England

Yorkie

Personally I've always felt that when it comes to international football, it intuitively doesn't make sense to hire a manager with the same nationality as the team they'll manage. Can't be arsed trying to explain in detail why I believe that, but in essence I guess it boils down to wanting the guy in charge of tactics and team selection to have a healthy emotional distance to the national pride that's at stake in every match to make the risk of them making a heat-of-the-moment decision driven by emotions instead of tactics.

2 hours ago, Pata said:

This is just nostalgia, many of those players wouldn’t be starters for the current team. Gallas, Evra, Abidal, Djorkaeff, Karembeu, Petit and Giroud were fine players in their day but nothing special and then saying there are 20-30 more is just ridiculous hyperbole.

Theo Hernandez, Saliba, Tchouameni, Maignan and Mbappe are world class, even Kounde. Griezmann is getting older but he’s had a great career. There’s also young talent like Camavinga, Zaire-Emery, Barcola waiting for their turn. Dembele, Kolo Muani and Thuram have rarely impressed in the national team but they are still playing for the biggest club sides in the world.

This is utter guff! Football has changed. It is more about running, stats, POMO, cynicism etc. All of the players mentioned from past eras are better technical footballers than anything in the current France national side. Modern players are fitter and capable of playing the game at higher intensity but that comes at a cost technically. They're also protected to a ridiculous level which means they're all soft as shit.

Mbappe is considered world class now because players in general are shitter, not because he's a generational talent - who exactly is he competing with to be world class? It's not Ronaldo, Messi, Zidane, Ibrahimovic, Totti, Van Persie, Henry, Iniesta level players. Nowhere near in fact!  And I'm not harking back to the 70s here, those are modern era players. Most of those players retired in the past 10 years.

Manager has to be English imo. Our problem of course is that we don't have that many good English managers.

The problem with going foreign is they will never 100% want England to win if they play their nation. Say it's the World Cup Final, Germany v England. There's no way Jurgen Klopp, competitiveness or not, is wanting to be the bloke that denies his country that. Not saying he'd throw the game per se, but even subconsciously it won't mean as much to him and there'll be a part of him that doesn't want to win.

All the other top nations, aside from 1 or 2, (Portugal and Brazil?) have only ever won a Euros or World Cup with a manager of their own nationality too so there's credence to my theory. Again though the problem lies with the lack of quality English managers. As much as it pains me from a club level, if I was a neutral I would be 1000% behind Howe getting the gig. 

Jorge Sampaoli is Argentinian and he coached Chile to a Copa America beating Argentina in the final. Managers want to win full stop.

If it does have to be English - Potter, he can at least coach. 

Edited by Astroblack

2 hours ago, NUFCDoog said:

Manager has to be English imo. Our problem of course is that we don't have that many good English managers.

The problem with going foreign is they will never 100% want England to win if they play their nation. Say it's the World Cup Final, Germany v England. There's no way Jurgen Klopp, competitiveness or not, is wanting to be the bloke that denies his country that. Not saying he'd throw the game per se, but even subconsciously it won't mean as much to him and there'll be a part of him that doesn't want to win.

All the other top nations, aside from 1 or 2, (Portugal and Brazil?) have only ever won a Euros or World Cup with a manager of their own nationality too so there's credence to my theory. Again though the problem lies with the lack of quality English managers. As much as it pains me from a club level, if I was a neutral I would be 1000% behind Howe getting the gig. 

Doesn’t seem to worry Howe when we play Everton.

Jack Charlton was a World Cup winner with England, but he was happy when his Irish team beat England.

I don’t think that there is much credence to your theory tbh.  England produces very few top managers relative to other leading football nations.  I don’t think nationality makes a blind bit of difference, and I don’t think sentiment comes much into players and managers ‘wanting’ to win or not

I'd give it to carsley, he was impressive in the u21s euros and plays decent football none of this everybody behind the ball malarkey. 

He will know about the prospects we have already like Wharton etc and he'd play them.