Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Guest Flanacan

What was that about?

Just the usual vile he gets from a lot of English fans.

Boring defensive coach who doesn't have a clue, fat Spanish waiter etc. Not good enough for them.

Wasn't just a minority thing either, bizzare but fuck em.  :idiot2:

What was that about?

Just the usual vile he gets from a lot of English fans.

Boring defensive coach who doesn't have a clue, fat Spanish waiter etc. Not good enough for them.

Wasn't just a minority thing either, bizzare but f*** em.  :idiot2:

Villa fans are classic morons like.

Thanks for your comments btw, also to the other scouse fan who has came on here.

Our first insight into how the players feel about this, it's from shelvey.

It’s obviously sad to see Steve go, because he brought me into the Club and I owe so much to him for bringing me to this great football club, but ultimately it didn’t work out for him here.

But we’ve been lucky to get Rafa, because he’s a great organiser of teams, and you hear things from ex-players about how great he is. It’s just an exciting time for the fans and the players to learn more about Rafa Benitez and the way that he wants us to play.

He must think a lot of the Club to come in and take over. He’s been at Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Napoli, Liverpool - he’s been at all these top clubs, and I think it speaks so highly of the stature of this Club for him to take on an opportunity like this.

You see the honours he’s won, and you don’t win those without knowing what you’re doing. He’s a top manager and everyone’s excited in the changing room. It’s like when you go to school for your first day - everyone’s trying to impress the manager, everyone’s in early and in the gym.

It’s exciting to work with someone who’s worked at the top clubs - he was at Real Madrid earlier this season, and that speaks highly of the calibre of the manager he is.

He’ll bring a new lease of life to Newcastle.

The players are excited, and everyone’s excited around the city.

That fills me with hope tbh, sounds like the players are relishing having a top manager in charge for the first time in years.

Guest Redcustard

Liverpool fan in peace here.

Glad to see he's received such an excited welcome, a few years back he was tipped for the Villa job and they were absolutely disgusting towards him. Joke perhaps on them now.  :snod:

If your owner (ha?) can allow him to build a proper project then it could be a rosy future, he'll have a lot of input in all aspects of the club such as the youth system etc. But I have to say he's entered into another club with troublesome owners, he knows how to pick em :)

Anyway goodluck, hope you guys stay up. He was responsible for the finest period of our history in my lifetime  O0

Makes me sad watching that. I think back to how he was treated by Hicks, Gillett, Purslow and Ayre. He didn't deserve that end to his time with us.

Discussing our change of manager, Jeff Stelling just spouted "are Newcastle fans expectations too high?"

To be fair Le Tiss shot him down.

What did Le Tiss say?

Something along the lines of "no I don't they're expectations are too high Jeff. Last week they all expected to be relegated, this week some of them expect to stay up. Given the calibre of the man they've brought in that seems reasonable enough to me"

I sincerely hope that McClaren hasn't completely destroyed confident throughout the squad.

Any lack of confidence will have been rectified immediately with Rafa's appointment.

Thank you for some of the love you have shown to my previous post. Here is some more information.

Rafa's preferred formation is 4-2-3-1. He may not play that during the next 10 games but over the summer and the next few transfer windows expect him to buy players which fit within a 4-2-3-1. when he was at LFC, he made even the youth teams (U15 onwards) play the 4-2-3-1 so that everyone is comfortable with their roles as a youngster.

Striker: I have seen him play two type of strikers: first is Peter Crouch/Mista (at Valencia) type who serves as a focal point and their main role is to hold the ball and bring the 3 attacking midfielders into the game. The second is Torres style who works the channels, plays on the shoulders of the last defender and can destroy defenses on their own. A Rafa striker must relish the physical aspect of the game and be able to battle defenses with the ball.

I dont think Rafa ever player Sturridge as a striker when he was at Chelsea. And when he came to LFC, Owen was moving to Madrid and from many rumours, Rafa did not do much to discourage the move. Same thing, when Owen was coming back from Madrid and you guys outbid us, lot of rumours that the LFC interest was primarily driven by Parry, Moore and Rafa wasnt too keen. I dont think he rarely played Bellamy as a striker too.

3 attacking midfielders: All 3 players must be interchangeable and fluid. He sometimes plays strikers on the right or left side of the 3 (Kuyt, Bellamy). When 2 attack the center and support the striker, sometimes he instructs one of the three to remain wide to give width. His best team at LFC had Riera, Gerrard, and Kuyt forming the three. His best team at Valencia had Vicente, Aimar, and someone else( dont remember maybe Rufete).

2 central midfielders: One of them is going to be a old school agricultural defensive midfielders in the Mascherano/Albelda mould -"Either the ball passes me or the player passes me but never both". Rafa loves his defensive midfielders. They are the fulcrum of his team. He is flexible with his second midfielder. From what I have heard Baraja used to join the attacks, runs into the box and score goals. But for us Alonso used to patrol the midfield and act as a pivot.

Central defenders- Again he prefers one of them to be old school defenders in the Ayala, Carragher mould. When in doubt, launch it. None of this new age let us build the attacks from the back. Safety first. The triumvirate of defensive midfielder and central defenders is very important in a Rafa team. He makes them repeat drills over and over and over again till everything is second nature to them. The existing defenders and midfielders at Newcastle better have patience as he is very demanding in terms of positioning and maintaining offside lines.

FullBacks: Again he is a safety first guy. So he rarely plays two attacking fullbacks. Normally one of them if not both will be more defensively oriented.

Clarification on owners: He does fight a lot with owners and managing directors. He has balls made of highest grade titanium. He has high standards and tries to control every aspect of the club - diet of U 14 teams to signings. He works 14-18 hours a day and if he feels the directors/owners do not share his vision or passion, he does throw the toys out. Judging by your opinion of Ashley, Charnley - expect fireworks in the future. He would rather be fired than toe the party line and work in a compromised manner. Have to admire him for that.

Media - hates the media. Hates Shreeves, Gray, and the general British media. And the feeling is mutual. VEry few reporters get along with him. Part of the reason why his reputation is poor in England. Doesnt worship traditional media heroes like Ferguson, Mourinho and makes that very clear.

After Mourinho got fired: "The key to them is Abramovich. The only difference I see between Mourinho and [Avram] Grant is in their press conferences! I watched the game at Everton and they were playing the same as they always did. The media might miss Mourinho, but not me."

"If Chelsea are naive and pure then I'm Little Red Riding Hood."

He loves poking rival fans, So expect some brilliant quotes about Sunderland.

Chelsea Fans "We don't need to give away flags for our fans to wave."

He called Everton a small club :))

Expect some nice WTF quotes like ""I was hoping for a sofa and they've brought me a lamp".

On Roy Hodgson: "Every single press conference is even worse than the last one. Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."

His thoughts on the Luis garcia ghost goal controversy after Sky showed a complex all angle camera view.

"After the game, Sheila, who was sitting right in line, said to me that the ball had crossed the line. She is a very honest person and that was good enough for me. It was a goal." and then walks off.