Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

Gayle is a good goal scorer when he's being provided with chances, but he offers little to the team and doesn't create anything for himself.  Thats ok when you can dominate teams easily (Championship), as he'll nick lots of goals.  But when most teams are as good or better than us we need everyone involved just to create chances.  With him in the side we struggle as a team against any decent side, create very little and that renders him useless, it even happened plenty of times last season against the better Championship sides.  For the way Rafa wants to play we need a different player, especially in this league.  Someone who can score but also has better movement and can get involved in team play more.

Gayle is a good goal scorer when he's being provided with chances, but he offers little to the team and doesn't create anything for himself.  Thats ok when you can dominate teams easily (Championship), as he'll nick lots of goals.  But when most teams are as good or better than us we need everyone involved just to create chances.  With him in the side we struggle as a team, create fuck all and that renders him useless, it even happened plenty of times last season against the better Championship sides.  For the way Rafa wants to play we need a different player, especially in this league, someone who can score but also has better movement and can get involved in team play more.

Good summary. The only thing we could do with him is play a second striker....oh god I said it.  :lol:

Leeds got £15m for Chris Wood - add a couple to it and they can have a striker who'll get them in the top 6.

Leeds would be top contenders for promotion if they bought Gayle. He'll score goals in the Premier as well IMO, but not with Rafa's system as it's being played at the moment.

I can't imagine Gayle wants to leave himself though, surely he would want to compete in premier league, so can only think he's pissed Rafa off or Rafa has looked and realised he's not good enough for what he wants from him,or a new target is available that he thinks could lift us more.

Gayle is a good goal scorer when he's being provided with chances, but he offers little to the team and doesn't create anything for himself.  Thats ok when you can dominate teams easily (Championship), as he'll nick lots of goals.  But when most teams are as good or better than us we need everyone involved just to create chances.  With him in the side we struggle as a team against any decent side, create very little and that renders him useless, it even happened plenty of times last season against the better Championship sides.  For the way Rafa wants to play we need a different player, especially in this league.  Someone who can score but also has better movement and can get involved in team play more.

Nothing wrong with Gayle's movement, comes short, runs the channels and spins behind, more Perez not linking up with Gayle effectively.

Oh, and he's worried that his hamstrings might explode.

Its Perez fault?  Perez managed to link up fine with Joselu on Saturday.  Gayle moves plenty, its just not very intelligent movement outside of a good instinct for getting in behind a defence (shame we rarely have the ability to play him in).

I can't imagine Gayle wants to leave himself though, surely he would want to compete in premier league, so can only think he's pissed Rafa off or Rafa has looked and realised he's not good enough for what he wants from him,or a new target is available that he thinks could lift us more.

I doubt Gayle wants to leave, if he goes it's because Rafa doesn't think he's good enough.

As I've said before, I rate Dwight Gayle. He must be worth as much as or more than Andre Gray who just went for 18M. Gray has 9 PL goals and like Gayle is already 26. I would question whether Huddersfield, Brighton, and Swansea (once Llorente heads to Chelsea) have a striker as good as Gayle.

If Rafa can pull off some serious wheeler-dealer move though by selling him, I hope he goes for it. If it is Origi, we would be a perfect loan destination for Liverpool because we look a solid team who could potentially take more points off Liverpool's rivals with more quality up front. Goals for us against Top 6 sides would be more use to Liverpool than goals for them in the final minutes of games where they are already ahead.

Couldnt agree more :thup:

He's our best striker by a mile, the idea we're looking to sell him with no other proven goalscorers on the books is laughable. The injury concerns are valid, that said, unless it's something chronic I'd rather he stayed myself...

He's our best striker by a mile, the idea we're looking to sell him with no other proven goalscorers on the books is laughable. The injury concerns are valid, that said, unless it's something chronic I'd rather he stayed myself...

He's clearly not been the same player since his injury last season, despite his wonderful record you can't keep players around that have a saleable value but are simply not contributing. Gayle has hardly contributed since January, some 8 months ago. The big question is if we sold him would we replace him? And the obvious answer is, no.

In this market he's worth £20m+ all day long in terms of what he represents to a Championship side.

Wimmer has just gone for £18m ffs.

I had a funny feeling either he or Shelvey would be sold this summer.

I think a fully fit Gayle could get goals in this league no bother, but he clearly doesn't have a great deal of faith in his body at this moment in time. Whether that's something that he can get over or something more deep-seated like Sturridge we don't know but Rafa's comments a few weeks ago suggested he was getting frustrated with it. If there's an opportunity to cash in for £20m and if (and this is the important bit) we reinvest before deadline day then I wouldn't be that perturbed. At the moment we're probably not going to see a lot of him anyway.