Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

I'm convinced we will continue to improve. That second half showed much more improvement.

For sure, just hope we have enough time

I have a feeling we will defeat someone we weren't expecting, we simply need to gain more points than the other cunts +4 points better than Norwich to end the season. It's going to be tough, but so was the predicament we are in. Keep fighting, keep working, keep the faith.

Liverpool would be nice.

Little thing, but I was impressed by how he handled the Mitrovic fiasco.

Came in here to say that as well. Wouldn't say it was a fiasco mind, everyone handled it the way it should have been. Mitro being the mad bastard that he is was always going to fight to come back on, but fair play to the medical team and Rafa for not allowing him.

Little thing, but I was impressed by how he handled the Mitrovic fiasco.

Came in here to say that as well. Wouldn't say it was a fiasco mind, everyone handled it the way it should have been. Mitro being the mad bastard that he is was always going to fight to come back on, but fair play to the medical team and Rafa for not allowing him.

:thup:

Real professionalism from Rafa.

The first half was tactically awful. Massive gap in midfield which allowed them so much pressure.

HOWEVER, the mark of a good manager is how they can change the game.

His subs weren't like for like...they were what was needed. They all had a positive effect on the shape of the game.

Loved how he properly talked to the oncoming player. Loved how he handled Mitro in mental mode.

The biggest stress with relegation isn't losing PL status...it's losing this guy.

Painful truth there.

Thought he screwed up a bit with the tactics today.  I don't really like this 4-4-2 he's going with, we're starved of width and weak in the middle of the park.  De Jong playing as a 10 off Mitro might help as he links up the play quite well but I hope this isn't what he's looking at long term.

Thought he screwed up a bit with the tactics today.  I don't really like this 4-4-2 he's going with, we're starved of width and weak in the middle of the park.  De Jong playing as a 10 off Mitro might help as he links up the play quite well but I hope this isn't what he's looking at long term.

I think that's down to not being familiar with our players. He probably didn't realise how slow Colback is until he's seen him being roasted by Borini. It might take him another 2 or 3 games to come up with a workable line up. We don't really have the games but that's the situation we are in.

Not entirely sure what to make of that, tactically. I thought Perez simply wasn't doing his bit as a 10, when it came to the defensive work, and de Jong instantly improved our flow with his retention and positioning - this stopped their midfield getting so much time and space. Perez was much more dangerous when out wide, he just couldn't move in the middle and didn't seem up for the battle; Kirchoff owned him on 3 or 4 occasions. Not keen on Sissoko left at all - we need to have at least one winger on his correct foot to get balls in, Sissoko slowed so many moves down by not wanting to get on his wrong peg. Still, he recognised what was wrong as we went on and had a plan, that much was obvious at least.

Think this fortnight international break might've come at the right time for us. 4-4-2 didn't seem to work for us today, need to either work on that or get 2 weeks of something else trained before the Norwich game.

Guest firetotheworks

Sissoko left, Townsend right needs to go away sharpish. No threat down the flanks playing like that. Especially ridiculous when we've got Mitrovic at CF.

It's supposed to be the full backs that provide the width and the overlap so that Sissoko and Townsend can cut inside, but we don't have the players for it. I'm not sure putting Townsend on the left is a good idea though.

Benitez will learn more about his players during a game than he ever will during training.  He'll make mistakes because he might have too much faith in players he doesn't really know yet but he got us a point that we wouldn't have had without him.  I'll give him 8 out of 10 again today for the simple reason that he's still learning but is also effective with his changes.

De jong has been so poor he again brought nothing to the game. But 2nd half was a big improvement so team talk and tactics change worked at least.

:nope:

:thup: De Jong is tactically much smarter than Perez. His positional play between the lines creates space for other players, bringing him on changed the game IMO.

Surprised how little we improved today. 10% atmost.

I am not getting on Rafa's back by any means but we still play like strangers.

This is the most diffcult thing to fix, i am sure Rafa will get it eventually but we might not have enough time.

We need to start playing like a team if we want to get out of this and now its doesn't look like its moving that way yet.