Newcastle United vs Southampton FC - 09/08/15 1.30 pm BST - Pre match thread

Nobody

Wish I could be optimistic but I really can't help but feel not much has changed in terms of overall strategy which makes anything NUFC hard to get excited about.

Nailed it.

How has nothing changed? there's a far superior backroom in place, we had John carver calling the shots for 6 months ffs. we've brought in three potentially very good players. de jong and aarons finally look to be fit. things aren't perfect by any means but f***ing hell, try to look on the bright side.

Your missing the point I think, we are still run for the benefit of Ashley and his companies. We've appointed a manager who has failed at such clubs as Derby and Nottingham forest and who will remain manager as long as we steer clear or relegation.

Yes the above is an improvement on Carver and Pardew but that's not saying much is it?

Ok, we've appointed a manager who has succeeded at Boro and twente. he has also come out and said he will try and win a trophy.

so, where do we go from here?

Any manager should/would say we should try to win a trophy.

Feel free to be optimistic but as far as I'm concerned it's business as usual with slightly more competence moving forwards.

Well yeah but we have been actively trying not to win a trophy and now we (apparently) are,

Wish I could be optimistic but I really can't help but feel not much has changed in terms of overall strategy which makes anything NUFC hard to get excited about.

Nailed it.

How has nothing changed? there's a far superior backroom in place, we had John carver calling the shots for 6 months ffs. we've brought in three potentially very good players. de jong and aarons finally look to be fit. things aren't perfect by any means but f***ing hell, try to look on the bright side.

Your missing the point I think, we are still run for the benefit of Ashley and his companies. We've appointed a manager who has failed at such clubs as Derby and Nottingham forest and who will remain manager as long as we steer clear or relegation.

Yes the above is an improvement on Carver and Pardew but that's not saying much is it?

Ok, we've appointed a manager who has succeeded at Boro and twente. he has also come out and said he will try and win a trophy.

Feel free to be optimistic but as far as I'm concerned it's business as usual with slightly more competence moving forwards.

but you said nothing has changed. Well we are now (apparently) trying to win a trophy, so there's a start.

yes, it's what every in should be doing anyway but it's one of the reasons I fell out of love with club. if they change that idea, then it's a positive move.

the rest of my point was avoided so I'll leave it at that.

I'm not going to sit here and be negative for negatives sake. ill call it how I see it.

Nailed it.

Well yeah but we have been actively trying not to win a trophy and now we (apparently) are,

Nailed it.

but you said nothing has changed. Well we are now (apparently) trying to win a trophy, so there's a start.

yes, it's what every in should be doing anyway but it's one of the reasons I fell out of love with club. if they change that idea, then it's a positive move.

I'm not going to sit here and be negative for negatives sake. ill call it how I see it.

Given the clubs history of telling fans lie I'll prefer to judge them based on actions not words and so far bolting the cart on has consisted of spending money on players which amounts to about the same as last summer (which pretty much everyone said at the time wasn't sufficient.

Hiring a second rate manager which no other premier league club would have gone near.

The key difference between this summer and last summer is that instead of spending smaller sums on more players, we've decided to spend more money on smaller quantity of players.

I'm not sure how the club acknowledging the fact they didn't try to win trophies previously and saying we are going to try now wins anyone over though? I'll be won over when I see sustained investment in the football club with us striving to be the best we possibly can.

Just don't see how we can use Mitrovic' strenghts with a line-up like that.

:thup:

Other than Aarrons we don't really have the players to suit him anyway to be fair.

I disagree. Sissoko may not put crosses in for headers but he can get past his man and get a decent ball in the box and hopefully with players like De Jong and Wijnaldum whose game is all about getting in the box, should provide more opportunities. Problems we've had in the past is playing a finisher who doesn't work defenders infront of a midfield that doesn't attack the box. A Silva or Hazard would've struggled to create in that set up.

Looking forward to it tbh. Think we have some exciting players like Wijnaldum, Mitrovic, hopefully Aarons and Ayoze and we seem to finally have a centre half that can run

I think we have some exciting players potentially if they are used properly, so there's that until McClaren proves he can't use them properly i'm positive :lol:

Will probably be pissed off 20 mins in tbh, also about Mitrovic and service i do agree that we need more width but at the same time i don't think it's absolutely necessary because he has the physique to make something out of the delivery we do provide which Cisse couldn't.

Nailed it.

Nailed it.

Given the clubs history of telling fans lie I'll prefer to judge them based on actions not words and so far bolting the cart on has consisted of spending money on players which amounts to about the same as last summer (which pretty much everyone said at the time wasn't sufficient.

Hiring a second rate manager which no other premier league club would have gone near.

The key difference between this summer and last summer is that instead of spending smaller sums on more players, we've decided to spend more money on smaller quantity of players.

I'm not sure how the club acknowledging the fact they didn't try to win trophies previously and saying we are going to try now wins anyone over though? I'll be won over when I see sustained investment in the football club with us striving to be the best we possibly can.

Well of course they'll be judged on actions, no one is arguing that. but to just sit and moan nothing's changed without actually thinking about what you're saying is a waste of everyone's time.

Nailed it.

Nailed it.

Well of course they'll be judged on actions, no one is arguing that. but to just sit and moan nothing's changed without actually thinking about what you're saying is a waste of everyone's time.

Not thought about what I'm saying? :lol:

Let's just agree to differ, you believe things have changed, i believe we are doing the bare minimum.

We have to give McClaren a chance. It might not be right from day one but hopefully see something there that we can work on.

We still need 2 more players but the new signings look decent to be fair and hopefully another centre half or winger is added.

I just want to see us try and play football and will try and have patience. McClaren seems more tolerable than that odious fuckpig

I hate Ashley and it would take years for my opinion of him to change. That doesn't stop me from being excited for Sunday. New manager who's an upgrade and a decent human being, new staff, a few new players (not enough admittedly) - I'm hopeful we're going to see much better football as the season progresses and better results too. Can't wait for it to get started.

I can see us losing, but not as badly as we would have done at the tail end of last season.

We'll be better than under Carver, and I think they'll be more weakened by the players they sold this time than last time.

Maybe 1-2.

I hate Ashley and it would take years for my opinion of him to change. That doesn't stop me from being excited for Sunday. New manager who's an upgrade and a decent human being, new staff, a few new players (not enough admittedly) - I'm hopeful we're going to see much better football as the season progresses and better results too. Can't wait for it to get started.

Really hope I'm going to be able to feel something other than the same grim apathy this season. Not feeling anything at the moment, maybe on Sunday. :undecided:

Think I'm somewhere in the middle. I'm looking forward to it I guess, but not nearly as much as I should be.

I'm feeling some feels, but more so do to the fact that Premier League is back in general I think. Not as apathetic I thought I'd be. That might very possibly change when the team sheet comes out on Sunday of course.

I'm intrigued to see how he new players do and how Aarons looks if he gets some proper game time. Also keen to see the general set up of the side under McClaren for the evidence of some good coaching.

Hasn't been enough signings (as yet) to address that defence in particular and there's been too much bollocks from Ashley over the years to ever feel truly optimistic. I'm looking forward to the start of the season in general but I wouldn't say I'm that excited.