Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

Yeah it was Schteve, same window we brought Townsend in.

For what its worth, Shelvey has been in his best form with us since Howe came in. I expect he’ll play his 3 games and it’ll trigger a 1 or 2 year extension, over which he’ll gradually be phased out of the team as we bring in another CM or two. 

2 hours ago, Nolberto Disco said:

Considering the position we are in now, Jonjo Shelvey should be nothing more than a mascot. 

Rafa brought Shelvey in, Eddie brought Bruno in.

He was given an extended contract under Ashley. 

Not one Premier League club would take Shelvey right now.  

I've never liked him, and never will. 

Eh? He'd walk straight back into our first 11 right now if he was fit. 

The Shelvey anchor role with Bruno and Joe either side is the best balanced our midfield has looked in this system. 

Long-term Bruno might take over that role but until we have someone who can play as an 8 who can assist and score like he does he's wasted there. 

7 hours ago, Tiresias said:

I'd by and large agree, we were better when Rafa dropped him, but he did very well under Howe, I had thought we shouldn't trust him but if Howe can get a consistent tune out of him would be happy for him to be back. We were after a midfielder in summer but didn't get one, I imagine we will be back in January for one so unfortunately for him he does have shelf life but if he comes back he is certainly an upgrade on Longstaff or Willock and i say this as someone who has been advocating for Shelvey to be phased out for some time. It's just if he can be consistent

Lack of consistency is a harsh accusation when he was consistently in form under Howe for the last 9 months which included 6 months of us playing to Top 4 form. 

12 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Not only have we missed him for what he brings, but we've missed him for what he allows Bruno to bring.

We've missed the ability to drop Willock.

Somebody somewhere asked how the hell Willocj ever managed to be a scorer and I just remembered it came not long after Willock had a little whinge about not starting. Think he needs a little encouragement again.

Willock's obviously the whipping boy on here like. I said it before but you're mad if you came out of that match singling out Willock as the problem, he was probably our best midfielder today. Bruno was off it and Joelinton put in the worst performance I've ever seen from him.

Saying all that, I do think Willock needs a rest considering how much he's played and Shelvey coming in also means pushing Bruno forward where he's more effective.

Edited by Kid Icarus

When this lad got sent off against Spurs last season and we’d just been taken over I couldn’t wait to get him out of the club. Completely changed my opinion on him since then, his attitude has been very good and he’s been one of our most consistent players since Howe came in. He’s not an amazing player due to his lack of athleticism and his dribbling quality, but his reading of the game and his passing is great and offers us something completely different from our other options 

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

When this lad got sent off against Spurs last season and we’d just been taken over I couldn’t wait to get him out of the club. Completely changed my opinion on him since then, his attitude has been very good and he’s been one of our most consistent players since Howe came in. He’s not an amazing player due to his lack of athleticism and his dribbling quality, but his reading of the game and his passing is great and offers us something completely different from our other options 

With the current squad he would release Bruno to a more advanced position. Can't see him being a first team regular though when (hopefully) we bring somebody in like Maddison in the next window. 

although he could have brought a bit of stability to yesterday that got a bit fragmented, I`m hardly yearning for his return. Seeing him gasping for a couple of metres as he's skipped by coupled by his miserable fucking bracket isn't getting me any kind of excited

On 17/09/2022 at 21:48, Kid Icarus said:

Willock's obviously the whipping boy on here like. I said it before but you're mad if you came out of that match singling out Willock as the problem, he was probably our best midfielder today. Bruno was off it and Joelinton put in the worst performance I've ever seen from him.

Saying all that, I do think Willock needs a rest considering how much he's played and Shelvey coming in also means pushing Bruno forward where he's more effective.

Thought Bruno played well as did Joelinton yesterday. Thought in general everyone played canny yesterday. Not too dissimilar to second half of last season. Only difference is we were on the right side of slender results then whereas this season we aren’t. Actual performances and effort aren’t too dissimilar. It’s a funny old game 🙂

52 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

So question time, who hypothetically would make way for Maddison if he were to arrive. You would think ASM, Wilson, Isak would be nailed down when at full strength.

So is it someone in midfield to go?

I would imagine it would be Willock

6 hours ago, gbandit said:

Still despise him but this ain’t far wrong.

1 hour ago, Dr Jinx said:

So question time, who hypothetically would make way for Maddison if he were to arrive. You would think ASM, Wilson, Isak would be nailed down when at full strength.

So is it someone in midfield to go?

It would be the Longstaff/Willock place.

25 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Big Joe showed yesterday why he’ll be the first one to go unfortunately. Absolutely love the bloke. 

Willock surely?

Joelinton should be in the team to be a ball winning midfielder who can impose himself on the midfield and free up his midfield partners and the wingers to create chances.

Because the current wingers in the team and Willock offer very little in the final third, Joe's limitations as a creative player are highlighted but that shouldn't be what we're asking him to do. He's a ball winner and a damn good one at that.

A midfield trio of Shelvey, Bruno and Maddison for example is pretty lightweight IMO.

Completely agree but I do wonder if Joelinton being a makeshift newly formed wrecking ball midfielder almost works against him to someone seeking the ideal going forward. He’s new to the position and sometimes it tells hugely sometimes it doesn’t.

I like Willock as he’s something a bit different and probably the only player aside from Wilson who actively seeks chances and makes the right runs but unless it’s counter attacking or we’re on top he’s quite redundant bar the odd interception aside from being mobile while every other option is horrifically one paced bar over 3-4 yards.

• 2 weeks later...

I always think it's a case of 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' when players are missing through injury.  I reckon every fanbase is guilty of it and players seem to often somehow get better when they're not playing.  But it seems like we have missed him a lot more than I thought we would.   

We're seeing more of the ball in a lot of games, yet not doing a lot with it.  We still seem a bit clueless and perhaps naïve when not playing on the counter.  Shelvey is a big upgrade on Longstaff, also probably on Willock against most opponents.  With him back in the team, it would mean Bruno could play further forward, as well.  Again, I thought he was fine as the deeper midfielder.  But seems a bit wasted there in games where we can't unlock teams sitting deep.   

I'm by no means his biggest fan.  I didn't even really buy into his supposed massive upturn in form when Howe came in.  It just looked like he put a bit more effort in and he got fitter, along with the rest of the squad.  But I am actually looking forward to him returning now and feel like he needs to soon'ish. 

Shelvey's not particularly good, but he plays a role in our team and allows Bruno to be a bit more free.

I still think we could have tried Longstaff in that role, but for whatever reason we haven't.

I actually think we saw Bruno's role as the deeper player, but we didn't appreciate how poor our attack would become.  

45 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I always think it's a case of 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' when players are missing through injury.  I reckon every fanbase is guilty of it and players seem to often somehow get better when they're not playing.  But it seems like we have missed him a lot more than I thought we would.   

We're seeing more of the ball in a lot of games, yet not doing a lot with it.  We still seem a bit clueless and perhaps naïve when not playing on the counter.  Shelvey is a big upgrade on Longstaff, also probably on Willock against most opponents.  With him back in the team, it would mean Bruno could play further forward, as well.  Again, I thought he was fine as the deeper midfielder.  But seems a bit wasted there in games where we can't unlock teams sitting deep.   

I'm by no means his biggest fan.  I didn't even really buy into his supposed massive upturn in form when Howe came in.  It just looked like he put a bit more effort in and he got fitter, along with the rest of the squad.  But I am actually looking forward to him returning now and feel like he needs to soon'ish. 

The lack of athleticism is still a big drawback to his game, but in his favour, he is actually one of our best players on the ball. It's not just his passing, it's also his ball retention, he has good control and isn't easy to dispossess. His tackling is still shit for a deep lying midfielder, but he's quite disciplined in positioning so he does shield the back four somewhat.

I'm going to put my tinhat on and say that I think Shelveys's defensive work in the past 12 months, especially since Howe has come in, is criminally underrated. Off the ball he's been very busy and putting a foot in. He's not Joelinton or Bruno at winning it back, but the harrying is all that's needed to not be a burden to the team when he's got those 2 working with him. 

Personally I'd like to see Joelinton sitting in front of the defence, his ball carrying and outlet passing is top rate. With Bruno and someone decent in front, this could work well. But without a good offensive midfielder next to Bruno, Shelvey at the 6 allows Bruno to play the 8 and this just plays to everybody's strengths and preferences.

Not sure about Shelvey in front of Joelinton though, Shelvey needs time on the ball, he usually has to look at and find his pass whilst in possession, unlike Bruno who knows where he's putting it before he receives it. 

I think the problem with Longstaff is that he doesn’t have a perfect position for the premier league. If he played in a slower league where he gets more time on the ball he’d be a decent centre midfielder. He’s shown that he can pick a pass and deliver nice short dinked balls but ultimately he isn’t strong enough, athletic enough or skilful enough to play CM in the premier league for a side that wants to be top half