Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm not too fussed about this, although I do think it makes our squad stronger, if only marginally.

What I do find strange though is how many people seem more concerned with Perez's career than with us staying up.

perez has scored 12 goals in the PL since he joined us less than 2 seasons ago, townsend has scored 5 his entire career at the top level so it sort of suggests that they're the same thing really

Can't both play in the same team though? Perez up top or behind Mitrovic? I just find it weird that the first response of so many is to bemoan Perez losing his place. We desperately need points, whatever works.

How can he play behind Mitrovic with both Shelvey and Wijnaldum in the team? face it at this point it's either/or.

Who says they both need to be in the team? We need to win matches, that's all that matters, not who's playing.

I must be in the minority in thinking this is a decent signing. We have undoubtly over paid but considering its January and we are in the bottom 3 we have little to no bargaining room.

I know a few Spurs fans and they don't have a bad word to say about him (the Spurs forums seem to back this up), so I'm not too sure where these attitude problem rumours have come from?

It seems like he burst onto the scene but hasn't really kicked on in the last 2 years, but how much game time has he actually had in this time? Given game time and reasonable guarantee of first team football he can grow in confidence and kick on.

People are saying what is the plan, I think it's pretty obvious to be honest. Premier League experience a side, I think Townsend and Shelvey will connect well. Townsend will stretch the opponents defence and look to get in behind, and Shelvey has the ability to find him. We will then have the likes of Mitrovic (it wouldn't surprise me if we bring in another striker) and Wijnaldrum getting into the box. Very similar to Sissoko on the right hand side.

Perez and Wijnaldrum whilst are far better players just aren't left wingers.

He's not a world beater by any means but he's a decent Premier league winger, still with potential and can definitely improve the squad. 

This is a good move, we are going to get a motivated (lets face it the main reason he wants to come is to make the England squad for the euros) who has the experience in this league and can get something we've lacked all season, goals. Above all else , seems like the manager choice and someone he'll pick as opposed to the previous options.

I must be in the minority in thinking this is a decent signing. We have undoubtly over paid but considering its January and we are in the bottom 3 we have little to no bargaining room.

I know a few Spurs fans and they don't have a bad word to say about him (the Spurs forums seem to back this up), so I'm not too sure where these attitude problem rumours have come from?

It seems like he burst onto the scene but hasn't really kicked on in the last 2 years, but how much game time has he actually had in this time? Given game time and reasonable guarantee of first team football he can grow in confidence and kick on.

People are saying what is the plan, I think it's pretty obvious to be honest. Premier League experience a side, I think Townsend and Shelvey will connect well. Townsend will stretch the opponents defence and look to get in behind, and Shelvey has the ability to find him. We will then have the likes of Mitrovic (it wouldn't surprise me if we bring in another striker) and Wijnaldrum getting into the box. Very similar to Sissoko on the right hand side.

He's not a world beater by any means but he's a decent Premier league winger, still with potential and can definitely improve the squad. 

Agree with this. For a bottom 3 club it's a damn good signing tbh.

This is a good move, we are going to get a motivated (lets face it the main reason he wants to come is to make the England squad for the euros) who has the experience in this league and can get something we've lacked all season, goals. Above all else , seems like the manager choice and someone he'll pick as opposed to the previous options.

but none of this is really correct though, maybe the experience bit but certainly not the goals :lol:

Agree really, I think he'll be better than people think.

but none of this is really correct though, maybe the experience bit but certainly not the goals :lol:

True for Tottenham, but good record for England 3 in 10 games, I'll take that for a left winger.

True for Tottenham, but good record for England 3 in 10 games, I'll take that for a left winger.

:lol: You not think his record playing in the Premier League for a Premier League club is a little more representative of his ability to play for Newcastle, a Premier League club in the Premier League?

Or are we lobbing that out of the window and just going with his 3 goals against San Marino, Montenegro and Italy (friendly) as a better sample?

I like the signing. JUst the fact he has pace and looks to run directly at people will open things up for us going forward.

From what he has said he will be playing on the left too, which will work really well, with Sissoko out on the right.

Finally we are going to have some more athleticism and pace in the side outside of Sissoko. Good stuff.

Wouldn't even get in my starting 11. Rather just spend money elsewhere but we seem dead set on wasting more money on trying to replace Ben Arfa. Suppose this is less of gamble than Cabella/Thauvin and we are getting an average Premier League player.