England

Yorkie

Just now, Dancing Brave said:

If Newcastle get beat I'm gutted and it takes me ages to get over it.

If England get beat I'm gutted and it takes me seconds to get over it. 

I'm the same.

I'm still wound up about Everton away [emoji38]

It is a very talented England generation - it’s worth remembering that its only a few years ago England won the u17 and u20 WCs and u19 Euros in quick succession - lots of the current England squad were in those set-ups.  So when people talk of Southgate squandering that opportunity, they do have a point - this is the most talented group in my lifetime; they’re all solid technically, more than the ‘superstars’ of the ‘golden generation’ etc.

Southgate is a conservative coach who’s only club management experience ended in complete failure.  He was far too defensive vs Italy after going 1-0 up.  But he seems like a decent bloke, and sacking him months before a WC is crackers (as were the FA for extending his contract past the WC mind).  Remember, if he wasn’t such a corrupt fucker the last two tournaments should’ve been Allardyce’s - and that con-man wouldn’t have got them near a semi or a final.

One thing this does prove is that England have little strength in depth.  I also don’t like Southgate’s little Englander tendencies in terms of treating the Nations League with contempt - that line-up was a pisstake. 

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree on that. We have young, hungry players bang in form in practically every position and enough variety on the squad to play however we want - defensive, controlling, attacking, different formations etc.

And yet, same formation, same style, same players every time.

I can’t think of another time we had this much depth in my lifetime, with the exception of up front. 

We’ve had better depth in every area of the pitch a few times, goalkeeper, central defence, midfield and especially up front. The only depth we have over other teams right now of the past is at full-back and I think most of our current lot are overrated because they are at the big clubs. Trippier is at NUFC and is arguably our best RB and probably better at LB than some of the others too. TAA is great on the ball, but defensively he is way off. Walker is the opposite. Good defensively, poor on the ball. I’m not sure Reece James is even a full-back.

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

He should absolutely get this tournament like. If we underperform then fine, but he’s earned it. I swear people have forgotten how toxic the job was previously. 

What would be underperforming? As we’re pretty much always guaranteed a bye into the KOs.

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

He should absolutely get this tournament like. If we underperform then fine, but he’s earned it. I swear people have forgotten how toxic the job was previously. 

I agree but the whole England setup has changed massively over the last decade too, to me Southgate is just a PR friendly nice guy and seriously lacking tactically (Same as Chris Hughton imo)

Just now, ManDoon said:

Is he not responsible for any of it then? It’s not a given that players just perform even if they are good. 

Not saying he isnt but you see what a good manager is made of when things start going wrong and he isnt showing anything atm

I think it’s fair to say that he was never picked because he was tactically brilliant. 

He was a professional and acceptable face to a complete rebrand of English football… turning it from a toxic and impossible job to a team of technically gifted young players. 

He hit on this conservative style because teams often win tournaments playing like that. 

Not sure what my main point is, but comparing him to top PL managers is not very useful. We all know he’s never been that guy. 

Just now, ManDoon said:

The thing is though, simply having the best players doesn’t mean anyone can manage them. Managers fuck up all the time with great groups of players, some of our previous England teams were insanely good. A peak Ashley Cole, peak John Terry, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney. And they were garbage. 

He also has to manage these young players, and they are young. 

I never thought the likes of Terry or Lampard were top rank international class players - what they lacked was covered up at club level by playing with outstanding footballers.  They were exposed at international level for their basic technical failings.  Christ, the whole ‘Lampard and Gerrard can’t play together’ thing was treated like a tactical conundrum ….

Calling for Southgate’s job is crackers to me - it’s hard to argue that he hasn’t done a decent job, and as you say the idea that anyone can just step in - not sure about that tbh.  

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think it’s fair to say that he was never picked because he was tactically brilliant. 

He was a professional and acceptable face to a complete rebrand of English football… turning it from a toxic and impossible job to a team of technically gifted young players. 

He hit on this conservative style because teams often win tournaments playing like that. 

Not sure what my main point is, but comparing him to top PL managers is not very useful. We all know he’s never been that guy. 

Well put 

He's a figurehead of a setup, like I said a few days ago he is like a cricket captain. Essentially a nice guy but most of the big decisions are (probably) out of his hands and those that hes responsible for hes getting wrong

13 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:
16 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

What would be underperforming? As we’re pretty much always guaranteed a bye into the KOs.

@ManDoon?

Must have missed this one too.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

Lampard was definitely international class and so was Terry. Hiddink and Mou absolutely loved both of them, I vehemently don’t like either of them as people but they were undeniably international class players.

Filled the ‘English quota’ for me.  Lampard was brilliant at one thing.  We’ll have to agree to disagree :)

Southgate is a fraud. He hasn't passed the eye test for ages but because you had a favourable run of opponents in the last two tournaments he's immune to any criticism to some. You constantly play for a 1-0 win and the margin for error becomes tiny. Hilarious that the main reason people want to keep him is that 'we are not a laughing stock anymore' with this squad of players. Also the 'there's no one better' and then you take a peek at Southgate's managerial career so far. It's too late for a change now but I don't see this team doing anything at the WC.

29 minutes ago, Sean said:

Whether you want him sacked or not (I really don't give a fuck either way as I don't care), it's undeniable he had easy runs to the SF/Final, which seems to be the main defence of him. 

I don't think there would be a rush of top clubs approaching him at all. 

Absolutely agree.

He'd be lucky to get a job at a mid table side and he  would be going above and beyond his capabilities to keep them there.

He's managed one club in Middlesbrough - another job he was promoted from within to do - and managed to get them relegated.

He's a PFM with a friendly face and a thinner wasteline.

Edited by toon25