Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

Lee Ryder knows nothing. Shock.

I'd sell Gayle if we can sign a replacement who is more suited to this league. If we was good enough for this league, would Palace have sold him? I think he's an excellent Championship striker. I thought he might be able to get 10-15 goals this season if he stayed fit, but he hasnt looked sharp in the two games he played and we looked much better with a target man up top.

I don't think who Pardew is willing to sell is a measure of a player's quality tbf.

It's telling that he dropped a division though, which looks to be the case for the second consecutive Summer.

We wouldn't get that fee from a premier league team when he's unproven at this level. Unproven doesn't necessarily mean unsuitable though.

It's all about whether Rafa's in on this as well, because I'd bet my life on him leaving if he's not and he's sold without a replacement.

Certain he will walk if we leave the squad thin on the ground up front. It's suicidal. Mitro three game ban, Gayle sold...if Joselu was to get injured where do we go? Ayoze Perez? Tom Heardman?!

Ok we should let him speak to Fulham to ensure he is actually willing to accept. In the mean time maybe try to negotiate a few million extra.

If we can find a striker or a number 10 that we can sign, who Rafa would want to start ahead of Gayle then we should move to sell him.

But we should only submit final paperwork on Gayle once the new striker signing is complete.

Not a Rafa striker, way too injury prone and unreliable. Massive wages.

Nee chance on that one.

in what way?

He likes a striker in the mould of Gayle to run the channels, especially as his number 1 choice upfront. He has a mobile target man in Joselu already.

Edit: Origi has been mentioned and I can see that being possible, however I'd honestly rather keep Gayle I think. I watch Liverpool a fair bit due to living round the area and my lasses family all being Reds and whenever I've seen him he looks completely fucking braindead and just shit all round. Fast, but nowt else.

So is it probable Rafa is willing to sell Gayle to fund a better #10 then go with Joselu, Mitro and potentially a last minute loan up top?

Makes sense to me tbh, don't think Gayle is going to cut it without a #10 anyways.

I think it's more likely we'll use the money on a striker. Although either player, at the level to make a guaranteed impact, should cost way over £15m.

We'll see but I'm not convinced. #10 is crucial to Rafa's system and we've got good support, some pace add goal threats out wide now. Main issue is Perez / Diame are not good enough and don't contribute.

Add a 10 goal / 10 assist player into the #10 spot (I know) and loan a striker such as Origi and we'd be in far better shape than just replacing Gayle like for like imo.

Basically this.  Strategically this is what we should do, if we have time.

Not a Rafa striker, way too injury prone and unreliable. Massive wages.

Nee chance on that one.

in what way?

He likes a striker in the mould of Gayle to run the channels, especially as his number 1 choice upfront. He has a mobile target man in Joselu already.

Edit: Origi has been mentioned and I can see that being possible, however I'd honestly rather keep Gayle I think. I watch Liverpool a fair bit due to living round the area and my lasses family all being Reds and whenever I've seen him he looks completely f***ing braindead and just s*** all round. Fast, but nowt else.

yeah, you're probably right, crouch is the exception to the rule i guess.

With the transfer money for Gayle, de Jong, Riviere and Hanley, plus the available wages (around £160k per week) there is no excuse for us to not go out and spend £20m-£30m on a top striker/#10.

Media said we had money to spend even before these deals happened, wages were the only issue. Well, we've got rid of a huge amount of wages and recouped more than expected in transfer fees. Spend the fucking money.

Part of me thinks we have a big offer on a player lined up.

Or why the sudden rush to get so many out clear wages and get what we can for what we have.

Hope theres room for 2 and a loan. But I think we will get one big transfer in if Gayle does go.

Seems early on in the transfer window nobody was interested in any of our players, but now its like a sale theyre all in.

Somethings lined up has to be. And if the scaremongers do guess right and we intake all this cash and do nothing on or before deadline day, then I would applaud Rafa for walking.

We're selling our best striker!? Lot of pressure to bring in a better replacement before the window closes. What could possibly go wrong?

Not just pressure on the club but also the striker coming in with Mitro banned.

Maybe with a decent loan striker as well, yeah, I was thinking about a scenario where we don't buy a striker at all.

Yeah well without another striker it works certainly be risky but a top #10 could transform the side tbh. A Gayle upgrade might struggle to get chances nevermind score goals, as will Gayle.

Like Ashley will allow Rafa to fetch in a replacement, once Gayle is sold! Remember when Milner was peddled behind Keegan's back.

I don't share your certainty here. I was surprised to read it, but even under Ashley, statistically speaking the amount of players we have replaced still outweighs the amount of players that we haven't replaced.

The hurt will never fade, but the odds are with us. Stay strong brother.

Guest chopey

I think its a good thing, sell Gayle, Rafa is allowed to bring in a better replacement, Jobs a goodin.

Or, sell Gayle and Rafa is not given a replacement and he packs in just like Keegan and we fall into self destruct mode again, either way the next day with have a massive impact on who will be our manager for the rest of the season.