Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Radio 5 saying it's dependent on how much funds MA is likely to release for squad rebuilding.

on the bbc site too.

And what an in-depth article it is.

Radio 5 saying it's dependent on how much funds MA is likely to release for squad rebuilding.

Pretty sure that would've been one of the first things sorted on Sun/Mon. Sounds like bullshit

The reports guesses had said that's what the 2nd LC meeting was all about.

So it's taking the fat Jabba a few days to come up with a figure? Aye right. :lol:

No, I never said or suggested that. I'm just stating what reports said to back up your post ???

Sorry, that came across wrong. It was in relation to the original post.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36331354

Rafael Benitez's decision whether to stay on as Newcastle manager will depend on the amount of funds he is given to strengthen the squad.

Benitez took over in March but could not stop the club being relegated, despite the Magpies winning three of their last six league matches.

He could now activate a clause in his deal which allows him to leave.

However, he has held talks with the Magpies hierarchy, with talks described as positive.

Benitez replaced Steve McClaren with the club in 19th and the Spaniard was in charge for 10 top flight games in all.

"My heart is telling me yes, it is a great opportunity, city and club," the former Real Madrid boss told BBC Sport after his side's 5-1 win over Tottenham in their last game of the campaign.

"But my brain is saying to analyse what is going on."

Load of speculative tosh.

Hardly a money issue if they have been discussing targets already.

Depends if the discussions have been along the lines of

"Can I have this player?"

"Nah, too much wonga, innit"

"How about this player?"

"Nah mate, you ain't gettin' the moollah for that."

Newcastle United remain in advanced talks with Rafa Benitez over plans to extend his stay as manager, Sky sources understand.

Benitez has held two meetings with Newcastle owner Mike Ashley to iron out the finer details of his proposed contract at the club.

The first was in the manager's office at St James' Park immediately after the 5-1 win over Tottenham on the final day of the Premier League season and the second was at the Shirebrook head office of Ashley's Sports Direct business.

There is understood to be a willingness by both parties to see Benitez remain as manager but the Spaniard wants assurances in writing that he will have full control over transfers and that there will be money to spend in the next two transfer windows.

It is believed Benitez will also want to overhaul the scouting system at Newcastle, which could throw into doubt the future of Newcastle's long-standing chief scout, Graham Carr.

On Saturday, Benitez said he wanted two weeks to weigh up his decision and although there is now an urgency to get the deal done, it may be next week before the contract is signed.

I'd be suprised if he doesn't. Given how little money it will take to get us back in the premiership.

Exactly. If Ashley needs to put cash in he'll add it to our loan, he wants to get us back in a season so we can collect the tv money and advertise the shite out of his shitty company

It's funny how we are reacting from micro amounts of news and making huge assumptions. It feels to me the normal sort discussions are going through their motions and we are still in pole position. Rafa was always going to ask for more control and the right funds etc. - reporting it now as potential stumbling blocks is daft as they were always there.

He won't need to spend anything, If I'm Ashley I'm saying to Rafa no problem mate, but im not putting any in because I made it clear it was spent in the last two windows, but whatever you recoup from moving players on etc is yours to reshape this side however you like.

I can't see what is wrong with something like that, we could still hang on to a fair few and sell enough players on and reinvest the funds, not too much will need spending to return at the first.

We don't need to panic yet.

Guest Julie Anderton

Talk of 2nd and 3rd meetings man. You can just imagine it, Rafa's presented a 3 year rebuilding plan, mapped out and budgeted for: "Maybe just invite Neil in for a chat"

I'd be suprised if he doesn't. Given how little money it will take to get us back in the premiership.

Is that no exactly the worry?  Rafa wants a fair amount to build a team to challenge in the Premier League next season, Ashley knows he could get up on a shoestring with someone else.

Didn't Ashley say there is no money left to spend, just after we appointed Benitez?

Pretty sure I remember him saying it in that interview where they were on about him going before the MPs.

I think be referred to the bank being emptied, but don't recall him saying no more money to spend.