Will probably help that we'll have to play him in his proper position as a central forward rather than trying to make a number 10 out of him.

• 2 weeks later...