Wor Flags: visit worflags.org.uk/donate to support future displays

wor jackie

Brilliant display on a par with Arsenal at home last year as the best to date.

Whilst not an atmosphere thread would be interested to know what @Heron and these lads made of the vocal support from our end during the game ?

Edited by Whitley mag

great seeing these lads proudly marching through trafalgar square saturday night,

quite rightly getting a few well deserved pats on the back as they moved through the crowds.

Edited by huss9

I'll probably get pelters for this and I hope people don't take it the wrong way as I believe these lads, along with the new ownership are the best thing to happen to the club in a very long time, and their displays are just jaw dropping, but I think they have turned a lot of our fans lazy.

Noticed at home games these days everyone seems bang up for it and gets involved in the pre match displays but as soon as the match kicks off they pack their scarf/flag away and it's almost a case of "well I've done my bit" and they proceed to sit there in silence. Unbelievably exactly the same thing happened at Wembley.

The display pre match was simply spine tingling and there's not another fans group out there who could have pulled that off (certainly put Man Utds efforts to shame) but then it was the same thing. "That looked spectacular, job done", and most people around me packed their flags away and proceeded to stand there in complete silence.

Then 2 mins before the end everyone gets there flags out, sing "Toon Toon black and white army" and there's loads of back slapping and people congratulating themselves on an incredible atmosphere when in fact it was absolutely shite!

I think now the focus from Wor Flags needs to be less about the visual and more about the vocal. They'll need the club on board and ultimately it's down to the fans to make a noise, but everything they touch seems to turn to gold so I'm 100% confident if anyone can pull it off, they can.

I was at Wembley in 96, 98, 99 and 00, and also Cardiff in 05 and our crowd was on another level. Easily drowned out our opponents on all 3 occasions. Sunday was a pale imitation of that. Undoubtedly we lost a load of the more passionate fans during the Ashley regime and now they can't get back in which is probably the biggest problem, and a lot of these newer fans who have replaced them need to realise that creating a good atmosphere for the players isn't just about the pre match spectacle, it also needs carried into the game.

Was talking to a lad afterwards who was in the safe standing section amd he said the atmosphere in there was dire as well so people hanging their hat on that being able to transform the atmosphere may be in for a disappointment.

Apologies for the long rant but coming away from there I was as disappointed with our efforts in the stands as I was the result.

From my experience the "Lost 10k" is certainly a real thing. I went to London on Saturday to meet up with nine lads in their 40s, 50s, and 60s. These are black and white daft blokes most of whom were at the 76 and 90s finals. They went home and away for years but for whatever reason gave up in the mid to late Ashley years and out of the nine lads only two had tickets for the match. We sang ourselves hoarse around the bars of London on Saturday and would have done exactly the same at Wembley but instead they were stuck in some London pub and I was back up to Newcastle. It is what it is and I certainly have no ill feelings to any new fans who have started going in the last few years but I am sure this kind of situation was replicated time and again in London at the weekend. So many of the old hardcore lads just simply aren't able to get in anymore.

Edited by pedro111

1 minute ago, pedro111 said:

From my experience the "Lost 10k" is certainly a real thing. I went to London on Saturday to meet up with nine lads in their 40s, 50s, and 60s. These are black and white daft blokes who were at the 76 and 90s finals. Who went home and away for years but for whatever reason gave up in the mid to late Ashley years and out of the nine lads only two had tickets for the match. We sang ourselves hoarse around the bars of London on Saturday and would have done exactly the same at Wembley but instead they were stuck in some London pub and I was back up to Newcastle. It is what it is and I certainly have no ill feelings to any new fans who have started going in the last few years but I am sure this kind of situation was replicated time and again in London at the weekend. So many of the old hardcore lads just simply aren't able to get in anymore.

We probably lost best part of 10k fans when Refa walked away and Bruce was appointed, and that's in addition to all those who drifted away at various times during the Ashley era. Obviously a load walked away on the back of how Keegan was treated as well. Fortunately for the club they managed to replace most of those fans but in doing so attracted a different type of supporter. I know a lad who started going a few years ago with his son when previously he'd once said "I'd rather watch Coronation Street that a game of football". No doubt there's many more like him. In fact I'm certain there is when you look around on a matchday.

There is still a core of what I'd class as genuine, traditional NUFC supporters go and plenty who do want to go and make a racket and get behind the team. Strawberry Corner, NE Corner, Gallowgate Upper and L7 near the away fans all have big pockets of like minded supporters but because they are dotted about it's more difficult to create an atmosphere.

If there's a way of bringing all of these together it has to be looked into. As I've said previously I'd rather Wor Flags toon this on, rayher than the Trust as I think they would find a way of cocking it up. Sunday should act as a massive wake up call. I never, ever thought I'd be in a Newcastle crowd that was so flat for a Cup Final.  It was like SJP transferred into Wembley.

I agree, the backslapping our fans do is embarrassing when the atmosphere is so stale. It’s such a shame because last season was the best I’ve known it since I first started going on a regularly basis under Souness. 

I seen someone say on Twitter yesterday “if you’ve paid £100 for a seat, you want to use it” in response to people discussing sitting down. Made my toes curl. 

@Wallsendmagand @pedro111. Fantastic posts and I agree wholeheartedly.

I was speaking to one of the WF lads over a pint on Sunday night and he said very similar. As someone now locked out, but fortunately getting in through a membership, I’m one of the luckier ones I suppose. From a selfish perspective, I hope stadium expansion gets me a ST back. However, also selfishly I’m also fearful of others who may succeed. Plenty of people sat on their phones throughout the game…I was honestly shocked on Sunday. My dad and I chanted ‘Eddie Howe’s Black and White Army’ for 2 and a half minutes. Around 6 people joined in. The others looked at us as if we were mad [emoji38]

It genuinely only takes about 6 of us singing the same song for the same amount of time in the Leazes East Corner to eventually get the lower Leazes and pockets of the East Stand joining in.

We live and learn I suppose. Certainly a discussion for the club and WF to have I suppose. The safe standing survey fills me with confidence - unless a majority of people said they didn’t want one? ?

8 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

@Wallsendmagand @pedro111. Fantastic posts and I agree wholeheartedly.

I was speaking to one of the WF lads over a pint on Sunday night and he said very similar. As someone now locked out, but fortunately getting in through a membership, I’m one of the luckier ones I suppose. From a selfish perspective, I hope stadium expansion gets me a ST back. However, also selfishly I’m also fearful of others who may succeed. Plenty of people sat on their phones throughout the game…I was honestly shocked on Sunday. My dad and I chanted ‘Eddie Howe’s Black and White Army’ for 2 and a half minutes. Around 6 people joined in. The others looked at us as if we were mad [emoji38]

It genuinely only takes about 6 of us singing the same song for the same amount of time in the Leazes East Corner to eventually get the lower Leazes and pockets of the East Stand joining in.

We live and learn I suppose. Certainly a discussion for the club and WF to have I suppose. The safe standing survey fills me with confidence - unless a majority of people said they didn’t want one? ?

I’m same as you, locked out but still

manage pretty much every home game. Frustrating that everyone is sat in total silence other than the Strawberry Corner for most of the game. 

Wonder what would be better/more achievable; safe standing as well as a singing section, or one and the same? With the family area factored in too, you wonder how many 'sections' they can get away with?

Sounds like there's definitely something in the theory that the more vociferous/'die-hard' fans have been replaced by a more modern spectator, whose interest maybe doesn't match the privilege/responsibility. But in terms of the weekend, I think it's unfair to completely discount the spectacle of the flag-waving when you're scoring the 'performance' of the fans. It was an incredible sight and a real demonstration of pride in Newcastle and it made me emotional both times. I accept that it's not enough though. 

Really disappointing and a bit worrying that a standing section doesn't feel like the guarantee of a renewed atmosphere we thought it was. 

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

I'll probably get pelters for this and I hope people don't take it the wrong way as I believe these lads, along with the new ownership are the best thing to happen to the club in a very long time, and their displays are just jaw dropping, but I think they have turned a lot of our fans lazy.

Noticed at home games these days everyone seems bang up for it and gets involved in the pre match displays but as soon as the match kicks off they pack their scarf/flag away and it's almost a case of "well I've done my bit" and they proceed to sit there in silence. Unbelievably exactly the same thing happened at Wembley.

The display pre match was simply spine tingling and there's not another fans group out there who could have pulled that off (certainly put Man Utds efforts to shame) but then it was the same thing. "That looked spectacular, job done", and most people around me packed their flags away and proceeded to stand there in complete silence.

Then 2 mins before the end everyone gets there flags out, sing "Toon Toon black and white army" and there's loads of back slapping and people congratulating themselves on an incredible atmosphere when in fact it was absolutely shite!

I think now the focus from Wor Flags needs to be less about the visual and more about the vocal. They'll need the club on board and ultimately it's down to the fans to make a noise, but everything they touch seems to turn to gold so I'm 100% confident if anyone can pull it off, they can.

I was at Wembley in 96, 98, 99 and 00, and also Cardiff in 05 and our crowd was on another level. Easily drowned out our opponents on all 3 occasions. Sunday was a pale imitation of that. Undoubtedly we lost a load of the more passionate fans during the Ashley regime and now they can't get back in which is probably the biggest problem, and a lot of these newer fans who have replaced them need to realise that creating a good atmosphere for the players isn't just about the pre match spectacle, it also needs carried into the game.

Was talking to a lad afterwards who was in the safe standing section amd he said the atmosphere in there was dire as well so people hanging their hat on that being able to transform the atmosphere may be in for a disappointment.

Apologies for the long rant but coming away from there I was as disappointed with our efforts in the stands as I was the result.

Good post.

However, I’m confused about who these ‘new fans’ would even be. Minus one thousand people, every single season ticket holder had their ticket when Ashley was around. 

Do agree with the above few posts that maybe wor flags could assist in the general atmosphere as they seem well organised and in good favour with the club.

I know it's not necessarily their job, and would be something normally a trust would do but I honestly think they'd completely fuck it up and pay themselves on the back in the process.

Atmosphere was definitely weird at wembley, but then not too dissimilar to what we've been seeing at St James' very recently. 

The flags are wow factor, amazing visual spectacle, but it doesn't seem to gee up the support in the way you'd think or hope!

It's seemingly job done when the flags go down for kick off. And I'm not laying I to anyone as I was nervous myself on Sunday and struggling to accept where I was standing in the moment[emoji38]

1 minute ago, RobsonsWonderland said:

There were only five rows behind me in the lower bowl... But from what I could see everyone was standing for the full game??

I was in lower bowl and it looked to me like every single person was standing, but my mates in top tier said there were some ructions with people wanting to sit above standing fans.

Not even old people either ffs[emoji38]

48 minutes ago, Danh1 said:

I agree, the backslapping our fans do is embarrassing when the atmosphere is so stale. It’s such a shame because last season was the best I’ve known it since I first started going on a regularly basis under Souness. 

I seen someone say on Twitter yesterday “if you’ve paid £100 for a seat, you want to use it” in response to people discussing sitting down. Made my toes curl. 

I still think the crowd is better when it is backs to the wall against a decent team, a bit of fear from possibly being relegated, a massive injustice like a disallowed goal or dodgy pen decision.  

It feels like we rode the takeover wave, the results picked up massively and we got out of trouble and the fans were all still dead loud and up for it.  Then this season, the expectation levels have understandably gone up a bit.  Then after 10 games or so, gone up even further.  Due to us being so far ahead of schedule.  It feels like it has made the fanbase a bit complacent and too expectant, just assuming we will win/won't get beat. 

I still think SJP gets stupidly loud when we score and the celebrations often look and feel more jubilant and extreme than a lot of clubs.  Sounds a bit weird saying 'we celebrate goals better than you do' :lol:   But it's based on when I'm there, from watching on TV and going to plenty of aways over the years.   There is aways a good bit of singing afterwards, as well, like most clubs.  So the passion is obviously still there.  Just the sitting in silence for the rest of the time is a bit of a concern. 

2 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Brilliant post. Agree with every word of that.

Something desperately & urgently needs to be done about it. I'd back Wor Flags all the way to engage in dialogue with the club to get a very large area of SJP made into a safe standing/singing section. I have no faith in the trust whatsoever to resolve it though.

56 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Good post.

However, I’m confused about who these ‘new fans’ would even be. Minus one thousand people, every single season ticket holder had their ticket when Ashley was around. 

We lost 1000s of fans during the Ashley years. We had 2 moments where a lot chucked it at the same time (Keegan leaving and Rafa leaving/Bruce replacing him) plus loads of others who gradually drifted away, yet attendances remained fairly constant as they were replaced by other fans, many of whom I feel don't have quite the same levels of passion for the club as those who they replaced.

2 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Absolutely spot on mate. Re safe standing section i actually think people choose them for view as clearly alot in there who almost didnt want to be there. Also as 22k probably stand it means people would not of choose their to begin.

I think your right about almost using wor flags as more of a voice to reach out so to speak. I do think if you can get 5k lads standing week in week out and even get lads drinking in same pubs etc it will spill over to big games/cup finals. Have it as a fan group almost.

I hate to come across ageist as at 32 i know they were there before me but we have such a large number of fans who want to go and sit with a Bovril..thats absolutely fine but get like minded people together. A few of my mates got into arguments in top tier over standing...a fucking cup final.

That 10k of new ticket holders is bang on..know alot of lads who never had tickets at weekend who packed up...swap them for the youtubers and bruno in the middle crew.

After having time to think about this, the reason our end seemed like day trippers is due to our huge family enclosure.

A lot of tickets will have went to families and not groups of lads like in past finals. Clearly we need to protect the future support of the club, but our family enclosure is ridiculously big compared to other clubs.

I think this caused a major issue on Sunday in terms of the vocal support.

Also @Wallsendmagis spot on.

Edited by Whitley mag