Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Rafa's got a project and he's loving every minute of it.

This, if he wanted away there would have been plenty of offers when we got relegated, he knows he's on to something here and he knows he's at a team that will idolise him. He's here for the same reason he stayed at Liverpool so long, he just gets it, it's not about the money, it's about everything else.

yeah, he's one of not many in the game with integrity and i couldn't see him caring about the money

he's here for the duration imo assuming this season goes to plan

Also:

Seven league clean sheets is not quite top of the stoppers: Brighton have eight. But add in the three league cup games and Newcastle have an impressive nine shut-outs this season.

sam-johnson.jpg?w=680

7 + 3 = 9

That picture gives me the giggles, every time :lol:

I quite like Douglas, always thought he seemed like one of the better NE journos.  But that article is absolutely horrendous.  Even the Joy Ryder wouldn't manage to make that many fuck ups, surely?  What does the editor at the Chronicle do, exactly?

I quite like Douglas, always thought he seemed like one of the better NE journos.  But that article is absolutely horrendous.  Even the Joy Ryder wouldn't manage to make that many fuck ups, surely?  What does the editor at the Chronicle do, exactly?

I think he was the first to go with the cutbacks.

Can just picture David Brent explaining his decision. "They're grown-ups, they shouldn't need someone to check their work. What kind of a job is checking other people's speliing anyway. No, we don't need an editor. Ridiculous.

Whether Rafa leaves any time soon is really down to what happens in the summer if we get promotion.

If he senses any withdrawal of the club's ambition at board level, there is little doubt in my mind that he will be off when the first decent offer comes in. He wants to make a success of whatever he chooses to do and that means being able to compete with clubs like Arsenal etc. I won't say Man C, Chelsea or Man U because those clubs will always have far greater resources than we will unless we too are taken over by unbelievably wealthy Arabs or Chinese but I don't think those clubs are his yardstick anyway. Arsenal WOULD be a draw unless we show we aim to compete with them in the transfer market.

As for England, he may be flattered but I cannot see him leaving for that job just yet and in any case, he will know what a poisoned chalice it really is...why would he want that when much of the NE is behind him at NUFC unless the job here becomes impossible or too difficult. In 5 years it may be a different matter but I hope he has made NUFC a successful club in silverware terms by then.

He is one of the world's top managers and we should be very grateful he is here but clubs and countries around the world will always want someone of that calibre when there are vacancies at management level....let us hope it doesn't happen any time soon.

We've just got to hope that hiring him/keeping him in place signifies the wider realisation - Ashley's realisation - that the club needs to be run with professionalism, ambition and investment at all levels of its infrastructure.

We've just got to hope that hiring him/keeping him in place signifies the wider realisation - Ashley's realisation - that the club needs to be run with professionalism, ambition and investment at all levels of its infrastructure.

as long as we get back to the cash cow of the PL i don't think ashley will care with rafa running it, main issue for me will be developing commercial income which ashley just doesn't seem to have any interest in for obvious reasons

Guest firetotheworks

It's mad how different it is having him as your manager compared to what your perception of him was as a manager elsewhere. Absolutely love the bloke.

It's mad how different it is having him as your manager compared to what your perception of him was as a manager elsewhere. Absolutely love the bloke.

Although I didn't love him I never understood why he was treated so badly at Chelsea and Madrid. Particularly when he was at Chelsea I thought he was likeable and the fans were way off. Not that I want to tell other fans what to think of their own cloob, but it did seem unfair.

Wonder if Ashley is realising now what he could have had here all along had he not been such a fucking stingy arsehole. Must be so much more fun being the owner of this club compared to the one that has been killing itself for the last half decade.

Truth be known the only thing we would have known about the man at the time was media fed and we all know how reliable that can be, reference the Pardew thread. We're all guilty of it, you only have to listen to the Liverpool supporters to know what kind of guy he's always been.

As far as Ashley goes, he's landed on his feet here with Rafa and he'll know it, I can't see him fucking this up, we all know he's capable of it but I think Rafa will have told him exactly what he needs to know and what he wants to hear. We've had the ability to be self sufficient for a while now, we've just not had the right man to lead us, now we have everything we need why change a winning formula? There's always that niggling fear in the back of my head because Ashley has pulled the rug out so many times before, this time does feel very different though.

I think I started respecting him immensely when he acted with such class and ability in the face of all that nonsense at Chelsea. Knew he was a wrong-fit at Real, mind. About a week before we hired him in March I was singing his praises on here so obviously my opinion of him now is through the fucking roof.

I think I started respecting him immensely when he acted with such class and ability in the face of all that nonsense at Chelsea.

I remember early doors there - maybe his first match - an away FA Cup match at a lower league team - sure it was on TV - he was ripped by the Chelsea fans as he walked to the tunnel which was right next to them at half time. 'Rafa out' banners as well all because of a few words he said when Liverpool manager. Five months later,  he won them the Europa League!

I think I started respecting him immensely when he acted with such class and ability in the face of all that nonsense at Chelsea. Knew he was a wrong-fit at Real, mind. About a week before we hired him in March I was signing his praises on here so obviously my opinion of him now is through the fucking roof.

:thup:

As much as I love the man, it was so blatantly obvious that he wasn't the right fit at Real Madrid.

Douglas is the NUFC editor. :lol:

I quite like Douglas, always thought he seemed like one of the better NE journos.  But that article is absolutely horrendous.  Even the Joy Ryder wouldn't manage to make that many f*** ups, surely?  What does the editor at the Chronicle do, exactly?

Douglas is the NUFC editor. :lol:

:lol:  That would explain it then!

Guest firetotheworks

Truth be known the only thing we would have known about the man at the time was media fed and we all know how reliable that can be, reference the Pardew thread. We're all guilty of it, you only have to listen to the Liverpool supporters to know what kind of guy he's always been.

As far as Ashley goes, he's landed on his feet here with Rafa and he'll know it, I can't see him fucking this up, we all know he's capable of it but I think Rafa will have told him exactly what he needs to know and what he wants to hear. We've had the ability to be self sufficient for a while now, we've just not had the right man to lead us, now we have everything we need why change a winning formula? There's always that niggling fear in the back of my head because Ashley has pulled the rug out so many times before, this time does feel very different though.

It wasn't the media stuff with me tbf, I just hated the way his Liverpool side played, particularly in the Champions League. I never thought that they really had any quality at that level, and got to finals through luck and pure huff and puff. Dirk Kuyt typified their style whenever I watched them and I couldn't stand him as a player.

When it's your team that's grafting its arse off it's a different story though, it's brilliant, and definitely not luck.

No way he's going to Arsenal like. Wenger to Rafa? Nee chance. I don't fear he'll jump ship to a more resourceful club if Ashley plays ball. For a typical top 6 side he's seen as yesterday's man even though his ability level is elite. Arsenal for example would gamble with a Koeman rather than go Rafa. Everton & co. will be sideways steps if we invest properly.

If Ashley messes him around he'll resign. That's our risk.

I'm genuinely convinced that Ashley and more importantly Charnely, know that they have hit absolute gold with Rafa. They must be wondering where their abuse has gone! The crowd on Tuesday night says everything!

I'm genuinely convinced that Ashley and more importantly Charnely, know that they have hit absolute gold with Rafa. They must be wondering where their abuse has gone! The crowd on Tuesday night says everything!

But Rafa will have demands. I can see everyone pulling in the right direction next season if we are promoted - we want to stay up comfortably. Cool. Then when Rafa will be thinking top 6 to 8 challenge, I don't know where Ashley will stand. That's a long time away and a lot will change between now and then.

It wasn't the media stuff with me tbf, I just hated the way his Liverpool side played, particularly in the Champions League. I never thought that they really had any quality at that level, and got to finals through luck and pure huff and puff. Dirk Kuyt typified their style whenever I watched them and I couldn't stand him as a player.

When it's your team that's grafting its arse off it's a different story though, it's brilliant, and definitely not luck.

totally agree with you, never had a good impression of how his teams played from his time with liverpool but now he's doing it with us it's a different ball game

For a typical top 6 side he's seen as yesterday's man even though his ability level is elite.

can you elaborate on this?  do you just mean because at the moment a number of the clubs have gone for younger coaches/managers such as poch, klopp, pep etc. and would therefore not look to benitez?

totally agree with you, never had a good impression of how his teams played from his time with liverpool but now he's doing it with us it's a different ball game

Same here. I disliked Liverpool immensely under Rafa, but at the same time I knew they were  really effective and well organised. I can see why he wouldn't last at Real Madrid where fans aren't happy with winning cups, they want entertainment and flamboyant football as well, and let's face it, if you can buy the best players in the world, why would you settle for less?

I think Newcastle on the other hand, need to go back to basics. We've won nothing for half a century and are now in the championship. We needed someone like Rafa just to get us doing the right things on and off the pitch. From John Carver to Rafa Benitez man. That puts it in perspective.