Newcastle United v Aston Villa - 19/12/15 (5:30PM kick off - live on Sky Sports)

xLiaaamx

As much as the talk is quite negative, I don't mind him trying to keep the players grounded.  This is just the type of game we'll go and lose after beating Liverpool and Spurs.  The players suddenly relax and think they're great again, the effort drops and we fail badly.  That can't happen, so it's better to talk about the dangers of Villa, rather than talk about how we're on a different level to them, like Pardew did with Everton.

As much as the talk is quite negative, I don't mind him trying to keep the players grounded.  This is just the type of game we'll go and lose after beating Liverpool and Spurs.  The players suddenly relax and think they're great again, the effort drops and we fail badly.  That can't happen, so it's better to talk about the dangers of Villa, rather than talk about how we're on a different level to them, like Pardew did with Everton.

Agreed.

He literally finds it impossible to be positive before a game. always got to keep it gloomy.

even the top managers play their chances down with a 'there are no easy games' type speech so I think you're being a bit

harsh. I'd rather he did that than say we've just got to turn up.

Tbf people are in the mindset of hating Pardew for the same trait, difficult team/difficult place to go. However the difference being Pardew was incessant with it, every game, every week and when you do that the words lose their power and the players think you have no faith on them. I don't see anything wrong in this instance because, as has been said, we need to stay grounded after beating two very good sides in a good vein of form.

Tbf people are in the mindset of hating Pardew for the same trait, difficult team/difficult place to go. However the difference being Pardew was incessant with it, every game, every week and when you do that the words lose their power and the players think you have no faith on them. I don't see anything wrong in this instance because, as has been said, we need to stay grounded after beating two very good sides in a good vein of form.

:thup:

McClaren is right in that Villa look okay going forward. Their defending is poor.

It'll be a very different game from the last two, in that in all probability it'll be a matter of breaking their defence down rather than relying on counter-attack. For that reason, I'd want to use Mitro's power in the air.

Well, that's not the only reason. Cisse has looked a bit more committed recently but I still don't think he offers us enough.

I have a funny feeling Villa might just come at us tbh. They're desperate for results already and they'll see this as a winnable fixture compared to most. I certainly don't think they'll be here to get a point.

I have a funny feeling Villa might just come at us tbh. They're desperate for results already and they'll see this as a winnable fixture compared to most. I certainly don't think they'll be here to get a point.

Aye - can't see this being easy at all. They will see today as a chance to get a win.

Aye - can't see this being easy at all. They will see today as a chance to get a win.

It's not going to be as easy as some are making out, but I do think if Villa come at us we'll win. I suspect a 1 or 2 - 0 with them made to rue missed opportunities. They really are desperate...

That will be the best scenario for us because we're not able to break teams down. Let them attack and we will counter attack a win.

If we beat Villa we have turned a corner to make it 3 wins on the trot in god knows how long. But it would be so us and so typical of this shite season that we draw or lose it.

It's fine to play the game down in the media and to the players to a degree that we can't take it for granted, but we shouldn't expect anything less than a convincing win.

McClaren is right in that Villa look okay going forward. Their defending is poor.

It'll be a very different game from the last two, in that in all probability it'll be a matter of breaking their defence down rather than relying on counter-attack. For that reason, I'd want to use Mitro's power in the air.

Well, that's not the only reason. Cisse has looked a bit more committed recently but I still don't think he offers us enough.

So their issue is their defending is poor but our major issue will be breaking them down?

Everything checks out here, moving along.

Reminds me of when Pardew said QPR was 'a really difficult place to come' when they were bottom of the league, relegated, and possessing the worst home record in English football.

[emoji38] and it still took Bosingwa to throw the game on his own or we'd have lost

and relegated.

So their issue is their defending is poor but our major issue will be breaking them down?

Everything checks out here, moving along.

Yeah, please do.

If we beat Villa we have turned a corner to make it 3 wins on the trot in god knows how long. But it would be so us and so typical of this s**** season that we draw or lose it.

It's fine to play the game down in the media and to the players to a degree that we can't take it for granted, but we shouldn't expect anything less than a convincing win.

why? every game as we well know needs full effort to get any win, i never ever count on anything with us.

If we beat Villa we have turned a corner to make it 3 wins on the trot in god knows how long. But it would be so us and so typical of this s**** season that we draw or lose it.

why? every game as we well know needs full effort to get any win, i never ever count on anything with us.

Well given the team has just beaten two good sides back to back you have to mitigate for being over confident or taking your foot off the gas against a side that struggling. It's been noted a few times this season we've put in more effort against some of the better sides than we have the lesser ones.