Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He wasn't their scraps but I remember the move being criticised.

Not denying that to some extent, but it's very different from this Joselu lad.

edit: my memory was more people thought it was a lot of money for him.

He'd not pulled up many trees when Coventry went down. Missed a ton of chances but his game clicked straight away here. Still missed a load of one on ones but his all round game was perfect for us.

Because he was a Striker who'd moved for big money and hadn't scored many goals. I certainly don't remember a massive queue of teams lining up to buy him. If I recall correctly he was also Bobby's second choice behind Jeffers. In the same way Robert was second choice to Zenden

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We'll sign superstars that turn out to be duds, we'll sign some dross players that turn out to be decent for us. It happens in football, not just for us but for everyone.

There is only merit in evaluating players based on their performances in an NUFC shirt, because what they've done with other clubs before us or after us is pretty irrelevant.

At this moment in time, we have a world class manager choosing the players rather than a fraud like Pardew, I'll more than happy give any person Rafa chooses to sign a decent chance. He's bound to pick some duds, but every manager does. If Rafa thinks that Joselu can do a job for us, then I'm more than happy to trust that judgement until I've seen otherwise. Clark and Murphy, two signings last season that 90% of our support, me included, thought were shit - but two players who ultimately helped us win the league and promotion at the first attempt.

That said, I understand why people would like to evaluate players before they sign - although I just don't think there is much to it and there is absolute no point in writing someone off as 'shit' before they've even kicked a ball for us.

The age of the internet means every players numbers are analysed massively without the player being watched and conclusions are then drawn off those numbers. But as we all know, its not as simple as that and that's why some managers are so much better than others.

Guest firetotheworks

I remember thinking that Bellamy was an underwhelming signing at the time, and Jeffers would have been as well. I was excited about Robert though.

We'll sign superstars that turn out to be duds, we'll sign some dross players that turn out to be decent for us. It happens in football, not just for us but for everyone.

There is only merit in evaluating players based on their performances in an NUFC shirt, because what they've done with other clubs before us or after us is pretty irrelevant.

At this moment in time, we have a world class manager choosing the players rather than a fraud like Pardew, I'll more than happy give any person Rafa chooses to sign a decent chance. He's bound to pick some duds, but every manager does. If Rafa thinks that Joselu can do a job for us, then I'm more than happy to trust that judgement until I've seen otherwise. Clark and Murphy, two signings last season that 90% of our support, me included, thought were s*** - but two players who ultimately helped us win the league and promotion at the first attempt.

That said, I understand why people would like to evaluate players before they sign - although I just don't think there is much to it and there is absolute no point in writing someone off as 's***' before they've even kicked a ball for us.

:thup:

When Bellamy signed, I remember Coventry fans coming on the old forum with a photoshop of Bellamy as a Barbie Ken doll with a tagline of "He gets in the box! He falls over!" or something similar. I don't know how representative they were, but they seemed well glad to see the back of him.

Yeah, Coventry signed Bellamy to replace Robbie Keane when he went to Inter and he didn't look much cop at all. Was an apprehensive attitude to the transfer - seemed like an average signing from an average PL side, a bit like Cort had seemed at that time as well.

Yeah, Coventry signed Bellamy to replace Robbie Keane when he went to Inter and he didn't look much cop at all. Was an apprehensive attitude to the transfer - seemed like an average signing from an average PL side, a bit like Cort had seemed at that time as well.

He started as a centre forward but couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo, missed countless one on ones so much so that Gordon Strachan played him out on the left flank for the final 3 quarters of their relegation season.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm sure we were linked with Robert before Zenden, although we did try and buy the latter first. Robert excited me because he was coming from PSG, a French left winger... oooh la la la Ginola. I hadn't seem him play, however. Bellamy's signing was very much a meh signing at the time. Infact that whole summer wasn't that exciting. I still believe the InterToto cup games gave us an advantage going into the campaign though and when we drew with big spending Chelsea on the opening day I thought we could have a good season. And we did, more than good. Two players in Robert and Bellamy totally transformed an average side. Such signings this summer could transform the current team too...

I've always thought Adrian looked like a decent keeper, whenever I've seen him. Although he was dropped last season for Randolph, wasn't he? As we weren't in the PL, I didn't really take a great deal of notice of it.

He was yeah, can't say I would rate him any higher than Krul pre injury of course.

Samaris isn't in the Benfica 18 tonight for their Super Cup match.

I love this time of the window when everyone checks if players we are linked to are in the squad. ?

I even did it with Joselu this afternoon.