C*CK P*SS P*RDEW

themanupstairs

2 hours ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

While I agree with the view that he’s an arse, I’m going to suggest that  Lee,  McGarry, Dinnis and to an extent McFaul were worse at the job than him. 

Haven’t checked the records, but Carver, McLaren, Sounness, Bruce? 
(Really liked Iam/Willy McFaul, and Ardiles—and Charlton actually—but they probably had relatively worse records).

39 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Nee chance. He did a great job in that 11/12 season.

Nah. It was nothing to do with him. He was shit. We bought good players through Carr’s eye for a foreign bargain and they performed well together.

Pardew, the absolute fraud, just happened to be there. And made the odd left back substitution to look like he was doing something. 

Despite Pardew, not because of him. 

He was absolutely shit, we didn’t have xG in those days but Cisse’s actual goals against xG must have been +8. He had a brilliant squad of players and had us playing awful football and getting incredibly snide wins by a goal. Ben Arfa also got him out of a jail a few times despite the snake screwing him over in the long run 

He stumbled upon a good front 3, which got us to 5th, but then ripped it up the following year when Ba insisted on playing centrally and he just let him, and the results were never the same.

We also lucked out in loads of matches with moments of brilliance which is unsustainable long-term. As was again proven the following year.

It was despite him, not because of him.

2 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

How many of those 'brilliant' players went on to better things?

Simpson won the league at Leicester. Cabaye and Ba. Anyone else?

So what you're saying is we bought good players (mainly at the direction of Carr) then Pardew coached them for a few years, then they were never as good again?

That's your defence of the man? Ok.

Just now, The Butcher said:

No, you just made that up.

No, it's what happened. The verb "to be Pardewed" became common parlance throughout his tenure on here, as promising players all started to look shit after a few months of his 'coaching'.

Seems like I have to come onto this godforsaken thread every 6 months to trot this out. How many matches did you watch in 11/12 @The Butcher ? I'd be happy to discuss how you thought that Pardew's 1 and only tactic which was the long ball from our centre backs into the knees of Cissé and Ba, who for all their fantastic finishing abilities, had the first touches of paeodophilic girrafes in a children's circus. That Tiote and Cabaye were instructed to sit on the toes of our centre backs and were never available to contest the second ball. The tactic, if you can believe it, every game was to just give the ball to the opposition, sit back and hope they made a mistake that we could exploit. We had nothing on the ball whatsoever beyond individual brilliance from some brilliant (at the time) players - Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Cissé and Ba. Cissé had the best 4 months a footballer could possibly have, every shot he took went in, it was ridiculous (too many to cite, but the one vs Chelsea is my favourite).

12 hours ago, Lenny said:

If you are basing the season solely off the final league placement with absolutely no context whatsoever, then yes, he did a great job that season.

If I remember rightly, there was a six game period towards the end of the season, where we looked really good, where Ba, Cisse and Ben Arfa where scintillating, but the other 32 games where turgid and rank with dire football and fluky results, if we wanted to push on, sacking Pardew towards the end of that season would have been the correct thing to do. Instead he was the reason Ashley never wanted us to get into Europe ever again.

For what it's worth, that season was one of the most difficult seasons I've had supporting Newcastle in my 30 years I've been following the team. I could see with my own eyes how badly we were set up, how the players themselves were almost in disbelief that they were winning games in the way they did. Drogba's reaction to Cissé's goal said everything to me. I had to smile and nod around fellow fans who extolled the virtues of the great Alan Pardew. Then I had to come on here and read about how well we were doing, with Alan Pardew rebranded as 'Alain Depardieux' etc. I can't think of a good methaphor to compare it to, but it was almost like the honeymoon period in the Simpsons when Springfield gets the monorail. You just couldn't tell people it was down to luck and individual player ability, and not down to the manager. I remember standing in Turf Moor on a very cold weekday October/November night, and I couldn't even cheer when we scored. I'd said to my mate next to me, 'watch as we ping long balls all game and give it away, and then we're gonna fluke one', and then it happened. He turned to cheer with me and I was just there with my hands in my pockets, shaking my head. Then I watched Mehdi Abeid take about 9 shots from between the D and the half-way line. Great tactical instruction that, I mean at some point the keeper will drop it or it'll deflect off a defender for a corner, but he skied them all so never mind.

The following seasons it all inevitably unravelled, and I remember famously the day that one of Alan Pardew's most loyal supporters switched sides and saw the truth, the brave Ian W (don't know if he changed username I can't seem to @ him). I really enjoyed our debates and he ended up being the 1 man on a entire forum calling him crazy, and every day he still logged in and gave as good as he got :lol:

Also, only measuring a player's ability by how well he does at clubs after they've left is beyond insane. So because the following players didn't tear it up at their next club after leaving here, they mustn't have been very good when they were here?

Beardsley

Lee

Ferdinand

Batty

Albert

Barton

Ben Arfa

Robert

Woodgate