Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

Along with Ritchie he can be considered the main on-field reason that we went up in 16-17. An absolute diamond of a player at that level and a pleasure to watch. 

No idea if he'll be any good there now with it being well past time that he should have been moved on, but he leaves with his mark well and truly made and I hope he can carry on where he left off 

His hat trick Vs Norwich at home was honestly of my favourite experiences watching Newcastle. 

Professional player, did well in the Champo for us. Should have moved on for his own good years ago, but he's made a lot of money here, so understandable by him. Ashley's fault for offering ridiculous contracts to the wrong players, can understand why Gayle stayed.

Best of luck to him and I hope he does well back in a division where he's played well. Better than rotting in the reserves at a PL club.

Bit disappointed we didn't get any sort of fee for him tbh. He's basically guaranteed goals at that level therefore, even on a hefty salary, he'd surely be worth a few million?

As it is, we're probably funding some of his wages too.

Regardless, wish him well and he goes with plenty of good wishes.

As soon as you're subsiding wages (which we will be here) theres basically no chance of getting a fee. Otherwise the buying club may as well put that fee towards paying more of the wages. 

Edited by ponsaelius

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

As soon as you're subsiding wages (which we will be here) theres basically no chance of getting a fee. Otherwise the buying club may as well put that fee towards paying more of the wages. 

Understand that completely but still feel we've been done over a bit tbh.

No disrespect to Gayle & the others that have left but how good is it to be getting rid of players that aren’t good enough to be playing for this club now. Under Ashley Hayden still starts, Clark and Gayle make the bench and Woodman is still touted as the future

Speaks volumes of the recruitment policy that's been in operation for the last few years that we've amassed a standard of players that is literally worthless. Hayden, Clark, Hendrick, Gayle, Woodman have all left without bringing in a fucking bean. We've essentially given them away as no other club deems them even worthy of a nominal fee. Another example of Ashley being such a fantastic businessman - allowing a fucking moron to accumulate players who tank in value so much they literally worthless. 

Problem being is there are another 3 or 4 at least who are in a similar boat - worthless and unwanted, stuck on hefty contracts because they simply couldn't be fucking bothered to scout for better. It's fucking scandalous how they used to run the gaff. 

Yup. There basically hasn't been a recruitment policy at all for a good few years. Just giving crap players long inflated contracts instead of selling them while they have worth and making new signings. Cashing in on an asset once a year to keep things ticking over. At least in the Graham Carr years there was some kind of methodology - flawed though it was.

We're lucky we're able to shift some of these players on at all tbh. I think you can basically thank Rafa for generally recruiting good pros who remain desirable to Championship managers and who actually seemingly want to move on to play football - even if the ages and contracts at this stage mean their value is nil.

Edited by ponsaelius

11 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Thanks for the 34 goals, DW. 23 in one Championship winning season 👏 11 in 88 Premier League games. Just checked, 11 is same total as Dabizas, Wijnaldum, Elliott, Watson, Maxi, Guoffran, Shelvey, Sissoko, and Rondon.

Excellent Champo record, terrible PL record. Not through any lack of effort though. I always get the feeling he was kept as insurance in case we were relegated. Thankfully those days are gone and he can be let go.

4 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I think Ritchie staying is a shocking indictment of what Howe thinks of Lewis as a footballer.

There’s no guarantee he’s staying. Let’s see where we are at the end of the window. Ritchie won’t want another season of no first team football

Him, Ritchie and Clark were absolutely phenomenal signings like. Pissed me off no end when folk would slag off Rafa's signings. He built a team that won the league whilst certain other fat messes were spending in greater numbers to achieve bottom half finishes. 

12 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Him, Ritchie and Clark were absolutely phenomenal signings like. Pissed me off no end when folk would slag off Rafa's signings. He built a team that won the league whilst certain other fat messes were spending in greater numbers to achieve bottom half finishes. 

Yeah but Lazaar

He should have had a better return, i think that's on his teammates and decision makers above.
We've been so bad for so long and so fucking negative,  I'm worried about Mitrovic this year in terms of really exposing what could have been and we've been lucky in that we've had a buyout after 15 years of dirge.
Does anyone think if he'd played in a more positive system he'd have been more productive? I always felt like he was both in the wrong place AND starved. As a poacher, bursting past the last man type he really chose the wrong club to come to. 

I'm sure he could have forced his way out of that comfortable wage and gone somewhere like Sheffield or something, whose to blame for that wasted time? 

I was never a fan but that's because he'd been touted as a possible signing under paedew so naturally I wanted nothing to do with him. Can't fault his early effort with us though. Best of luck. 

51 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

I think Ritchie staying is a shocking indictment of what Howe thinks of Lewis as a footballer.

I dont think Howe at all sees Ritchie as a LB if he were ever to play minutes for us again. He can't, he's a smart man. It'd be giving goals away and Im sure Howe knows that. He came on for Almiron against Burnley for the one example we have.

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar