Current players you think might make good managers

Tooj

I think Friedel's getting his coaching badges done while living the good life on Spurs bench. Been around the game forever and always seems very knowledgable when he does punditry.

Siem De Jong, in fact I wish he would start now.

Interesting, what makes you say so? (Siem de Jong being a good manager, I'm aware you could replace Carver with a monkey throwing poo at a tactics board and it would be an improvement)

Fairly basic reasons really, raised in Ajax, has great movement and game intelligence, seems a really smart and positive guy.

I think Friedel's getting his coaching badges done while living the good life on Spurs bench. Been around the game forever and always seems very knowledgable when he does punditry.

Stupid accent though. No chance I'd respect him as an unruly 17 year old on £1,800,000 a week.

Odd that everyone seems to equate deep lying playmaker as a good manager. I can't see there being so much of a pattern. I get the assumption about them being better at reading the game, but there's just so much more to it. I'm not sure I can even predict who would be good, without knowing how they interact with a group in social situations / at training.

Harry Kane is my best bet. Given everything he touches turns to gold.

Wasn't Don Carlo a deep lying midfielder? Rijkaard? Simeone while not a playmaker would be in that position. The smartest & dirtiest players play in that role.

Think CB / CM / #10 tend to make the best managers.

Odd that everyone seems to equate deep lying playmaker as a good manager. I can't see there being so much of a pattern. I get the assumption about them being better at reading the game, but there's just so much more to it. I'm not sure I can even predict who would be good, without knowing how they interact with a group in social situations / at training.

Harry Kane is my best bet. Given everything he touches turns to gold.

Wasn't Don Carlo a deep lying midfielder? Rijkaard? Simeone while not a playmaker would be in that position. The smartest & dirtiest players play in that role.

Think CB / CM / #10 tend to make the best managers.

:pardsgrin:

Carver was a #10. Not really a quintessential english attacking midfielder/forward, more like an artistic trequartista type. He just had this ability to slow down time, picking opponents apart with his mind. But don't get me wrong, that lad had pace to burn.

But incidentally, Ferguson was a forward, Klopp played everywhere but midfield, Pellegrini was a defender, Brendan the saviour was a defender, Frankie De B was a defender, Bielsa too. But then Conte was a midfielder, as was Garcia and Van Gaal.

Minimal correlation at best. Especially given that I'm sure there are more "midfielders" playing the game than any other position.

By consensus the best managers of recent times?

Ferguson

Wenger

Mourinho

Ancelotti

Guardiola

Simeone

Klopp

Benitez

Conte

Del Bosque

If we include Van Gaal, then Lippi, Cappello and co. must get a mention. Certainly I feel fullbacks and wingers are under represented as are GK's.

Carver was a #10. Not really a quintessential english attacking midfielder/forward, more like an artistic trequartista type. He just had this ability to slow down time, picking opponents apart with his mind. But don't get me wrong, that lad had pace to burn.

I actually lolled.

Of recent newcastle players I see potential in Kevin Nolan, maybe not beat of the best but j think he will go on to have a decent record and be a fairly popular British manager

Leadership and man management wise he would be very good, but I also think he is someone who as a player knows his weaknesses so plays to his strengths so he is very savvy in that sense and I think he would enjoy working with players to improve them.

On the negative side there is a worry about maybe because he is a route one player he is a route one manager, but not necessarily as mentioned before he knows his strengths so it benefits him personally to play for more direct sides and direct philosophy managers. But that may not translate into Him being a route one manager.

A lot of the names mentioned so far are top players, but sometimes such players can find it difficult to manage players that are worse than they were.

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/67/590x/183558573-466698.jpg

http://i1.walesonline.co.uk/incoming/article6200093.ece/alternates/s615/ashley-williams.jpg

http://e2.365dm.com/13/08/16-9/20/Mile-Jedinak-Crystal-Palace-preseason_2984776.jpg?20130809142501

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/01531/00kingofthehill_1531823a.jpg

Guest firetotheworks

Can't imagine many things worse than having Kevin Nolan as your manager.

Really? At least he'd be vocal. Imagine having Coloccini as your manager.