Matt Ritchie

Fenham Mag

At least he and Dummett are good in the dressing room and to have around the place. 

I know the real reason they likely stayed and got contract renewals is because FFP means we couldn't buy anyone else, but we've a limited squad with the injuries and these two bring nothing to the playing side when we're absolutely desperate.

10 hours ago, Aiston said:

Don't think it's odd. We cannot replace everyone of our squad players that leaves without it hurting our starting 11. He's an excellent influence in the squad as well, seems ideal to have someone like that.

At the peak of his ability he was sold by Bournemouth to us in the Championship.  He’s also spent the last 2 1/2 years warming our bench because no club has ever shown any interest and he’s seemingly happy collecting a wage.

I’ve no idea what this ‘influence’ is but we don’t need any of our players learning from his example if we want anything approaching a winning mentality.

5 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

At the peak of his ability he was sold by Bournemouth to us in the Championship.  He’s also spent the last 2 1/2 years warming our bench because no club has ever shown any interest and he’s seemingly happy collecting a wage.

I’ve no idea what this ‘influence’ is but we don’t need any of our players learning from his example if we want anything approaching a winning mentality.

You need good people around the squad. Experienced heads and good hearts. People who retain the linkage with the past; who know what it means to play for a team. Leadership and collective responsibility. Eddie knows best. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

4 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

At least he and Dummett are good in the dressing room and to have around the place. 

I know the real reason they likely stayed and got contract renewals is because FFP means we couldn't buy anyone else, but we've a limited squad with the injuries and these two bring nothing to the playing side when we're absolutely desperate.

Dummett has been OK the two games he's played, and we got clean sheets against Man U and Man City. I don't have an issue with him as 25th squad member this season and you can get away with him filling in last resort defensively - particularly if he's got a decent rest of the back four around him.

You can't get away with carrying players in forward areas of the pitch though. It's just so brutal especially considering our usually high intensity style of play. Ritchie has looked like a competition winner when he's got on. 

From what I've seen of him this year I don't think he's even Championship level anymore. He's utterly finished physically.

Edited by ponsaelius

2 hours ago, mouldy_uk said:

About as useful as a set of speakers put out on the pitch which shouts at people. Really can’t believe Hall wasn’t a better option :pilko:

What happened to that winger we had who scored a lovely goal against Gateshead via a Miley cross? He looked decent 

16 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

No one is saying it’s his fault that he’s shit. Or that he was chiefly to blame. The decision to give him a full half of football is indefensible thought. He literally can’t contribute.

Any time he comes on the pitch you are going to be worried. His lack of pace means he offers nothing going forward, and as a result the opposition can pile more men forward knowing he can't get in behind them on the counter.

It's not his fault he's still here but on the pitch there's always the fear it will cost you against any half decent premier team.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Klaus said:

10 more years!

The crowd were singing that song after he scored weren't they? :lol:

It did put a smile on my face, not gonna lie.

Love the bloke. Not much ability, but as a pro you couldn’t wish for anyone better. He’s still apart of the leadership group and a big influence apparently, given his playing time it’s a testament to his character to maintain that status within the squad.