Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He's gone, wasn't at NUFC 5 minutes, we made a few bob on him and although he was one  of the few forwards who could run at people with the ball he was not a regular in the Spurs side.

He's a southerner, no roots or attachments in the NE so in my view its better he has gone - I trust Benitez to sign a player who will be at least, if not more, effective in the Championship so not worried....we are doing OK with transfers right now.

Andros, it is exactly for football reasons that you shouldnt go to Crystal Palace man....had it he Southampton or even West Brom it would be fine.

This is the truth of it. I'm sure TCD is right to an extent, to a footballer Palace will be more attractive atm because footballers are as thick as fuck and rarely seem to understand the game itself. However looking at it in football terms it's an awful decision to go and play at Palace in his position as he'll be covering full backs or rotting back on the bench once one of Pardew's runs of doom kick in.

He's going back to London and his agent will have been pushing him to leave. There was never much chance if him staying; I do agree that unless Palace were his only option that he could have chosen better.

It's shit that he went to Palace of all teams, but with Pardew as manager he's not going to push on with his career/performances.

As it happens I thought he was too selfish with the ball and didn't have enough talent to back it up, even in the game against Palace he lost the ball a dozen times because he wanted to cut inside and shoot instead of playing the pass. In the long run I don't see how Rafa would have been happy with a player who lost the ball as often as he did, he may have got away with it the Championship but assuming we get promoted again he would just be found out in the Premier League.

Not going to start slagging off his ability, did very well for us. Just think wanting to switch Benitez for Pardew speaks volumes for someone not quite thinking straight. Not like he's waited all window to see if any other premier league clubs were interested.

I think what annoys me the most about this is how he came across. He was going to stay, he loved the club, the fans were amazing etc. Just don't. Don't talk shit if you're going to jump at the first chance to leave. I would be less annoyed if he was going to a decent prem club which didn't have Alan Pardew as the helm and another four (or whatever) players that play in his position.

Really not bitter that he's gone, but he's a f***ing idiot for going to Crystal Palace under Pardew.

Not that bothered he's gone. But to suggest he's gone to Crystal Palace so Pardew can 'develop him' as a winger is fucking laughable.

Really not bitter that he's gone, but he's a f***ing idiot for going to Crystal Palace under Pardew.

Not that bothered he's gone. But to suggest he's gone to Crystal Palace so Pardew can 'develop him' as a winger is f***ing laughable.

Pardew developing a player is like how the west has developed the middle east over the last 100 years

Not that bothered he's gone. But to suggest he's gone to Crystal Palace so Pardew can 'develop him' as a winger is f***ing laughable.

Pardew developing a player is like how the west has developed the middle east over the last 100 years

:spit:

Guest Howaythetoon

I hope the cunt's career goes tits up.

The selfish, arrogant, stupid prick that he is. Whoever is advising him as well man :lol:

He could have ended up a legend here, seriously. He's no Nobby and never will be, but he is the kind of player who would score and create goals and be a mainstay of a side for a generation, especially under someone like Rafa. He'll not play under a better coach that's for sure or a bigger club.

Shame. He's obviously a good level above the Championship, so he was always going to be one of the most likely players to leave. Good luck to him. The fact he's gone to Palace is neither here nor there for me, but surely bigger clubs would have perhaps been interested? The thing I've never understood from a NUFC perspective is he was presumably signed to play left wing, yet I don't think he ever played there for us in the end.

He was good for us, but really don't get everyone's hype on him. He is nothing special, good left foot but so frustrating to watch. Of course he tried his all and seemed to care, but he really isn't Robert in his prime guys..

Sad to see him go obv

Yeah, I didn't think he was that great either. In fact, I was pretty scathing of him (and once or twice he forced words down my throat with important goals, but never mind). A decent player in a squad of shite, but little more.

13 games, made a profit, left us for The King, replaced on the same day by a player who might well be more fit for purpose. It's actually quite funny to me.

Even if Palace don't get relegated, he'll be lucky to get 15 starts in a season and will never wear the Three Lions again. Good choice, dickhead :thup:

Shame. He's obviously a good level above the Championship, so he was always going to be one of the most likely players to leave. Good luck to him. The fact he's gone to Palace is neither here nor there for me, but surely bigger clubs would have perhaps been interested? The thing I've never understood from a NUFC perspective is he was presumably signed to play left wing, yet I don't think he ever played there for us in the end.

When people don't care that one of our better players has been poached by the biggest single cunt ever to have stolen a living at this club that tells you a lot. Pardew and Townsend are both welcome to fuck off back to small town London mediocrity.

I think he's a cracking player, he'd have been an integral part of the rebuilding process under Rafa IMO, but I think Ritchie - although he lacks the pace and directness that Townsend has - is a more than adequate replacement.

Top and bottom of it is, short term playing in the PL is better and he'll get more money. Long term reality is Palace will probably drop next season and we'll pass them on the way up. Even if they don't get relegated we'll finish ahead of them in our first season back IMO and obviously we're the far bigger club. It's an absolutely desperate and stupid move by him, taking into account footballing reasons and not financial.

Let's be honest for a second, apart from Hatem (who did it twice) he's the first winger to get 4 goals in a Premier League season for us since 2006. That took him what, 11 games? :lol:

He's pretty much head and shoulders above the absolute crap we've watched out wide for a decade and he'll surely have a good PL career. You don't keep hold of players like that when you go down, unfortunately. Shame about the lack of loyalty but it serves us right.

He was a useful member of the team and one of the only players that deserves any kind of credit coming out of a relegation season, I guess that's why so many are pissed off. He's no worldy but a decent premiership player and we all know we've been starved of them for some time.

Saddened to see him go but not devastated, I trust Rafa knows what he's doing and I'm sure that in time we won't rue the loss of one decent player in a fully functional team.

I do think he's made a huge mistake, sure, he's back in London and in the premiership but we all know what Pardew will do to him.

Enjoy being the newest escape goat Townsend!

Always struggle to bear a grudge against individual players when they look for a move when that's probably already been established during negotiations to sign him in the first place. We tempt players to Newcastle on the understanding that we'll not stand in their way when another club comes in offering decent money. It's been one of our main selling points for a while now and can't really blame the players 100%, he tried his best and now he's been moved on, meh.

His main goal is obviously to become a regular in the England set up so it's fair enough him leaving IMO. Did well in general but don't rate him as highly as many seem to here

I think he's a cracking player, he'd have been an integral part of the rebuilding process under Rafa IMO, but I think Ritchie - although he lacks the pace and directness that Townsend has - is a more than adequate replacement.

Top and bottom of it is, short term playing in the PL is better and he'll get more money. Long term reality is Palace will probably drop next season and we'll pass them on the way up. Even if they don't get relegated we'll finish ahead of them in our first season back IMO and obviously we're the far bigger club. It's an absolutely desperate and stupid move by him, taking into account footballing reasons and not financial.

Townsend can be incredibly frustrating at times when he overdoes the dribbling and loses possession, but he has got two great feet, can cross and can shoot. He's a loss no doubt, but Ritchie has other strengths and will do well here. In the space of 12 months he'll be living the dream while Townsend is shuffling around in front of 20,000 at a ramshackle stadium.