Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Surely it's better to go with what we've got, which is surely more than enough to get us up...than spend say, £20m on Knockaert who didn't make the step up to the Premier League last time, then have to spend similar again (or more) to replace him next year?

I'm happy with the money there for next summer tbh.

this occurred to me last night thinking how 'happy' i was with the fee for sissoko - that if we get promoted and want to push on when we get back up we're either going to have to sign gems for good money, develop a load of bairns to come through pretty quick, or end up spending similar sums ourselves to what everton were looking to splash and that spurs have splashed

that'll be a massive test under ashley like, massive

there's always the possibility that rafa will build a team that's more than the sum of its parts i guess but on coming back up at the very minimum you'd expect we'll need to splash slimani type cash on a proven striker

But Ashley has said he's only ever wanted the club to spend what it earns/brings in, rather than him having to stump up his own money.

Surely if we get promoted, we'll  get prize money and Premiership money, and we may also have £30m already from Sissoko's transfer (if its up front, and doesn't get spent in January).

We have spent a fair amount (by our recent standards) over the last 3 windows - and yes, we have balanced the books by selling/moving players, but thats how he seemingly wants it to work... so I don't get the worry that Ashley will suddenly not let Rafa/Charnley use any funds we gets from (big) players sales and/or Sky TV money??!!

Surely it's better to go with what we've got, which is surely more than enough to get us up...than spend say, £20m on Knockaert who didn't make the step up to the Premier League last time, then have to spend similar again (or more) to replace him next year?

I'm happy with the money there for next summer tbh.

this occurred to me last night thinking how 'happy' i was with the fee for sissoko - that if we get promoted and want to push on when we get back up we're either going to have to sign gems for good money, develop a load of bairns to come through pretty quick, or end up spending similar sums ourselves to what everton were looking to splash and that spurs have splashed

that'll be a massive test under ashley like, massive

there's always the possibility that rafa will build a team that's more than the sum of its parts i guess but on coming back up at the very minimum you'd expect we'll need to splash slimani type cash on a proven striker

But Ashley has said he's only ever wanted the club to spend what it earns/brings in, rather than him having to stump up his own money.

Surely if we get promoted, we'll  get prize money and Premiership money, and we may also have £30m already from Sissoko's transfer (if its up front, and doesn't get spent in January).

We have spent a fair amount (by our recent standards) over the last 3 windows - and yes, we have balanced the books by selling/moving players, but thats how he seemingly wants it to work... so I don't get the worry that Ashley will suddenly not let Rafa/Charnley use any funds we gets from (big) players sales and/or Sky TV money??!!

well he's never spent in advance of the money before has he?  so next season we'll be on parachute payment and the full PL TV bifta won't come until the end of that season, assuming we're promoted of course

i do think there's been a shift in policy from ashley and he'll spend more than before as long as rafa is running the show, but it's still hard for me to see us buying 2-3 players for £20/30m fees and that's kind of what we're going to need if we want to push on fast imo

Not to go all spreadsheets on this deal but we do have to finance a squad in the Championship and I'm sure we had to get a MA loan last time. I wouldn't be surprised if the Sissoko cash went towards running the club rather than being kept to one side. That said, I'm not sure who at the club will still be on top money. Got to have saved a ton on wages.

Newcastle United have been linked with a shock move for Sunderland teenage star Joel Asoro. Reports claim that the Magpies' chief scout Graham Carr watched 17-year-old Asoro in action for Sweden Under-21s at the weekend. Asoro has sprung to prominence this summer after catching the eye of new Black Cats boss David Moyes. Carr is keeping tabs on the youngster following an impressive performance for Sweden Under-21s, according to Expressen. Arsenal are also reportedly interested in the youngster, who joined Sunderland last season.

Newcastle United have been linked with a shock move for Sunderland teenage star Joel Asoro. Reports claim that the Magpies' chief scout Graham Carr watched 17-year-old Asoro in action for Sweden Under-21s at the weekend. Asoro has sprung to prominence this summer after catching the eye of new Black Cats boss David Moyes. Carr is keeping tabs on the youngster following an impressive performance for Sweden Under-21s, according to Expressen. Arsenal are also reportedly interested in the youngster, who joined Sunderland last season.

'He already plays for Sunderland, but he impressed me a lot', Carr is quoted saying to Expressen.

http://www.expressen.se/sport/fotboll/landslaget/joel-asoro-hyllas-av-arsenal--newcastle/

The Asoro rumour: I met Carr at Sweden-Netherlands on Tuesday (my article and quotes). Did not get the impression we're after him, just that he and Arsenal's Bobby Bennett were both really impressed with him when they watched Sweden-Spain U21 the day before.

Spoke to Carr for quite a while. Very open and honest, somewhat feels he's been harshly criticized. He was clear on the fact that Rafa runs the whole show now, said all of the signings this summer was Rafa's. Referred a lot back to Tioté, Cabaye, Debuchy and Ben Arfa and said that in Ben Arfa's case, it was all Pardew. "He only played him at times because he was a fan favourite. Just look at him now" was his conclusion.

He also said Saivet was meant to be Tioté's replacement in January as the club was certain he was going, and badly misused as a consequence of that.

All in all, I'd not expect him to be part of the club's setup for much longer. He said some things that made me quite certain he's not in any significant power, and from the sound of it, Benitez has a very different idea of who to sign.

The Asoro rumour: I met Carr at Sweden-Netherlands on Tuesday (my article and quotes). Did not get the impression we're after him, just that he and Arsenal's Bobby Bennett were both really impressed with him when they watched Sweden-Spain U21 the day before.

Spoke to Carr for quite a while. Very open and honest, somewhat feels he's been harshly criticized. He was clear on the fact that Rafa runs the whole show now, said all of the signings this summer was Rafa's. Referred a lot back to Tioté, Cabaye, Debuchy and Ben Arfa and said that in Ben Arfa's case, it was all Pardew. "He only played him at times because he was a fan favourite. Just look at him now" was his conclusion.

He also said Saivet was meant to be Tioté's replacement in January as the club was certain he was going, and badly misused as a consequence of that.

All in all, I'd not expect him to be part of the club's setup for much longer. He said some things that made me quite certain he's not in any significant power, and from the sound of it, Benitez has a very different idea of who to sign.

:thup:

Sounds interesting.

Also sounds like Pardew has done the same with Jedinak, a fan favourite, held in higher esteem than Pardew.  Binned off.

Very enlightening. Feel a bit for Carr, he did bring some real talent here, I just think he looked at pure ability without taking into consideration the demands and pace of the premier league.

Carr had one source for targets; I'm sure someone posted on here the other day that about 8/9 of our signings were represented by the same agency, which seems eminently plausible. His connections would've been more of an asset if they didn't represent our entire scouting network.

What Carr's role was in the club's wider rhetoric, perpetuated by the likes of Pardew etc, remains largely unknown. The fact that he recently had an interview with Radio Newcastle and talked only about cricket and Northampton Town left me a bit suspicious.

I won't be sorry to see the back of him if he does go because, if nothing else, he's a big part of the era we've (hopefully) just come out of.

Not so sure on that.  He's getting on a bit now and obviously still loves the game.  I could see him just doing his simple scouting until he retires.

Think Carr was lauded as a footballing guru when it suited the club and thrown under the bus when that suited them too.

He's bent as anything, but nearly every football agent and scout are. A bunch of rich folk doing favours for one another for the right price.

Unbelievably harsh man.

I truly believe so many more of the players he brought in would have done far better if we ever bothered to have a decent manager at the club at the time.

Kaka and Carr, ffs. It's embarrassing. Not one Carr-scouted player has done owt in football besides contribute to our relegation - and I obviously don't include international players we'd all heard of in that. Not to mention his role in appointing Steve McClaren when we had 6 months to get pretty much any unemployed or contractually vulnerable manager we wanted. Move on, man.

Carr's job might have said chief scout but in reality he was more of an agent than anything else. His remit was to find young players with sell on value and, by in large, he achieved that.

The whole "well I'd heard of him," crack is tiresome. That wasn't the crux of Carr's job and we all know it.