Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mbemba's been unlucky like. Had that stinker v Wolves and hasn't had a look in. I've personally been unconvinced by Lascelles this season. He's been an ok 6-7 out of 10 most games but I don't have the same faith as others in him. I'd like to see Clark & Mbemba for a run of games but Lascelles seems untouchable.

Agree with this, although I wouldn't be against Hanley getting a run of games alongside Clark if Mbemba does leave. Not quite sure what it is but Lascelles isn't a player I have full trust in and he's not been convincing for a while now.

I'm surprised lascelles has had so many detractors lately. It's the first time in as long as I can remember where we've had an actual working centre back partnership. Clark has been far better than the majority of us were expecting but Lascelles does the ugly stuff very well. He's also a vocal captain which seems so odd given the white flag wavers we've had as captain in recent seasons.

On topic I think it's a no brainer Mbemba for Townsend on loan. We've got ample cover at centre back and I can't see him getting a look in unless there's an injury crisis. I'm not sure how a deal like that could be done given he's away at the afcon though?

I'm surprised lascelles has had so many detractors lately. It's the first time in as long as I can remember where we've had an actual working centre back partnership. Clark has been far better than the majority of us were expecting but Lascelles does the ugly stuff very well. He's also a vocal captain which seems so odd given the white flag wavers we've had as captain in recent seasons.

On topic I think it's a no brainer Mbemba for Townsend on loan. We've got ample cover at centre back and I can't see him getting a look in unless there's an injury crisis. I'm not sure how a deal like that could be done given he's away at the afcon though?

:thup:

Lascelles, Clark, Hanley, Dummett, Gamez and Hayden is more than enough to cover at centre half for four month or whatever.

Well worth the risk to get Townsend back and ultimately secure our promotion. I like Mbemba, he's just not being used enough.

Sam would play him as a DM. I guarantee it.

This is my fear. And you just know he'd be awesome there, and we'll all be p*ssed off about it.

Sam has a history of this with both Abdoulaye Faye and Cheick Kouyate.

You do realise this daft post implies Sam Allardyce is far more astute than Rafa Benitez?

Hmmm ... I wouldn't say more astute. Just less adverse to putting players in positions they haven't necessarily featured much in previously. Don't think it's necessarily always a good thing either. He just tends to do it more. Even with Kirchoff last year, which worked out quite well, after he was tanking in central defence initially. The more cringe worthy examples of this kind of thing was him playing Samba upfront at times for aerial threat.

I'm not holding it against Rafa for not giving it a go. Hey, he prefers to play individuals in positions they have mostly played previously, and that makes perfect sense.

I just would hate to see Allardyce do it with Mbemba and have him shine in that position, only because I don't like to see fat Sam have success with anything. I want him to tank at everything, as that makes me very happy.

Agree with this fully.

Long as there's no obligations to buy, I'm happy to proceed with this. Makes sense for everyone

Especially if he has been following the ACON, which we know he has, because he's always looking for his next Samba, Kouyate, Kone, Abdoulaye Faye etc etc.

If we had an obligation to buy Townsend, but they had no obligation to buy Mbemba, then I'd consider it.

Problem is, if Clark or Lascelles gets injured we only have Hanley as cover. Then I suppose Dummett could also come in and we'd have Lazaar / Haidara.

But for me, Mbemba is the much better centre half.

If we had an obligation to buy Townsend, but they had no obligation to buy Mbemba, then I'd consider it.

Problem is, if Clark or Lascelles gets injured we only have Hanley as cover. Then I suppose Dummett could also come in and we'd have Lazaar / Haidara.

Dummett is much better as a CB than a LB imo. If we left ourselves short it is inevitable we'd have a defensive crisis. Happens virtually every season.

Do people really think Rafa rates Mbemba? He has no future at the club.

How's that?

He got dropped after a shocker against Wolves and since then Clark/Lascelles have been a solid partnership. Daft changing a CB partnership that is working for the moment. I've no doubt if Clark/Lascelles had a few terrible performances in a row, Mbemba would be back in.

Dummett is much better as a CB than a LB imo. If we left ourselves short it is inevitable we'd have a defensive crisis. Happens virtually every season.

Agree. Dummett isnt a left back at all for me, definitely a centre half. It seems to happen with centre backs and goalkeepers all the time with us.

Sam would play him as a DM. I guarantee it.

This is my fear. And you just know he'd be awesome there, and we'll all be pissed off about it.

Sam has a history of this with both Abdoulaye Faye and Cheick Kouyate.

Allardyce's expectations from a central midfielder are a lot different to Rafa's. Fat Sam basically just needs a physical tackler in there whereas Rafa would want a technically accomplished player in that position. I like Mbemba as a defender, but he's had enough bad games for me to understand why we would be prepared to let him go.