Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

Just looked a bit rusty. Don't think it's beyond him to be a success in the Premier League. We had games last year in the Championship where Gayle was anonymous most of the game due to our poor build up play. I know he'll get less touches and less chances, but strikes me as a bit early to write him off.

Don't think he can play as a lone striker as his hold up play and touch are not good enough

Just looked a bit rusty. Don't think it's beyond him to be a success in the Premier League. We had games last year in the Championship where Gayle was anonymous most of the game due to our poor build up play. I know he'll get less touches and less chances, but strikes me as a bit early to write him off.

Don't think he can play as a lone striker as his hold up play and touch are not good enough

Was striking how much more involved Joselu was the moment he came on imo. I've never thought Gayle was good enough for the premo as a lone striker mind.

I still think Gayle can score goals in the Premier, but we'll need to play a different style with the ball coming in through the channels on the floor rather than hoofed long from our own half. Andy Cole wasn't a target man, but he got service from the likes of Sellars, Clark and Beardsley when he was in his prime here.

Cole was very under rated as a footballer though. Beardsley himself has said how clever he was in making runs (eg, knowing if Beardsley was going to need to take a touch then play it, or play it first time, etc even before the ball had reached him). I don't see that in Gayle. He's not a bad player but I don't think his type of striker cuts it as a main striker. Defoe seems an exception but he's phenomenal. Can't really say he had good service either. Think Palace were maybe right with how they used him.

I think runs are one of Gayle's strengths really. Can think of pre season recently when De Jong turned to put him through as an example of him already predicting a through ball before it had happened. If he finds his form again & we build decent attacks I think he'll show hes a good finisher.

Guest firetotheworks

Agree about Cole. My memory of him from being a kid was always as a poacher, but loads of full matches have been put up on YouTube recently and his hold up and link up play were excellent like. Him and Beardsley were telepathic, but his relationship with Rob Lee was fantastic as well.

I think runs are one of Gayle's strengths really. Can think of pre season recently when De Jong turned to put him through as an example of him already predicting a through ball before it had happened. If he finds his form again & we build decent attacks I think he'll show hes a good finisher.

It was the runs he makes I was thinking about really. I still remember the same criticisms against him early on last season with the Shite Gayle tag in one game going to Dwight Goals as he hit a brace in the next 30 mins.

He's shown for Palace he can score in the Premiership. The issue is whether he's suitable for Rafa's system. I don't think we can afford to carry a poacher who provides nothing else, not without a good number 10 to compensate anyway.

I think he's good enough to play in the Premiership, his movement and finishing are fine, but that's only when he's fit. Don't put your eggs in one basket etc. etc.

I think this as well. He also needs good service as he's not really the type who can create something for himself. Really worrying if he doesn't trust his body though as he might as well be injured if so.

Guest Howaythetoon

Seeing how the games are panning out I think Gayle will cut a forlorn figure up front on his own as he doesnt have that all round game needed. So I think unless we play two up front, he may serve us better from the bench as he did at Palace. If someone offered us say 15-20m for him I'd be tempted in order to raise funds towards a much better all-rounder. I like him and he's clearly a goalscorer, but the way we are set up now and how games are panning out, I don't think he has enough in his locker to impact a game from the start. He will have to do a lot of running, a lot of donkey work, and that's not really his game. That unless Rafa's tactics change. Gayle desperately needs a playmaker behind him or to be partnered up top to be truly effective from the start in this division IMO.

Goodness me. If only people showed as much faith in this guy as they do in Mitro and now Joselu after 3 fucking games. People, we need a squad, and him having decent competition is a positive thing, instead people are already talking about flogging him or him not being cut out for the Prem. His record is better than both our other options, FFS. The only question mark is his fitness and the psychological impact of all the injuries.

I don't think we need to flog him.  He is more than capable to be an impact sub and occasionally lead our line.  The problem is whether Gayle is willing to play in this role.  He joined us because he wants to start.

Fucks sake, flog our only reliable finisher? (Joselu may be but time will tell) I agree that other forwards add more to our play, he is limited especially for this division but he will still score if given a chance, unlike Mitrovic who can't hit a barn door sometimes. I could understand if a proven reliable goalscorer was coming in but everyone we sign is a gamble at the moment.