Crystal Palace manager

Mick

I still think he will be gone by the weekend he looked wrecked last night and I think we all know if he was offered a deal to go you wouldnt see him for dust

You'd see flames off the back of his shoes he'd be gone so quick.  Every interview now there's a subtext of behind his "I won't quit I'm a professional football manager."  Basically he's implying "Pay me off, because I'll ride this till I get my money."

Definitely!  He looks like someone who will be the world's most relieved man when he eventually gets sacked.  He looked to be in more pieces than a box of broken biscuits last night.

I can't believe he's seeing this through really.  I feel like his family and friends would have stepped in and mentioned that he already has money and this can't be good for his health.  It can't be good for anyone physically or mentally to go through this.  It really is a bit of a car crash how the situation has got this far.

He also keeps mentioning that he has a contract in interviews which always sounds as if he is reminding Ashley that he won't walk and so will have to be sacked.

I still think he will be gone by the weekend he looked wrecked last night and I think we all know if he was offered a deal to go you wouldnt see him for dust

You'd see flames off the back of his shoes he'd be gone so quick.  Every interview now there's a subtext of behind his "I won't quit I'm a professional football manager."  Basically he's implying "Pay me off, because I'll ride this till I get my money."

He also keeps mentioning that he has a contract in interviews which always sounds as if he is reminding Ashley that he won't walk and so will have to be sacked.

Definitely!  He looks like someone who will be the world's most relieved man when he eventually gets sacked.  He looked to be in more pieces than a box of broken biscuits last night.

I can't believe he's seeing this through really.  I feel like his family and friends would have stepped in and mentioned that he already has money and this can't be good for his health.  It can't be good for anyone physically or mentally to go through this.  It really is a bit of a car crash how the situation has got this far.

Made a bit of a cock up with the quote tags on the post before.

"Alan Pardew will NOT be sacked..."

:jones:

"...no matter what the result against Swansea...."

http://photo1.ask.fm/262/504/978/1940003025-1s2gma9-htqqj4rgidcrbfp/original/05BRRawXTGo.jpg

:pardsgrin:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/martin-hardy-mike-ashley-must-act-now-and-end-the-alan-pardew-reign-9765825.html

Martin Hardy: Mike Ashley must act now and end the Alan Pardew reign

COMMENT: This situation cannot go on any longer. Enough is enough

MARTIN HARDY  Tuesday 30 September 2014

“He loves football but he sometimes can’t understand how it works and it confuses and upsets him, and when he is upset he does things that aren’t brilliant for the football club.”

These are the words of the Newcastle United manager, Alan Pardew, talking about the club’s owner, Mike Ashley, in October last year on the Goals on Sunday programme. They now feel more relevant than ever.

Ashley fumed at the indiscretion back then, but the nature of Newcastle means that Pardew’s point was not addressed. A year later, there is a new, all-engulfing crisis and while Rome burns, Ashley stands defiant. Even his greatest supporter cannot argue that the current situation is brilliant for the football club.

There is an isolation to clubs in the North-east. Newcastle has one football team. Sunderland, 13 miles away, has one football team. Middlesbrough, another 20 miles further south, has one football team, and the sense of remoteness and uniqueness – the next nearest big league side is Leeds United – adds to the significance inside each community. The football club is a symbol of regional pride. With that in mind, this situation cannot go on any longer. Enough is enough. Mike Ashley looks on during the game between Stoke City and Newcastle Mike Ashley looks on during the game between Stoke City and Newcastle

There have been damaging periods in the seven years that Ashley has been in control at St James’ Park. This new one, however, has left heads being scratched everywhere. Newcastle’s players have forgotten how to play for Pardew. Their record is one win in 14 Premier League games – none this season. Red Adair would usually be expecting a call in such a situation.

There have been admirable shows of support towards the manager from Ashley in the near four years Pardew has been in charge. Ashley was gung-ho on his entrance into football in 2007. Sam Allardyce was sacked after a draw at Stoke and Harry Redknapp had agreed to take his place, only to change his mind and Kevin Keegan came in. Along with the decision to appoint Alan Shearer for the final games of the 2008-09 season, they have been the last two populist calls made by Ashley.

There is a danger here that, as Pardew suggested, the current policy is a bloody-minded approach to defy public opinion. In that, Ashley denies the brilliant instinct that has made his Sports Direct company such a huge and successful business. Within 72 hours of the Tesco profit error last week, Ashley and Sports Direct had agreed a £43m “bet” (a put-option agreement) to buy shares in Tesco through Goldman Sachs (essentially meaning that Ashley believes the share price will rise). There is instinct in retail and there is inertia in football. Tyneside is incandescent as a result.

It has, in all truth, not helped Pardew, who will be stained by this run for the rest of his career, wherever that may be.

What has caused such consternation is the lack of desire at least to identify that there is a problem. Newcastle’s bad run started when they sold Yohan Cabaye in January and did not replace him. Everything revolved around the playmaker and loan striker Loïc Rémy. But since Pardew’s headbutt on David Meyler at Hull in March they have won just twice. From a possible 48 points they have mustered nine. They have scored 11 goals in 16 Premier League games and have failed to score on 10 occasions. Newcastle’s players are no longer hearing Pardew’s message. Surely this is apparent.

The only belief now inside the boardroom must be that there are worse sides than Newcastle and that at some point the club’s fortunes will turn. Pardew looks likely to remain in charge at Swansea on Saturday. The international break comes next and then they face Leicester at home.

There must be dignity. Ashley and Pardew should be discussing a parting of the ways this week. The current situation is crushing him and will be remembered for years.

Newcastle have had good times under Pardew. There was an unexpected push for the Champions League. It was only two years ago. They finished fifth, Pardew won awards, the club was back on the European stage. They signed just Vurnon Anita, who is still not a regular in a side second bottom of the Premier League. There was no appetite to kick on.

Now there must be a desire to hold on to the Premier League status that sees St James’ Park awash with Sports Direct logos. Change will now surely come – that it should be sooner rather than later looks beyond question.

I think the line in bold sums up where we are at present - anger and frustration that the club seemingly refuse to accept that we are sleepwalking our way into a relegation.

Imagine the mass hysteria of a crowd thinking the manager with the bottom of the league team isn't doing a very good job.  I don't know whether to admire the way Pardew has managed to con the media for so long about the fans expecting too much, or despise the stupidity of everyone who bought into his act for so long.

i wonder if the next international break is significant in this?  hadn't considered it before...lose a swansea and ashley can bin pardew and take his time bringing someone in before a home game which is very winnable indeed

credits him with levels of foresight and planning i very much doubt exists mind

flip side to the theory is if we somehow beat swansea :yao:

The worst thing is the total disconnect between people paid to talk about or write about football, and people who pay to watch it.

I've heard plenty of the former talking about Pardew and being full of sympathy for him, and hardly anyone taking the point of views of the paying punter.

As a supporter, that is the sort of utter frustration that others in the game (pundits, managers, players) can't possibly feel. I used to hear people frequently say what a good job McLeish was doing for us, for example, and it used to make me so f***ing angry, I'd just stop watching or listening to stuff about football.

They'll never, ever understand.

Totally agree Brummie, but this is not just a football phenomena - the media are totally removed from the average person in just about every aspect of modern life and especially so both in football and politics. Far too many idiots working in the media who have NEVER had a proper job apart from scribbling nonsense and its the same with politicians.

That's why everything is the way it is - the politicians/sportsmen are in a cosy cartel with the media and the rest of us are just the unwashed plebs as far as they are concerned.

At NUFC, Pardew seems to have a cosy relationship with much of the media and the club have SKY in their pockets.

Its not going to end well.....

I've just listened to Talksport having a go at him yet again. They're the only ones genuinely telling it like it is.

I wouldn't say that. The breakfast show yesterday was embarrassing listening as they tried to claim that where he was from was a big part of the reason for us wanting him out.

The press really don't look at his stats do they, thinking it's where he is from yet forgetting other cockneys we have embraced, blaming not having sufficient quality of players yet ignoring the fact he endorsed every one of them in the press.

They need to wake the fuck up and see that the last 2 years and start of this one he has played atrocious football, has forgotten how to win games and all players go backwards under him given enough time.

Let's just jump on the fucking stereotypical geordies hating cockneys, I mean don't get me wrong I don't have much affection for the south but that's mostly because of the way the north east is being starved of opportunity while all attention is placed on London and surrounding areas.

I've just listened to Talksport having a go at him yet again. They're the only ones genuinely telling it like it is.

I wouldn't say that. The breakfast show yesterday was embarrassing listening as they tried to claim that where he was from was a big part of the reason for us wanting him out.

The press really don't look at his stats do they, thinking it's where he is from yet forgetting other cockneys we have embraced, blaming not having sufficient quality of players yet ignoring the fact he endorsed every one of them in the press.

They need to wake the f*** up and see that the last 2 years and start of this one he has played atrocious football, has forgotten how to win games and all players go backwards under him given enough time.

Let's just jump on the f***ing stereotypical geordies hating cockneys, I mean don't get me wrong I don't have much affection for the south but that's mostly because of the way the north east is being starved of opportunity while all attention is placed on London and surrounding areas.

I actually do believe one of the issues is because of where they are from but not for the reasons portrayed in the media.

It is actually the reverse of what the media say.

I think because the people running the club are based in/from the South and refuse to engage in the city or the people here, it means that their decision-making is influenced by their prejudiced and ignorant views of the North East.  There has been no effort to develop an understanding of what the club means to the people.  Instead they encourage the image that we are all poor, stupid, ill-educated and rather insular.

It's like the politicians at Westminster who think they all know what is best for us without ever having visited the area.