Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Think he's OK and will do a decent job for us once he has a run of games.

Would have been nice to see what thauvin could have done if afforded the same luxury but his attitude was clearly never right and I think Townsend will take his chances better.

:thup:

Would have been nice to see what thauvin could have done if afforded the same luxury but his attitude was clearly never right and I think Townsend will take his chances better.

Perhaps we could invest some time in working out why his attitude is an issue, rather than just immediately shelving him.

Perhaps we could invest some time in working out why his attitude is an issue, rather than just immediately shelving him.

Especially when we knew his attitude was suspect when we signed him :lol:

Erik Lamela 23 years old - 85 apps for Spurs 14 goals

Townsend 24 years old -  86 apps for Spurs 10 goals

Obviously goals isn't the only way to measure things, but Lamela is hardly Messi with those stats. And neither is Townsend.

Why would you even present that as an argument?

Because it has more substance then 'I use my eyes'. And it shows in some respect that this supposed gulf between Lamela and Townsend just doesn't exist.

Where did you get the figures from Mozy? Had a look earlier and found one site which stated 63 premiership appearances, 12 of which were for QPR; and 5 goals, 2 of which were for QPR. Just looked more widely and found another which stated 61 premiership appearances (49 for Spurs, 28 of which were as a sub) and only three goals (presume they are the Spurs premiership ones). Not sure which figures are accurate, but 21 starts for Spurs and 12 for QPR is hardly ripping up trees over three and half seasons (79 possible games).

Really don't like this guys stats... Can't say I've ever paid attention to him but the last time he got a decent number of games, in 13/14, he played 25 games, had 56 shots, 1 goal and 0 assists. Seems like the worst bits of HBA*, optimistic shots from silly places, without the magic and my gay crush.

Normally I like just about any signing but can't say I'm into this one.

*my favorite player ever too, so you can stop pounding your keyboard

Has pace, can run with the ball and will actually shoot! We have very few players that actually meet these criteria.

Last year I saw him do things for England that most of our players can't do. He was doing this despite not playing regularly at Spurs.

Stick him on the left and have him provide some pace and delivery from there. I think this signing will be a good one.

We don't know how McClaren would have us line up, but if it is Shelvey alongside Colback and Townsend in place of Perez, we will have spent £24 million on making our team somehow even worse than it already was. We'd have been better off bringing in Saivet and sticking with a combination of him/Tiote/Anita, with Wijnaldum ahead, while signing a proper left back to make that side of the pitch usable. And again, that's not to mention the fact that we let Abeid and Ameobi go at the start of the season: I'd question to what degree Shelvey and Townsend are an improvement, which says nothing about their respective potentials or the money we seem ready to spend, which obviously reduces the chance of signings for other positions.

I think the Carr transfer regime has been more or less a failure, but I'd rather that than allowing McClaren to spend large sums on the fringes of a poor England squad. Townsend and Shelvey aren't proven Premier League players, and the argument that we need to buy British seems pretty hollow when you consider how many helped us towards relegation last time round.

Unless Sissoko is leaving you've got to assume that Townsend is going to be starting out of position on the left which is a good start.

Why is this it out of position? Sure he started out on the left when he first came through.

We don't know how McClaren would have us line up, but if it is Shelvey alongside Colback and Townsend in place of Perez, we will have spent £24 million on making our team somehow even worse than it already was. We'd have been better off bringing in Saivet and sticking with a combination of him/Tiote/Anita, with Wijnaldum ahead, while signing a proper left back to make that side of the pitch usable. And again, that's not to mention the fact that we let Abeid and Ameobi go at the start of the season: I'd question to what degree Shelvey and Townsend are an improvement, which says nothing about their respective potentials or the money we seem ready to spend, which obviously reduces the chance of signings for other positions.

I think the Carr transfer regime has been more or less a failure, but I'd rather that than allowing McClaren to spend large sums on the fringes of a poor England squad. Townsend and Shelvey aren't proven Premier League players, and the argument that we need to buy British seems pretty hollow when you consider how many helped us towards relegation last time round.

Disagree that those two won't improve us, Shelvey has to be better than Colback, and Perez however good he might be, is not a left winger. I'm not sure about Townsend, I can remember him looking good during his England spell, but those stats are not encouraging. I'm just hoping he doesn't turn out to be another one of those wide players with no end product.

Let's face it, if he didn't have a handful of England caps, Spurs would be flogging him to Fulham for £3m.

Yes, this is true. He has looked decent for England though, which is encouraging.

Think with a run of games he'd only improve too.

Both he and Sissoko out wide could really work well, particularly on the counter.

Erik Lamela 23 years old - 85 apps for Spurs 14 goals

Townsend 24 years old -  86 apps for Spurs 10 goals

Obviously goals isn't the only way to measure things, but Lamela is hardly Messi with those stats. And neither is Townsend.

Why would you even present that as an argument?

Because it has more substance then 'I use my eyes'. And it shows in some respect that this supposed gulf between Lamela and Townsend just doesn't exist.

Where did you get the figures from Mozy? Had a look earlier and found one site which stated 63 premiership appearances, 12 of which were for QPR; and 5 goals, 2 of which were for QPR. Just looked more widely and found another which stated 61 premiership appearances (49 for Spurs, 28 of which were as a sub) and only three goals (presume they are the Spurs premiership ones). Not sure which figures are accurate, but 21 starts for Spurs and 12 for QPR is hardly ripping up trees over three and half seasons (79 possible games).

Wikipedia so not the most reliable source, but I was using total appearances & goals (including cup games).

Using solely your argument he's over 40% better though :lol:

Lamela is also notorious for being s**** in front of goal where as Townsend's left foot is apparently a wand.

Eh? I think the opposite applies. Lamela got 20 goals in his last year in Italy. Scored a rabona goal too.

While Townsend has the shit Robben image

One of the biggest criticisms I've heard from him while over here was his composure in-front of goal. Thanks for informing me that he scored a rabona goal in Italy though, I didn't know that.