Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

When we were linked on Wednesday I pulled out Bellamy's book to re-read what he'd said about him. I think the players will hate him, like. He'll get them winning games if they listen to him, though.

What did he say about him?

Bellamy is the exact kind of character, who you'd expect to clash with......... well anyone.  But despite what you read about how detailed Benitez is and how his football is a bit boring.  It seems a lot of his former players are speaking highly of him.

Carragher said exactly the same things about him in his book: outstanding tactically but a total control freak and extremely ruthless.

Sounds perfect for us.

yep- weve had a wet blanket and the players have taken the piss,

This day's been insane....I've been teaching so couldn't even have a sneaky deak on my phone between lunch and finish, just caught up now. This is a monumental coup for us, one which will probably have fans elsewhere questioning his sanity. Kudos to Rafa though, to have the cojones to take on what is a massive task that lesser managers wouldn't have touched with a ten foot cattle prod. When I heard it on the radio in the car i just burst out laughing. Unbelievable day.

I've got this weird sensation that I haven't felt for over a decade. What's it called again? Oh yeah....optimism.

Still can't quite believe this could be the outcome of everything we've been put through by the club these past years, it's unbelievable really. It'll all be on a knife edge until the end of the season, but at least there is now something to look forward to if we can somehow stay in this league, even if it is just a tantalising glimpse at the moment. Rafa could have such a a huge positive impact.

Biggest signing the club has made since shearer/robson. Really hope we stay up and this isn't a false dawn.

Loved being told by a load of mackems at work today why this is a bad signing... Just sat grinning ear to ear whilst trying to eat my lunch. Not bitter in the slightest.  :lol:

Mick Quinn is ecstatic about the NUFC appointment.

Rafa Benitez will be the best manager to stand in the home dugout at Newcastle United since Sir Bobby Robson - he is that good.

Mike Ashley has not appointed many people who excite me and the fans over the years, but Benitez is a proper manager.

His record states that – he is a Champions League winner. When’s the last time Newcastle had a one of those in charge?

There’s been ones who’ve won it as players, but not as coaches.

This is a coup for the club, make no mistake about it. I’ve followed him since his Liverpool days, another club very close to my heart, and he is a proper football man.

Benitez knows the English game inside-out and he has succeeded in the Premier League before – I see no reason why he wouldn’t do that again at Newcastle if he’s given the correct assurances.

What I do know about Rafa too is he will love the club and the passion that surrounds it – he thrived on that at Liverpool and he will definitely buy into it at Newcastle too.

The thing with Rafa is he just gets it, and I think Toon fans will learn that quite quickly.

He’s a big-time manager.

Out of the credentials of all the names linked with that job, he 100 per cent has the best CV, so in fairness to the club they’ve gone for the best man by far.

I think he’s a class act. When he was at Liverpool, they won four trophies and it started brilliantly; for the first few years it worked extremely well.

If I’m honest I think it went sour towards the end of his Anfield tenure – and both him and the club really needed a change by then.

The last season was poor to be fair but the first few were exceptional.

I have every ounce of respect for him because he’s a winner.

Biggest signing the club has made since shearer/robson. Really hope we stay up and this isn't a false dawn.

Loved being told by a load of mackems at work today why this is a bad signing... Just sat grinning ear to ear whilst trying to eat my lunch. Not bitter in the slightest. [emoji38]

I too experienced this. Walking back from the canteen I audibly said "You seen Defoe has torn his hamstring" the m*ckems were like piranhas[emoji38]